PDA

View Full Version : 1928 Star Player Candy Cards

giditgirl
01-06-2010, 02:27 AM
I have 11 of these cards. I know they are hard to find, but I am not sure how high of a demand there is for them. Could anyone give me their opinion. I am not ignorant to their value, only to the buying and selling game. Currently they are all raw and in very nice condition. Would it be considered logical and profitable to invest in having them graded? I would appreciate some honest and trustworthy advice. Here is a list of the ones I have.

Willie Kamm,
Riggs Stephenson,
Stanley Coveleskie,
Tris Speaker,
Garland Buckeye,
Elwood English,
Clifton Heathcote,
(2) Foster Ganzel,
Owen T Carroll
and Guy T Bush

Matt
01-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Congrats on the collection! If you're planning on selling them it's a good idea to have them graded; it will help buyers feel assured they have not been altered. Graded cards generally sell for more then raw cards.

giditgirl
01-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks Matt. Which grading service do you recommend?

Matt
01-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks Matt. Which grading service do you recommend?

SGC and PSA are the two that are the most accepted. My personal preference is that SGC seems to be more accurate and their cases look nicer.

smtjoy
01-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Agree 100% with Matt

canjond
01-06-2010, 08:29 AM
However PSA may maximize resale value.

JamesGallo
01-06-2010, 08:48 AM
However PSA may maximize resale value.

Based on the rarity of these cards, I doubt there is much of a registry battle for them so I think that SGC would be a better road and I don't think you will see much if any price difference between either of the companies.

The one thing you may want to consider is how each company grades. SGC will kill a card with writing while PSA will just give it a Mark qualifier. SGC kills cards with paper loss.

Then again I feel SGC would be more apt at correctly finding any problems and would likely be more accurate as to confirming they are correctly ided.

James G

ctownboy
01-06-2010, 10:12 AM
If you decide to get the cards graded and sell them, a fun little experiment might be to have one Ganzel card graded by PSA and the other by SGC and see if there is any difference in sales prices (if you do decide to sell the cards and they are in similiar condition).

However, before anybody says anything, I do know that PSA does NOT take individual cards for submission UNLESS a person is already a member of their club. So, it WOULD be a problem if Giditgirl wanted the rest of the cards graded by SGC but had to get six graded by PSA.

Anyway, good luck with your collection of SPC cards,

David

Brian Van Horn
01-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Although I have never had a card graded, I would suggest grading these given most collectors these days prefer graded cards.

Bridwell
01-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I reviewed the population reports for you. SGC has graded 76 cards from this set. PSA has only graded 11. With that in mind, I would use SGC. Someone collecting this set, or considering a registry set, would choose SGC. Your 11 cards are quite scarce, and grading them will increase their sale value quite a bit. Be prepared for some very low grades on the damaged cards, such as SGC 10 or SGC 20.