PDA

View Full Version : Troy Soos books

D. Broughman
01-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Off topic I just picked up this Murder at Wrigley Field by Troy Soos and seen that he has other books. Baseball and a mystery sounded like a good combination. Has anyone read any of his books and would like a review. Should I read more? Thanks D.

bmarlowe1
01-15-2010, 10:26 AM
As best as I can ID the Cubs players shown on the dust jacket - none ever played for the Cubs at Wrigley Field. I hope the author paid more attention to historical accuracy in the book itself.

Bridwell
01-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I read "Murder at Fenway Park" and thought it was an entertaining read. He did a good job sprinkling in names of T206 players and information about the pre-war baseball era in general. It is fiction, so don't expect too much reality. The writing was fairly good, and the mystery interesting.

ibuysportsephemera
01-15-2010, 11:58 PM
He has 5 or 6 books if I remember correctly. They are all pretty good...and I bought them all pretty cheaply on eBay in paperback.

Rich Klein
01-16-2010, 04:43 AM
Who love his books and collect them. And knowing those people; I suspect they would never buy book #2 etc., if he did not stay true to the historical aspects of baseball

Rich

Michael Peich
01-16-2010, 06:59 AM
I've read all his Mickey Rawlings mysteries and thought they were best when he stuck with historical Dead-ball era characters. Hanging Curve, the sixth and final one in the series (1999) wasn't as compelling, and he hasn't written one since. He has also written a history of 19c New England baseball, and I felt he'd have a goldmine's worth of material from the 19c for some mysteries, but he never tapped that possibility. He's a good, historically factual read, and I recommend him highly. BTW, I think he's a physics teacher in a Florida high school.

Enjoy reading him, Mike

D. Broughman
01-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Read Murder at Wrigley Field last night an enjoyed it. Will read the dead ball era books. Thanks for the input! D.

PolarBear
01-16-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm currently reading "The Original Curse" by Sean Deveney about the 1918 World Series. 3 chapters in, it looks pretty good.