PDA

View Full Version : Recieved Exhibit Vending Machine today-Broken

cbcbcb
12-31-2009, 11:53 AM
I recieved my exhibit card vending machine from USPS, but the glass is broken. I have never recieved anything broken in the mail before, so this is all new to me. The ebay seller purchased insurance, so I contacted them to get some information in order to file an insurance claim. Since the glass is only one component of the machine, how do I get reimbursed? I bought the machine for $300, and I assume it was insured for that amount, but how does reimbursement work? I really like the machine, but I bought this one because it actually had the glass, which is missing on a lot of machines. So now it has lost value. Is it better to just return the machine or do you think USPS will give me a pretty good money for the claim? I wonder how easy it is to get a piece of replacement glass made by someone? Here is a picture of it. Any help would be much appreciated.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt311/cbcbcb_photos/IMG_1031.jpg

sb1
12-31-2009, 12:18 PM
and go to any local hardware store or local glass/screen store, even most big box(lowe's, home depot,etc) and they can cut new glass for you.

As to the PO you will probably get remibursed what it costs to do the above.

Scott

D. Bergin
12-31-2009, 12:34 PM
and go to any local hardware store or local glass/screen store, even most big box(lowe's, home depot,etc) and they can cut new glass for you.

As to the PO you will probably get remibursed what it costs to do the above.

Scott

Yup,

And honestly by the looks of it. I doubt that was the original glass anyways.

CarltonHendricks
12-31-2009, 12:45 PM
CB, Please keep us posted on this, how it goes. It's been my experience that it's a nose bleed to get your money from the USPS....I think all shippers begin with measuring to see if there are 3 inches between the item and the wall of the box. Essentially they look to see if it's packed right. I think I've received very few packages that were packed right. Mostly they get thru by fortune. In 23 years of collecting, I can hardly recall getting reimbursed, but I more recall filling out paper work and getting denied. Basically I see it as, if it's under $100 it's not worth the frustration. But maybe your claim will be approved. Packing, shipping and insurance are a whole subject to themselves.

I'm big on original glass...it's a big part of a piece's value to me.

perezfan
12-31-2009, 01:01 PM
I like the original glass as well. I received a 1920s Arcade game in a similar state (with broken glass) because the shipper did not properly protect it (to Carlton's point, they rarely package properly).

The good news is that antique glass is available on ebay and elsewhere. The original glass was thicker and had a "wavy" texture, that cannot be matched by anything available in today's market. The glass is now thinner and is perfectly clear (no waviness/depth to it).

If you can find the wavy glass, just have it cut to fit your machine. It wont cost much. Lots of times, old framed photos and vintage picture frames on ebay have the antique glass (if you can't find it otherwise). The vintage glass makes a surprisingly big difference in the appearance of your machine.

cbcbcb
12-31-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't think I will even bother dealing with USPS because the packaging wasn't very good at all. Te machine was practically sticking out of the box and the glass was not individually wrapped with bubble wrap or anything. I wish I knew whether the glass was original or not. I will look into that antique glass.

drc
12-31-2009, 01:27 PM
As noted, getting a replacement glass should be easy. Cutting glass is a simple task. My sister is an artist, and she's cut glass often.

2dueces
12-31-2009, 01:45 PM
I agree. I bought a painting and fed Ex dropped it and broke the glass. Had it replaced and never even bothered with the claim. Would rather have the painting then the hassle of return and refund.

cbcbcb
12-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Already called a local hardware store and they sell glass and can cut it. Looks like that is what I will do.

cdn_collector
12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
I have nothing constructive to add to this post in terms of how to deal with USPS when it comes to insurance claims (I live in Canada).

I just wanted to chime in and state the obvious: That is a super cool piece!

Regards,

Richard.