PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette Packs Question

Pup6913
01-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Can any of you pack experts verify this listing as true. I can see from the pics it appears to be unopened but will it contain a card of any type????

I am just wondering if it may. Just looking. Thanks in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honest-Long-Cut-UNOPENED-pouch-T205-brand-tobacco-pack_W0QQitemZ320470044372QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item4a9d80ced4

marvjung
01-03-2010, 02:34 PM
need better pics of the tax stamp....

Zach Wheat
01-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Jon Canfield would be the one you want to run that one by.....his contact info and web site are listed in the vintage links area. His website is also bvery helpful. The Vintage Links area:

http://net54baseball.com/forum/content/vintagelinks.html

canjond
01-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Hey Andrew - that pack is not correct for the cards. Based on the style of tax stamp, it appears to have been issued in the 1930s. The correct HLC pack will have a blue tax stamp band with DeWitt Clinton's head and overprinting in big bold red letters that read 1911, for example.

rdwyer
01-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Just once I was would like to see someone post a pack with all the necessary info, perfect scans, etc. 99% of the time it's hyped, and it's missing info, scans, etc. (Purposely) If it had the real stuff, it would be at an auction house.

NYHighlanderFan
01-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Hello and Happy New Year everyone!

This Honest pack is mine...and I thought I did a good job with the pictures. Not sure what all the necessary info would be that I don't have listed. I have pack size, pack weight, pack condition. I would think the factory, district and overstamp are under the outer wrapper and not visible.

I didn't go through an auction house because of the horror stories I've heard lately. As of right now, this is the quickest and easiest way to auction anything off.

This Honest pack which was auctioned off in 2005 has the identical tax stamp as the one I'm selling...
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/723062

I was going off that auction result when originally listing the pack. I still think it's very fair and would be an excellent display piece!

Any comments, please fire away!!

rdwyer
01-05-2010, 02:25 PM
NYHighlanderFan:

The one you mentioned has the wrong tax stamp also. Like Jon said, it needs a Dewitt/Clinton stamp with 1911 overprinting in red.

GrayGhost
01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
For sure, any tobacco packs like those are awesome displays, card or not. Sometimes, people think that everyone is trying to deceive them. NY Highlander fan seems to have been going by what he thought was correct. I wish him the best with his auction.

Leon
01-05-2010, 02:33 PM
For sure, any tobacco packs like those are awesome displays, card or not. Sometimes, people think that everyone is trying to deceive them. NY Highlander fan seems to have been going by what he thought was correct. I wish him the best with his auction.

I am sure the ebay item was listed in good faith with information at hand. Then, when new information makes the description incorrect, it is up to the seller to change it, or leave it. It's not mistakes that define people it's how they are handled....best regards

canjond
01-05-2010, 02:46 PM
NYHighlanderFan - I checked out the link you provided. Unfortunately, that pack is also misidentified. GAI, for the most part, knew absolutely nothing when it came to dating cigarette/tobacco packs and most of the packs they have slabbed are incorrectly labeled and the years quoted are downright wrong.

I can see exactly what you used for the date and identification of your pack and I doubt you were trying to deceive anyone.

canjond
01-05-2010, 02:48 PM
As a follow-up, if I get out of work tonight at a decent hour, I will scan my HLC pack with the correct tax stamp to help shed some light on what I'm talking about regarding the red overprint on the tax stamp which correctly dates these packs. Unfortunately, the pack you have pictured does not have the proper tax stamp for the 1914 issued date attributed to it.

Edited to add - while this may not be the greatest photo of what I'm talking about, if you look at the HLC pack I have pictured in the scan here: http://www.baseballandtobacco.com/t227.htm or here: http://www.baseballandtobacco.com/t205.htm, you will see the bold red overprinting on the top of the tax stamp where the glare is.

NYHighlanderFan
01-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Slow day at work today, which has allowed me to come on here and see this thread. I also changed the description on the listing too.

canjond
01-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Please feel free to email me anytime with any questions you may have - I'd be happy to provide you with my resources such as scans from Springer's Guide to Tax Stamps (which helps identify the years certain tax stamps were issued), etc.

NYHighlanderFan
01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm the guy who emailed you the pictures of my Imperial Tobacco Piedmont shell over summer. Anything new with the packs those C-issues came in?