PDA

View Full Version : Starting My First Collecting Project- Philadelphia A's Autographs

cbcbcb
01-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Having been a member here for almost a year I am intrigued by some of the types of collections people accumulate. I am going to try to acquire an autograph of every player who played on the Philadelphia A's from 1929 to 1954. Only players who spent the most time at each position each season are included, i.e. the consistent starting lineup, rotation, and relievers. I will include some other players as well who did not spend the plurality of the time at a position. There should be 158 players if my calculations are correct. I chose 1929 since it was the beginning of their second mini dynasty and because Ty Cobb was there in 1928 and 1927, which would be expensive. I will be selling some things from my collection in order to complete this. Has anyone done something similar and have any advice for me?

yanks12025
01-06-2010, 04:54 AM
I tried just to collect the 1936 Yankees and Giants, i got over half of the players but i have since stopped and cant sell them for even half of what i put into them. So if your going to go through with it make sure you stick with it.

mr2686
01-06-2010, 05:41 AM
Hi Chris, that sounds like a great project. I also do team projects, sometimes mulit year projects. I completed an Oakland A's team project from 1971 - 1975 of all members on the playoff and WS rosters. I would say the best thing to do is do a little homework and see which ones of the 158 are real common and which ones are real hard. If you can't find any examples of a few being sold, call or email a reputable dealer and ask how often they come up for sale and approx how much they cost. Also, set aside some money for when those rare ones do become available. You may also want to determine what quality you're looking for, and expect to sometimes buy a couple of autographs of certain players...especially if you don't think you'll find another, and then you find one of better quality and you want to upgrade.
Good Luck and happy collecting!

Robextend
01-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Hey Chris,

I was thinking of doing the same thing with the 1977-1978 Yankees championship teams which would obviously be a lot easier than your project. Although I wanted to only collect 8x10 photo autographs and I know Munson would be the only one I would probably have to purchase at a premium.

Are you limiting yourself as far as the type of autograph, or are you looking for any (index card, ticket stub, etc...) Also are you concerned if the auto is authenticated by a third party?

Good luck with your project!!

Rob

GKreindler
01-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Just out of curiosity Brock, how far did you get with the '36 Yanks and Giants signatures?

bigtrain
01-06-2010, 08:30 AM
The project could still be expensive as you need Foxx, Cochrane, Grove, and Simmons. The 1935 team also included Vernon "Whitey" Wilshere, who I believe may be the only Cooperstown native to play in the major leagues. Good luck.

cbcbcb
01-06-2010, 10:50 AM
I am hoping to get the bulk of the 1929-31 HOFers in one multi-signed item. I would prefer not to get index cards, but I may have to. I already have some from A's who are still alive and I will try to get the other living players through the mail. Aside from the 1929-31 teams there aren't many HOFers.

stone193
01-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Hey Chris,

I was thinking of doing the same thing with the 1977-1978 Yankees championship teams which would obviously be a lot easier than your project. Although I wanted to only collect 8x10 photo autographs and I know Munson would be the only one I would probably have to purchase at a premium.

Are you limiting yourself as far as the type of autograph, or are you looking for any (index card, ticket stub, etc...) Also are you concerned if the auto is authenticated by a third party?

Good luck with your project!!

Rob

I followed the Yanks while I was at Columbia U in the late 70s - I went to alot of games - sat in the bleachers - they charged a buck 50 back then!

I have a large selection of team autopened small pics including Munson.
They look really cool - most people assume they're real.

I have considered the same project - and yes - the Munson would be the tough one.

Good luck.

stone193
01-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Having been a member here for almost a year I am intrigued by some of the types of collections people accumulate. I am going to try to acquire an autograph of every player who played on the Philadelphia A's from 1929 to 1954. Only players who spent the most time at each position each season are included, i.e. the consistent starting lineup, rotation, and relievers. I will include some other players as well who did not spend the plurality of the time at a position. There should be 158 players if my calculations are correct. I chose 1929 since it was the beginning of their second mini dynasty and because Ty Cobb was there in 1928 and 1927, which would be expensive. I will be selling some things from my collection in order to complete this. Has anyone done something similar and have any advice for me?

Can't give ya any help Chris - just want to wish you the best - that's quite a few really great players on the list!

GoldenAge50s
01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Chris--

I have a PC signed by 1st baseman Gene Hasson (1937-38 A's) (d. 2003) I will sell. If interested just drop me an EM.

HexsHeroes
01-07-2010, 07:09 PM

Chris,

My autograph collecting is similar, in that I focus primarily on one team (Detroit Tigers, 1900-1945). Since you're not limiting yourself to just 3x5's or single-signed items, team signed sheets, album pages, and GPC are a great way to go.

One suggestion: become familiar with which autographs are more difficult to locate, and educate yourself with what other teams (beside Philadelphia) those "tough" ballplayers played for. You never know when you might have the opportunity to pick up a tough autograph because it just happens to be on (lets assume) a St. Louis Browns team signed album page. Such an opportunity arose for me when I acquired a Charlie O'Leary autograph on a minor league team signed album page. No mention was made of his prior service with either Detroit, or 1927 N.Y. Yankees. Obviously, this item flew under the radar for many collectors. Best of luck.

cbcbcb
01-07-2010, 07:26 PM

Chris,

My autograph collecting is similar, in that I focus primarily on one team (Detroit Tigers, 1900-1945). Since you're not limiting yourself to just 3x5's or single-signed items, team signed sheets, album pages, and GPC are a great way to go.

One suggestion: become familiar with which autographs are more difficult to locate, and educate yourself with what other teams (beside Philadelphia) those "tough" ballplayers played for. You never know when you might have the opportunity to pick up a tough autograph because it just happens to be on (lets assume) a St. Louis Browns team signed album page. Such an opportunity arose for me when I acquired a Charlie O'Leary autograph on a minor league team signed album page. No mention was made of his prior service with either Detroit, or 1927 N.Y. Yankees. Obviously, this item flew under the radar for many collectors. Best of luck.

Thanks for the tip. I am actually pretty openminded about doing what you suggested. I think it would be interesting to get unique signed items from other teams that connect to the A's through one or two players. That way there will be sort of a spider web feel to the collection with the Philadelphia A's at the center.

darkpoet
01-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I have two postcards signed by team members and mailed from Philadelphia. The first one was signed in April 1954 by the following players:

Eddie Joost
Ed McGhee
Joe De Maestri
Bill Upton
Bill Shantz
Morrie Martin
Ossie Van Brabant
Bill Renna
Elmer Valo
Marion Fricano
Spook Jacobs
Alex Kellner