PDA

View Full Version : Look at this eBay listing

Edwolf1963
01-03-2010, 12:50 PM
OK, I had to ask - this one is new to me on several levels...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-Topps-Reggie-Jackson-R-260-Nm-Mt_W0QQitemZ260530308258QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Base ball?hash=item3ca8d104a2

I'd never heard of cards being short out of "a vending box" vs. pack or any other. If PSA says it's short, then how else besides trimming or a possible miscut..? He goes on to answer the question (or not) about trimming adding that PSA said it wasn't trimmed, but they won't grade it..?

"Please, No PayPal" - that's new, I thought eBay required it now.

Look how you can call out a non-paying bidder in the body with an autolink to his feedback account "A relist as reneged by..."

terjung
01-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Look in his answer...

"It still has the original striations on the edges." I would think that striations would be an indication of trimming - not the other way around.

dennis
01-03-2010, 07:23 PM
short cut cards.....55 bowmans yes for sure.......69 topps never heard that before.

ChiefBenderForever
01-03-2010, 08:21 PM
It's not trimmed it's just short ! So does that mean it grades A+ ?

Edwolf1963
01-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah, especially like the "PSA won't grade it, but they said it wasn't trimmed" comment. Who said..? The Mail Room guy..?

Like the CarFax ad where the guy says "I have better than a CarFax, I have a note .. from the previous owner - this car is great, I swear"

steve B
01-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Topps does sometimes cut cards short, and 1/32 isn't unusual, although I've never heard of it being a particular thing with vending boxes. (They also cut cards wide, narrow or tall) I'd worry about trimming though unless I could see what the slip from PSA said exactly. I talked to them at one time, and asked about cards that were made oversize or undersize, and they said if it was more than a certain ammount - I think 1/64 either way they wouldn't grade it. The striations he's talking about are the marks left by the cutter that cuts the sheets into cards. You have to look at the edge under some decent magnification to see them. Different factory cutting methods leave different marks. For example Topps are/were cut with a blade that usually cut pretty smooth, while OPC were cut with a wire that usually leaves a ragged edge.

So - At best not trimmed, but undersize so it still won't grade, and you'd have to do a lot of explaining when it came time to sell. At worst, trimmed and being sold with a silly story.

Zact
01-06-2010, 11:23 AM
PSA will put a sticker saying something like N6 minimum size requirement or N9 evidence of trimming. BTW I have a vending box of 1977 topps baseball, some of the cards are cut taller and shorter, and they aint trimmed because I have had the original box since I bought it in 1977.