PDA

View Full Version : National in Baltimore

Jewish-collector
01-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Well, we are already into 2010. The National is in Baltimore in early August for the first time ever. It’s also the first time on the east coast since it was in Atlantic City in 2003. It’s in the Baltimore convention center right in downtown Baltimore. I understand there will be fewer dealers because of the smaller size of the convention center. I’m curious in your thoughts of the National in Baltimore…

http://www.nsccshow.com/show_details.shtml

T206BrownHindu
01-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Looking forward to going to my first National. It's great that the Orioles are in town, too. Based on past experiences, does anyone know when I should start booking a room?

mark evans
01-02-2010, 07:44 AM
It's about an hour's drive from my home (Falls Church, Va). Thinking of inviting my wife given the proximity to restaurants, shopping, etc. Of course, I have no idea whether or not she'll accept. Hope to see large Net 54 turnout.

Mark

Orioles1954
01-02-2010, 08:54 AM
I normally avoid card shows. However, there is no way I'm missing the National Convention in my own backyard!

James

Rich Klein
01-02-2010, 10:09 AM
I have posted this a couple of times; but I was in the area last year (can say that now) for a family wedding and took a day to go to the area where the show is.

The convention center is located right off a highway. Plenty of parking in the area *yes it is expensive if you want to be near the CC*. Good hotels in the area and all in walking distance. Again the hotels are more expensive than in Cleveland.

In addition, as has been pointed out; the Orioles are in town during the convention AND you are right near the water front. (Leon, if we have a chance, there is a MUST go to seafood buffet within walking distance).

Also in the area are two sports museums which are inter-related. For the purposes of this board, one of the two is the Babe Ruth Museum. You might have heard of him, he looked like he would be a pretty good pitcher before 1919.

It will not be as cheap to attend as Cleveland but a lot of positives including being in the Boston/Washington megalopolis. You are, of course IN Baltimore. You are close to Washington and only two hours from Philly and four from NY. I'd expect to see a lot of the East Coast dealers/collectors not only set up but also walking around.

Regards
Rich
b

Orioles1954
01-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Although I hate sea food, I will echo the sentiments of Rich. This is an extravaganza not to be missed for baseball fans. The Babe Ruth and Sports Legends are essential visiting places, and only across the street from the Convention Center! The Orioles will be in town, so come and visit the best cathedral for baseball in the world (my biased sentiment). Also within walking distance are

1.) The Inner Harbor and hundreds of shops/eateries
2.) The National Aquarium (go there!)
3.) The Maryland Science Center
4.) ESPN Zone and the neighboring Hard Rock Cafe

Parking will cost anywhere from $15-25 daily based on availability and day.

James

Leon
01-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Did I hear someone say "buffet"? Count me in!!

Rich Klein
01-02-2010, 11:23 AM
I'll ask my friends exactly where; but we walked to it from Camden Yards! Which means we can walk to that place from the show :)

A little more expensive then the buffet we eat lunch in sometimes (BTW, lets do lunch on Monday if you can -- either Tin Star or the Buffet, you choose)

Rich

Jay Wolt
01-02-2010, 11:27 AM
James, don't forget Fort McHenry where the Star Spangled Banner was written.
Its on one of the stops in the Inner Harbour via the water taxi's

toppcat
01-02-2010, 12:06 PM
I plan to attend the National for sure this year, will likely just hop on Amtrak.

The food in Balto is quite good but the nabes beyond the Inner Harbor and Fells Point can be dangerous, especially at night. I have run into problems in Baltimore twice after wandering (not that far off) off the beaten track and friends of mine have too. Camden Yards is a great place for a ballgame, for sure but ya gotta watch yourself in Baltimore.

Orioles1954
01-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Very True!

Don't get lost in Baltimore.....it is very easy to do, just be very very aware of your surroundings. For those who like more of the bar/tavern scene....Fells Point is definitely the place for you. The food in Little Italy is tremendous, but the surrounding neighborhoods are dangerous. I've only seen one person shot in my life, and it was passing through one of those places. The stadium complex and Inner Harbor really saved Baltimore.

baseballfan
01-02-2010, 01:02 PM
its close this year, last time i went to a national was NJ 03, so i hope i get to go for atleast one day.

scottglevy
01-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Despite becoming a first time dad myself in 2010 (if all goes well), I plan to attend the Balt. national with my dad.

