PDA

View Full Version : Carver BB Cards

rdwyer
01-03-2010, 05:48 PM
This is our eighth year that I've done cards for our third graders. On the back, they write 50 words or less their favorite things in life. Each kid gets a complete set of their classroom, and a GAI graded card of themselves. Sorry, but couldn't use a child's picture here. So Adriana will have to do.

FrankWakefield
01-04-2010, 10:47 AM
So are these printed with a pc and printer, sent out to a printing shop, how do you do it? Can you custom make cards for some of us, and at what cost?

Neat thing to do for kids. If some of today's kids don't collect cards, the values of these cards will go crashing down one day.

mintacular
01-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I thought you were handing out cards with sexy babes to 3rd graders LOL. When I was a teacher I used to give out cards as prizes, etc. Some kids appreciated them, but many did not. Then again, I should have expected that handing out '87 Topps BB cards

Robextend
01-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Then again, I should have expected that handing out '87 Topps BB cards

Hey Pat, I bet you kept all those Canseco cards for yourself stashed away back then!

rdwyer
01-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Back in 2003, I worked in a few major print shops. We used a 2 color press in 2003, and a 4 color press in 2004. Nowadays we use a canon color copier that prints large size card stock, and cut em up with a cutter. I always had printers that did the cards for free. (Most 4 color press jobs start at $2000 a job back then. The machine cost 1/2 million)

Cost today is $.040 for 16 cards !!! We print 64 sets each year, plus uncut sheets which I like to frame at home. Less than $70 to do the entire third grade. We usually print a couple thousands cards a year.

The hardest thing about doing BB Cards is the registration. (Front & Back perfectly centered) Only 2 & 4 color presses could print BB Cards back then.

ethicsprof
01-04-2010, 10:37 PM
very interesting way and helpful way to teach these young ones!
many thanks for sharing.

best,
barry