PDA

View Full Version : The standard catalog... other sports

cozmokramer
01-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Does the standard catalog exist for all other sports... hockey, football & basketball?

jbsports33
01-06-2010, 02:17 PM
yes,

they do, but never seem to be complete as the baseball issue

http://www.krausebooks.com/

Jimmy

Rich Klein
01-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Hoops; Football or Hockey; your best bet is still the Beckett tomes.

Even with the reduced manpower there, the books are still far and above those of any competition. And Charlton stopped producing Hockey books a few years ago.

Rich

toppcat
01-06-2010, 03:09 PM
I would love a big book that combined the four major sports plus boxing and a couple of other pastimes but ended at 1980. I have the Beckett big Football Guide from a couple of years ago and it's pretty good but I need a magnifying glass to read it.

aelefson
01-06-2010, 03:18 PM
For hockey cards, I would suggest the guide linked below. It appears to be very detailed and is written by Bobby who is a frequent poster on the Net54 Hockey forum as well as the Nonsports forum.
http://www.vintagehockeycollector.com/

Yours in collecting,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

toppcat
01-06-2010, 03:59 PM
For hockey cards, I would suggest the guide linked below. It appears to be very detailed and is written by Bobby who is a frequent poster on the Net54 Hockey forum as well as the Nonsports forum.
http://www.vintagehockeycollector.com/

Yours in collecting,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Yup-Bobby's book is great. Just be warned it is not a current price guide and does not have detailed checklists for many sets. Is is however, the best visual guide to cards I have ever seen.

buymycards
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
I just bought the Beckett 2010 Basketball, Hockey, and Football books. All are very thorough and are great references.

Bob Lemke
01-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Krause/SCD/Tuff Stuff/F+W surrendered the football, basketball and hockey annual catalog market to Beckett years ago. I believe their last FB book was 3-4 years ago, BKB a year or two before that and H about 10 years ago.

Shortly before I left their full-time employ in 2006 I suggested an all-sports "vintage" catalog, but the potential sales didn't fit the new owners' business model.

Rich Klein
01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
I would love a big book that combined the four major sports plus boxing and a couple of other pastimes but ended at 1980. I have the Beckett big Football Guide from a couple of years ago and it's pretty good but I need a magnifying glass to read it.

I heartily (and remember I'm not even there anymore) recommend the OPG's for any sport at Beckett.Com. The type is so readable and many times I price cards for sale while sitting at my computer desk.

Regards
Rich

toppcat
01-08-2010, 06:00 AM
I heartily (and remember I'm not even there anymore) recommend the OPG's for any sport at Beckett.Com. The type is so readable and many times I price cards for sale while sitting at my computer desk.

Regards
Rich

Rich is the OPG the smaller version or is that online? My problem with the smaller guides is they lack most of the oddball stuff. I use the guides mostly for research. I also use VCP, but for what I am looking for (series breakdowns, SP's, variations, etc) it doesn't always work either.

Guess I'll just have to develop my own...:D

Rich Klein
01-08-2010, 08:39 AM
The OPG can be manipulated in almost any way you want.

The OPG (full sport) has all the "book" sets that Beckett catalogs. I just searched for 1986 Will Clark and all of the issues in the Beckett DB and the pricing showed up. I think you will enjoy the OPG; and I'd give it a test drive.

I know that if you buy the OPG you can also print out checklists (not sure if priced) via a PDF.

No system is perfect; but I so much prefer the OPG to looking up prices with the mag glass :)

Rich