I would really love to display some of our cards for a day. Is anyone interested in renting us their table (or part of their table) for a single day?

Regards,
Scott

scottglevy@yahoo.com

Jewish-collector
01-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Baltimore has the very best steamed crabs on earth. We should all go to a crabhouse for dinner one night...

Kawika
01-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Are crabs Kosher??

toppcat
01-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Baltimore has the very best steamed crabs on earth. We should all go to a crabhouse for dinner one night...

I'm allergic....:(

Buythatcard
01-06-2010, 05:05 AM
I prefer hotdogs at the ballpark.

mark evans
01-06-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm up for crabs, Alan, but schedule uncertain at this point, especially since my wife may be joining me for the trip. Let's talk as show approaches.

Mark

Matt
01-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Are crabs Kosher??

no-sir.

sportsamerica
01-09-2010, 07:33 AM
I'm planning on going as well... If you are coming from out of town I would also recommend the aquarium.. If you don't want to stay in Balt, you could look at places north (like York PA/HBG PA) would be about 1 hr drive, but might save you $$ on hotel costs..

tiger8mush
01-09-2010, 07:43 AM
any confirmations on who will be signing and which days?

I plan on making it w/the fam, looking forward to a great time!

Rob
:)

roarfrom34
01-09-2010, 11:55 AM
it's a little early for a schedule to be out, although I do know that Cal Ripken Jr. will be among the signers

tiger8mush
01-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Which days (Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun) are generally the best - price/autos/selection - if you could only pick one or two days to go?

Rich Klein
01-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I'd choose Friday Afternoon/Saturday; many dealers bail out after Saturday/Early Sunday and thus those are your two best days for pricing

I'd choose Wed/Thursday for selections and buying opportunites of tougher items

Rich

judsonhamlin
01-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I am going to try and make my first National since '03.

Charm City can be pretty dangerous (remember the ninja Hopkins student this summer?), but there are some great areas too- Fells' Point, Hampden. I hope that the show is successful enough to bring it back to the north east once in a while.

And, congratulations, Scott!

effe
01-28-2010, 12:56 PM
In case anyone is interested, Orioles single game tickets went on sale the 23rd. There are home games every day of the National.

Danny Smith
01-28-2010, 05:27 PM
First group of National auto guests has been announced...

http://www.tristarproductions.com/National/index.html

HexsHeroes
01-29-2010, 11:38 AM

Rob G.,

I'm partial to going to the National Show on Thursday (as early in the day as possible) inorder to have the best opportunity to see (purchase ???) everything that is available. I suspose Wednesday evening would be even better, but I haven't done that yet.

I realize the trade off for having the opportunity to consider purchasing more quality items is the premium price that one must pay. But given how few some of the items on my want list have been available for purchase, I'd much rather have the opportunity to make that decision (to buy or not to buy at that high price) than to not have the opportunity at all.

But if it's bargains you seek, Saturday or Sunday must (surely) offer better opportunities.

Thanks, and good luck.

Jewish-collector
01-29-2010, 12:28 PM
I agree with Rich. Wed/Thurs for selection. Fri/Sat for better prices.

tiger8mush
01-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the recommendations! We just booked a room at the holiday inn for wed & thursday night and purchased tix to the orioles/angels game on thursday night! My wife and kids will be visiting museums and shopping with my money while I get to window shop at the National :)

What night is the net54 dinner?

Rob
:)

Jewish-collector
01-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Rob G,

Glad you are coming to the National. In the past, the Net54 dinner has been on the Thursday night during the National. Looking forward to saying hello to you there.

Alan

nolemmings
04-06-2010, 10:08 AM
I'd like to book my National trip in the next week or so, and was wondering if there was any further consensus on where folks will be staying. I've never been, and would like to know, for example, where the Net54 dinner will be held, and maybe get a handful of suggestions as to decent hotels within walking distance. Also, is Baltimore a good cab city, or should I think about renting a car if I stay further out or want to do the tourist thing? Thx in advance.

