PDA

View Full Version : Frank Robinson cards seem to get the shaft...

mintacular
01-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Maybe my observation is off-base but it seems to me like Frank Robinson card values in comparison to his contemporaries are lower than they should be considering his strong HOF career accomplishments. Can anyone explain this or is the premise of my argument wrong? Thanks

BlueDevil89
01-04-2010, 10:04 PM
I agree - Frank Robinson cards are way undervalued considering his accomplishments (both during his playing days and after). He gets no love from either Cincy or the O's fans. Sometimes when you split a career with two or more teams you don't have a unified fan base that wants to buy your cards.

lutherlafy
01-05-2010, 06:10 AM
Frank Robinson was not very cordial towards fans during or after his playing days.
He hated signing autographs during his career.

bcbgcbrcb
01-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Probably not great with the media either, see Eddie Murray, Jim Rice, etc.......

D. Bergin
01-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Maybe my observation is off-base but it seems to me like Frank Robinson card values in comparison to his contemporaries are lower than they should be considering his strong HOF career accomplishments. Can anyone explain this or is the premise of my argument wrong? Thanks

I've always thought the same. ROY, 2 MVP's, Triple Crown, World Series MVP, Manager of the Year.

His numbers compare favorably to Mantle and the other top dogs of his era.

If he had been from a large market ballclub or had the personality of a Clemente his cards would be through the roof.

ChiefBenderForever
01-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Agree with all statements above. He seems to have been somewhat of a Barry Bonds of his era, minus the steroids. He does have some very nice looking cards, his 57 and 65 are as nice looking as any ever made.

olsport
01-05-2010, 04:29 PM
I always thought it is a great opportunity! If you collect Frank Robinson you would have an easier time finding the stuff you want and the prices lower. Plus other sellers may discount it even more if the player is more difficult to find a buyer for.
I always collected oddball & unusual antique sports memorabilia items so sellers didn't have a beckett to look in for pricing and I could pay what I felt was a fair price in my own mind, and not what a book with set prices tried to make me pay. Take Care!

hcv123
01-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Ultimately the value side of any item is a supply and demand issue. While I am sure there are many rare or scarce Robinson cards (short supply), there is also, likely for the reasons enumerated in previous replies to this post, a shortage of demand. Demand>Supply=upward price pressure, Supply>Demand=downward price pressure. So he may have been just as much the ballplayer that Mickey Mantle was, just a heck of a lot less people care. My 2 cents.

mintacular
01-05-2010, 09:13 PM
my thread is trying to uncover why there is not greater demand for his cards given his accomplishments. Some have already answered that, saying he was not a popular person and/or played for too many teams, etc.

toppcat
01-06-2010, 05:55 AM
my thread is trying to uncover why there is not greater demand for his cards given his accomplishments. Some have already answered that, saying he was not a popular person and/or played for too many teams, etc.

I think he was just a little under the radar in the major media markets. Willie Mays is probably just as surly but he played in NY and cemented his legend, then burnished it in SF. Robby's list of accomplishments is long and impressive though and I agree it's a headscratcher.

I also think his early cards are more easily found, especially in high grade, than say Mantle or Aaron. Big difference between 52-53-54 and 1957 in terms of cards printed and number still extant and in nice shape.

JasonL
01-06-2010, 07:21 AM
I am just underway in building my player collection of Frank, so I was a little dismayed to see this thread at first, but what the heck...it's no secret we have a 500 HR club member with several attractive cards in abundant supply. Keep the prices low and allows schmucks like me to swoop in and get them. I love Frank's cards from 1958 through 1964.
You're right though about the issue years...Frank's prices in the 1960s compare to those of Eddie Mathews, but those Mathews cards of 1956 and older are much tougher and more expensive to add to the collection...

Exhibitman
01-06-2010, 10:50 AM
One of my all time favorite players but I think he was unfortunate to have played in an era where he was not even among the three best starting outfielders: I'd take Mantle, Mays and Aaron over him (and perhaps even Clemente). He was perhaps the fourth or fifth best--and he is priced accordingly. Kinda the Ken Norton of his era (stuck behind Ali, Frazier and Foreman).

I do think personality has a role too. Mays was probably better than Mantle--except for a few peak seasons--but is priced lower than Mantle IMO in part because he is a real turd in a punchbowl at shows, while Mantle for the most part was cordial or even friendly at times. I know that he had that effect on my collecting. Mays was my favorite as a little kid but when I met him (or rather had him not even say hello in reply to my greeting as he was signing my baseball at a show) I sold off my collection of his cards. Sometimes meeting your idols is a bad thing...