PDA

View Full Version : Did you publish a card book in 2008-2009?

Bob Lemke
01-10-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm going to be working up a "year in review" type presentation for the introduction of the 2011 Standard Catalog and would like to cite any recently published books on baseball cards.

If you've written or published anything in the last year or two, please respond here by giving me the title, date of publication, and, if available, the price and address for ordering.

Please don't be offended that I haven't got that data at hand, but I want to be sure I haven't missed anybody.

Joe_G.
01-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Title: The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Co. (1886-1890)

Published: Late 2008, first copies shipped January 2009

Authors: Jay Miller, Joe Gonsowski, Richard Masson (and many contributors from this forum and elsewhere)

Cost: ?? (Recently selling at $75)

Copy / Paste from recent thread:

It was noted that Amazon.com was out of copies but there are other ways to obtain the book including California Sportscards, sometimes eBay, or even from Richard Masson himself in a pinch. Here is one that ended a couple days ago, I'm sure another will be listed before long.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Judge-Photo-...item2c5274b239

California Sportscards:

http://www.californiasportscards.com...-p-324679.html

ethicsprof
01-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Bob,
great work,as always.
don't forget to take a look at the list of Net54 pubs---just click on Vintage Links above, then click on Net54 collectors pubs.
i know there are important articles listed for your time frame and maybe a book or two.
best,
barry

drc
01-10-2010, 11:56 AM
The following book clearly is about photos, but has a fair amount of baseball card-related info, including postcards, cabinet cards, George Burke, Carl Horner cabinets, etc

Guide to Sports Photographs by David Rudd Cycleback (2008 Hamerweit Books)

The only thing is the book is going out of print before long, as all my photo books are being replaced by one general purpose photo book-- which will cover similar material but without the sports exclusive theme. There was duplication of material between books, and it seemed best to have just one. All my in print books (including the currently available sports book) are listed/linked at cycleback.com, and are available at amazon and barnes and noble. The sports photo book will be in print and availible for a while (the replacement book isn't finished and, even when finished, it takes a while before it comes to market), so it's not as if the Guide to Sports Photographs will disappear next week.

I am still a sports photographs fan, so the future 'unisex' book gives due coverage of sports. Off the top of my head, I know there are pictures and descriptions of a Joe Louis snapshot, Willie Mays wirephoto, a 1869 Cincinnati Reds CDV and the original art photo for a Exhibit boxing card. It's just the book will also pictures/descriptions of photos of Abe Lincoln, Clara Bow and Ronald Reagan.

ErikV
01-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Bob,

In July, 2009 I published "Sweet Recollections: The Story of
the Philadelphia Caramel Company of Camden, New Jersey."
It sells for $15.40 (12.99 plus 2.41 for First Class Shipping.)

It can be previewed and purchased at www.PhiladelphiaCaramel.com.

ErikV

prestigecollectibles
01-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Title: 2008-2009 Japanese Baseball Card Checklist & Price Guide 7th Edition

Published: Mid 2008

Author: Gary Engel

Cost: $38.95 plus shipping available HERE (http://www.prestigecollectibles.com/Item.aspx?ID=683)<p>
http://www.prestigecollectibles.com/ItemImages/683.jpg

Exhibitman
01-10-2010, 01:48 PM
My new 2010-20111 edition of my boxing card guide is available as of today:

I am pleased to offer the revised and expanded sixth edition of my book “America’s Great Boxing Cards”, a price guide, encyclopedia and checklist of American boxing cards. You may purchase the book direct from the publisher at Lulu.com:

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/americas-great-boxing-cards-2010-2011/8191994

The latest edition picks up where the other editions stopped. It contains all of the data that made the prior editions so useful, plus a ton of new research. I have added many sets of vintage boxing cards to the listings, further refined the existing listings and checklists, expanded the Canadian and Latin American issues sections (including some newly-discovered sets), added new materials to the exhibit card sections, and added a section on Panini boxing cards to begin coverage of these interesting cards from the golden era of heavyweights.

Active collectors will find this book is a necessity due to the price updates. You will find vastly expanded pricing reflecting actual results of Ebay sales, auctions and private sales, literally hundreds of new prices. I still refuse to make up prices based on extrapolations from other cards, like so many price guides out there. If the card did not transact in the grade listed, I do not put a price in the book for it.

I have added 10 pages in total to the book but held the price at the last edition’s pricing.

sreader3
01-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Hey Bob,

In 2009 I published the Centennial Edition of my ebook, Inside T206, which updates the 2006 version.

Address: www.oldcardboard.com or Google "Inside T206"

Price: Free (although I accept paypal donations).

Scot