Leon
04-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I'd like to book my National trip in the next week or so, and was wondering if there was any further consensus on where folks will be staying. I've never been, and would like to know, for example, where the Net54 dinner will be held, and maybe get a handful of suggestions as to decent hotels within walking distance. Also, is Baltimore a good cab city, or should I think about renting a car if I stay further out or want to do the tourist thing? Thx in advance.

I am not sure about where folks are staying but there won't be a Net54 dinner this year that I will be doing. There are a variety of reasons for this. One of which is that I don't care for the actions of many individuals on the board in the last year. If anyone wants to pin anything down specifically all you have to do is look back at the previous year. All of those very pointed (accusatory and worse) questions directed at me, guess what, I don't care for them. Otherwise, I hope to see everyone at the National. It will be a good time I am sure. regards

oldjudge
04-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Leon--you must be thinking of Scott Elkin's board.

Leon
04-06-2010, 10:50 AM
NO, it's this board. Several of the day to day posters fall into this category. Would you want to do something special for people that question your integrity and give you a really hard time?

oldjudge
04-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Special bad, not special good

Leon
04-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Special bad, not special good

exactly....and I hope to spend a lot of time with you, Richard and Scott again....always a lot of fun!!

oldjudge
04-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Me too!

scottglevy
04-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks Jud.

Regards,
Scott

Peter_Spaeth
04-06-2010, 11:13 AM
http://www.attmansdeli.com/

whitehse
04-06-2010, 11:54 AM
I am not sure about where folks are staying but there won't be a Net54 dinner this year that I will be doing. There are a variety of reasons for this. One of which is that I don't care for the actions of many individuals on the board in the last year. If anyone wants to pin anything down specifically all you have to do is look back at the previous year. All of those very pointed (accusatory and worse) questions directed at me, guess what, I don't care for them. Otherwise, I hope to see everyone at the National. It will be a good time I am sure. regards

Wow.... sorry to hear there will be no dinner this year. I had signed up to attend in Chicago a few years ago and was not able to make it at the last minute. I will be attending this years National and was looking forward to the Net54 dinner.

Leon, I totally understand where you are coming from and will make a point to stop by your table, as I did in Chicago and say hello! I dont say much on this board but I do check in several times a day to see whats going on. I was hoping to meet some of the other guys but hopefully I can meet many of them while looking at your table!!

Thanks again for the boards!!

Al C.risafulli
04-06-2010, 12:51 PM
I am a very, very bad man.

Very bad.

-Al

barrysloate
04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
There's a Seinfeld line going on in almost every thread!

Jewish-collector
04-06-2010, 01:10 PM
This is very sad news that there is no Net54 dinner. It was one of the best aspects of the National weekend.

Buythatcard
04-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Sorry to hear that there won't be a dinner this year. I met some real nice people that night.

I thought that Leon did a great job putting it together last year and am sorry that he is not able to do it again.

Hopefully, I'll get to meet some of the other board members hanging out at the tables or the hotel bars.

longstreet766
04-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Sorry to hear about the dinner being cancelled this year. It was always a very enjoyable time. Hopefully, some of us can get together at the National.

Mike Gray
gray766@hotmail.com

Looking for Lady Baldwin OJs

Irwin Fletcher
04-06-2010, 01:49 PM
This will be my first National - I got a room at the Baltimore Hilton because it is adjacent to convention center. Also, it's right across from Camden Yards - anyone planning to catch an O's game that weekend? I'm going to try to catch either the Saturday night or Sunday afternoon game.

T206DK
04-06-2010, 02:23 PM
I too am sorry there won't be a dinner this year. It's a shame that a few bad apples have to ruin it for the rest of us. maybe I'll see some of you guys around the show or around town at a restaraunt or bar...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5RUe02kPWvg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5RUe02kPWvg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Buythatcard
04-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Speaking of Camden Yards. How tough is it to get tix for a game? Do you think that there will be tix available at the box office during the week of the National? Just how far is it from the convention center?

Orioles1954
04-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Camden Yards is literally across the street. Tix shouldn't be tough.

mark evans
04-06-2010, 05:38 PM
I second the recommendation for Attman's Deli. A mighty fine corned beef sandwich.

Sorry to hear no dinner but respect Leon's judgment. Look forward to catching up with Leon and Board members at the show and nearby hotel bars.

