PDA

View Full Version : More crap.....

autograf
12-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Our friend 'blessed' collectibles on ebay has another batch of forgeries out there. I know the disclaimer is that they don't know if they're real but come one.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Newsboy-Brooklyn-Base-Ball-Player-SUPER-NICE_W0QQitemZ160390311375QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Ba seball?hash=item255801edcf#ht_500wt_1182

Here's a nice N566 Newsboy with the Baum & Bernstein tagline at the top that I won off ebay around 1998ish. Subsequently sold and just recently resold in a Robert Edward auction. Guess that's where the scan was stolen and manufactured into more 'blessed' collectibles.

teetwoohsix
12-30-2009, 03:48 PM
These "blessed" gems are straight out of ol' grandma's closet..........sure does know a little something about the size of "cabinet" cards though.......hhmmmnn..........:confused:

jcmtiger
12-30-2009, 04:21 PM
1st of all I don't like reprints for myself. I wish ebay had a separate catagory for them. But, he/she says he believes it is a reprint. So, he is not trying to pass off as original. I know everyone hates these type of auctions.

Joe

barrysloate
12-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Could somebody explain what ;o) means?

batsballsbases
12-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Barry,
Looks to me to be an Emoticon ;o) Which is a textual expression representing the face of a writers mood or facial expression. As far as I can make out the symbols mean smiling,happy,shock or surprise. Kinda like this:eek::eek:

3-2-count
12-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Barry, it's a wink ;)

barrysloate
12-30-2009, 05:22 PM
I thought it was a religious thing, like a Jesus fish or something. Guess I read too much into it.

batsballsbases
12-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Barry,
Emoticons can be a language into its own. There are so many symbols and meanings you could write a book in it or use it as code. Example B-) means cool -@--@- means eye glasses. Its very intresting. And you thought I only collected pins!:D:D

barrysloate
12-30-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm out of that loop Al...but I find it interesting. I also miss every abbreviation, and it gets me frustrated.

batsballsbases
12-30-2009, 05:43 PM
I feel for you Barry!! Now watch the person probably just hit a few extra keys at the end of God Bless just to throw us off the trail that he is a fraud.;);) See if you press the winking smiley that little symbol that comes up when you type is an Emoticon!!!!!!!!!

drc
12-30-2009, 06:49 PM
I think it means someone screaming because he has a pencil in his left eye.

drc
12-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Also, if the seller is making them, this is forgery and against the law, plain and simple-- irrelevant to what weasel "I dunno I jus a lil kid" disclaimer used. You don't have to claim something is 100% authentic to go to prison for forgery-- you only have to make and sell a forgery and not make it crystal clear to the buyer that he is not purchasing an original. If you made a reprint, you have no legal option but to say as clear as day its a reprint at sale. Saying "it could be" or "or I think it might be" won't hack it, because you know it isn't.

jcmtiger
12-30-2009, 08:54 PM
From ebay auction "I do not think the image is original and I believe it to be a reprint".

Seems clear to me that it is a reprint.

Joe

drc
12-30-2009, 09:51 PM
If the seller made the items, the essential and telling question is "If you knew they were reprints, why did you not specifically tell this to the buyers?" The only honest answer is, because the seller was hoping the buyers would mistake them for originals and pay accordingly. As I said before, if you made the reprints you have no option but to specifically tell the buyers they are reprints. Saying "I think they likely are reprints but you judge for self before deciding home much to pay (fingers crossed)" isn't enough. Of course it's not as deceptive as saying "They are originals," but the law still considers it deception. And what is forgery? The making of a fake or reproduction with the intent or hope of fooling someone else into thinking it's genuine. So if you make a reprint with the hope that an eBayer mistakes it for genuine, you are a forger.

ctownboy
12-30-2009, 09:54 PM
jcmtiger,

The problem isn't that the seller says he thinks the pictures are reprints, the problem is that the seller is probably MAKING these Franken cards himself!!