Mark

uffda51
04-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I'll miss the dinner, Leon, but totally understand the reasons why it won't happen. I didn't go last year but I'm going to Baltimore.

tbob
04-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Sorry to hear about the dinner being cancelled this year. It was always a very enjoyable time. Hopefully, some of us can get together at the National.

I'll miss the 54 Dinner too but there are lots of chances for members here to go to dinner together in groups or just hang out at the hotel bars and have a good time. We have always done this in the past and I see no reason we can't this year. I remember in Chicago (or was it Cleveland) when about 25 of us got together to eat dinner together after the show ended one day. It seems like one night in Cleveland there were about 15-20 of us in the bar (along with Don Larson) and we had a great time. There are so many fun guys here that there will be plenty of opportunities to get together,

nolemmings
04-06-2010, 09:21 PM
T-Bob, I'm glad you mentioned that night in the sports bar with Don Larsen (twas Cleveland). I'm hoping you can fill in the last hour or so for me. My bar tab may have matched my show spending. Last I remember I was discussing with Al C. and Ryan C. the merits of whether Mays or Mantle was better. Was pretty blurry-eyed the next morning, even mistook a T206 Marquard for Matty and told bunches of folks how a seller had mis-priced the card and what a steal it was. What a party!

Al C.risafulli
04-06-2010, 11:16 PM
It was, of course, Willie Mays.

-Al

Jewish-collector
04-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I'll miss the 54 Dinner too but there are lots of chances for members here to go to dinner together in groups or just hang out at the hotel bars and have a good time. We have always done this in the past and I see no reason we can't this year. I remember in Chicago (or was it Cleveland) when about 25 of us got together to eat dinner together after the show ended one day. It seems like one night in Cleveland there were about 15-20 of us in the bar (along with Don Larson) and we had a great time. There are so many fun guys here that there will be plenty of opportunities to get together,

Let me know which hotel bar you're hanging out at. :D:D:D:D:D

Sterling Sports Auctions
04-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Does any one now how far the army ordinance museum is from Baltimore? I would love to go if it is not too far away. Also is there anyone that knows the best way to buy tickets for the Orioles, game day through scalpers or through the ticket office.

Lee

ullmandds
04-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Lee...I believe they have a scalp free zone in Baltimore...where people can re-sell their tix for face value...this usually works well esp if a low demand team is in town. I don't know where the army ordinance museum is?

Jewish-collector
04-07-2010, 12:55 PM
If the team is lousy by that time, getting tickets will be trivial.

birdman42
04-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Lee,

The Army Ordnance Museum is at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, which is only about half an hour north of the city. http://www.goordnance.apg.army.mil/sitefiles/OrdnanceMuseum.htm

Another cool museum is the National Cryptologic Museum (not the same as the Spy Museum in DC) at Fort Meade, about 20 minutes south of the city. Exhibits about things like hobo communication and the Navajo code talkers in WW II. http://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic_heritage/museum/

Or the National Museum of Civil War Medicine in Frederick, an hour west of Balto. http://www.civilwarmed.org/

Or the B&O Railroad museum, right in Baltimore. http://www.borail.org/

Bill

wondo
04-07-2010, 05:06 PM
I will be making my first National since the Atlantic City debacle.

Leon, sorry about the dinner, but I will buy ya a drink (or two)!

John

Jay Wolt
04-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Bill Don't forget Fort McHenry which is halfway from the Inner Harbor to Fells Point.
A quick 5-10 minute ride on the water taxi gets you there.
The Fort looks like it did in 1812
Recommend it highly

danc
04-07-2010, 05:26 PM
I am speechless...I have no speech!* No dinner...because of a few schmo Net54'ers?

C'mon Leon, you can work around that. If you cancel because of them, they win! The schmo's win! 100 golden tickets or something. Make it the hot ticket in town.

I actually can't wait. Long break between Hunt-Philly shows and I heard about a joint called Di Pasquale's that is supposed to have amazing Italian food.

Don Larsen at a bar? No way! That guy likes the sauce?**

DanC

* Jerry

** Three A.M in Cooperstown, could be witnessed urinating in an alley AND he canceled an area show because he fell down a flight of stairs late the previous morning.