If that is the case, then he KNOWS these things are reprints, should be putting something on the picture which says reprint and should be making it CLEAR in the listing that these are reprints. That way, anybody who is shelling out money for these things will know what they are buying AND, more importantly, people in the future WONT be fooled thinking that these things are REAL and VALUABLE.

I know New Albany, Indiana. I have been antiquing there many times. It would be REAL EASY to buy a box of REAL cabinet cards (inexpensively), remove the REAL pictures from them and THEN surf the net, download pictures of REAL baseball cards (or Indians), resize the pictures so they will fit the dimensions of the cardboard cabinet backing and then glue the REPRODUCTION picture on.

Voila, A Newsboy actress card or a cabinet card of somebody's unknown relative becomes a "baseball player" or an "Indian". Then a $3 dollar cabinet card becomes a $30 dollar (or higher) "lotto" ticket that a buyer is hoping is real.

If the guy isn't getting these cabinet cards from antique stores on Market Street or Main Street in New Albany then Louisville, Kentucky is right across the bridge, so he can go over there and antique or go to Stewarts Flea Market.

As far as fraud goes, I REALLY hope somebody does go after him for that or gets him kicked off eBay for selling this junk.

drc
12-31-2009, 01:28 AM
To Barry, visa vie emoticons, you can ignore typed emoticons if you wish. Believe me, your life isn't lacking if you can't read them. The animated ones are largely self explanatory, if similarly useless.

I'm an Oxford alum, and to me the funniest thing about Oxford University is they have written rules for emoticon use and the rules are taken seriously. I kid you not. If you want to know Oxford's official position on the smiley face, I can tell you.

barrysloate
12-31-2009, 04:51 AM
Thanks David...and for the record it's vis-a-vis.:) You know how those spelling errors get to me.

drc
12-31-2009, 02:23 PM
I spent times at two English institutions, and both times they tried to make me English. And they weren’t covert or subtle about it. The first time I thought it was interesting, the second time it bothered me. One thing I laugh about to this day is when I was told I had to write in English (as opposed to American).

The philosophy behind their rules is there were a lot of internationals involved at both places, and they wanted to have smooth communication between everyone. Like it or not, English English is the international standard, not the American version we speak. Oxford promotes the use of smiley faces, frown faces and such to prevent miscommunication between internationals, in particular when someone’s cracking a joke. So evidently, the smiley face is considered universal language.

barrysloate
12-31-2009, 02:35 PM
David- I assume when you were in Oxford you went to Black's Bookstore?

ChiefBenderForever
12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
I thought it was a religious thing, like a Jesus fish or something. Guess I read too much into it.

That's pretty funny ! Like when Elaine took the Jesus fish off Puddys car and then he and the priest said she was going to hell.

barrysloate
12-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Exactly.:)

slidekellyslide
01-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Even more crap from a different ebay ID..he or she has a slug of these fake cabinets on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1888-New-York-Ball-Club-Cabinet-or-Team-Card-Nice_W0QQitemZ330391320606QQcmdZViewItemQQptZArt_P hoto_Images?hash=item4cecdb781e

And don't you find it odd that both these sellers use the same patterned cloth background yet one is in PA and the other is in Indiana?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Female-Base-Ball-Players-Allen-Ginters-Cabinet-Photo_W0QQitemZ160391257839QQcmdZViewItemQQptZArt_ Photo_Images?hash=item2558105eef

2dueces
01-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Even worse crap. This actually pulled in over $150.00. Seller had 2 more that did pretty well also. What a racket.

E-bay #290385180513

slidekellyslide
01-03-2010, 01:54 PM
I had a back and forth email conversation with M-n-M Sportscards last night and this morning and they have agreed to put "Reprint" in the title of their auctions from here on out. They are not the same seller that is in Indiana, but they did in fact purchase 300 of these repro cabinets from them.

Edited to add: I notice they have done this already with the ones they have listed that do not have bids yet. Much appreciated on their part.