PDA

View Full Version : While We're on the Subject of Card Shops- Any Good Ones in SE PA?

cbcbcb
12-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Are there any good card shops in the southeast PA? How about any around Lancaster? I think there might be a decent one in Havertown but I have never been there. In Pennsylvania we are blessed with auctions and flea markets, but I don't know of any good card shops.

Mike (18colt)
12-30-2009, 07:24 PM
There was a guy who ran "Classic Collectibles", first in the Exton Square Mall, and then in a strip mall off of Rt. 202 in Devon, who had a lot of material (cards, vintage and new, and coins). Unfortunately, he "retired" at least 15 years ago - I think he had a horse farm and sold the land to a developer and moved to Florida. No idea where the cards ended up.

About a decade ago, there was a small shop in Lancaster just off of the main drag that had vintage (I overpaid for Thebo for the T-206 set - he was my first Southern Leaguer). Nice guy, ok selection, higher end pricing. No idea if it still exists, as I haven't been back that way since.

Zern's Flea Market in Boyertown, PA, had an old hunchbacked lady about 10-15 years ago that sold cards. Rarely had anything vintage, but it was low grade and somewhat affordable (and Beckett price guide reliant). Again, no idea if she or someone else took over that booth.

Several smaller stores used to exist in Montgomery, Berks, Chester, and Lancaster counties, but are no where to be found. Too much new shiny stuff, the card recession of 1989-1991, and the advent of eBay (well, sites before eBay, like Teletrade, and the internet as a whole) ended most of the stores in PA to my knowledge.

I understand that there are some stores spread out in New Jersey. At the very least, there used to be a mall show circuit in NJ and PA that had 2 or 3 guys with decent vintage material. Maybe someone can help out here?

I'm in Delaware now, and aside from the occasional antique dealer or coin dealer having a card, nothing to speak of here, either.

Sorry I can't help you more. I know some people on this site live in SE PA and should be able to better shed some light on this.

Mike (18colt)

KNH
12-30-2009, 07:50 PM
It isn't a big card shop but there is one at 4312 Division Highway(route 322) in Blue Ball,PA. From what I remember, there aren't any prewar cards. They are only open Wed. and Fri. 6:00-8:00pm and Sat. 10:00-3:00pm. 1-717-354-5900 There is also Mt. Penn Sports Cards 2252 Perkiomen Ave. Reading,PA 1-610-779-5282. I have never been there. There is a large shop at Fairgrounds Square Mall in Reading,PA 1-610-921-3160. I was only in recently to buy some supplies and didn't have time to look around. Also there is one at Park City Mall in Lancaster,PA. Here is the website. http://www.bobssports.net/

JLange
12-30-2009, 08:19 PM
There is a shop in Media PA that doubles as a card shop and ski shop. I will try to get the address and post it tomorrow. The shop has a decent selection of cards, with maybe 5% prewar and the rest nice Topps and other issues 50s -70s or so. I went in a few months back and bought a T206 Stovall card and 2 Kahns Indians Cards, including 1959 Kahns Herb Score.

JLange
12-31-2009, 03:23 PM
I just stopped at this shop on the way home from work. Cards & Sports, Inc. in Media, PA. Phone # 610.566.0655, owner Jim DeCorso. I had a great conversation with Jim, and I am happy to provide his info for the brick and mortar store project. Jim had maybe 10-15% prewar cards displayed, including some T206 and even a T205 card, along with a few WG5 or WG6 and at least one W517 (regular, not the mini). Along with these cards, he had a good selection of topps, and other regional and specialty issues. While talking to Jim I spotted a nice pickup - 1948 Thom McAn Bob Feller 8x10 premium in overall good condition at a reasonable price, and bought it right away. If you go, I would call first, as Jim may have other items not displayed but available for sale. I'll post the store info again on the other thread along with my pickup.

glynparson
12-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Mt. Penn Sportscards in Reading PA. There are also a number of antique shops in Adamstown and Sundays Renningers Farmers market in Adamstown where there is always some prewar material.

cbcbcb
12-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Yeah I have been to Adamstown quite a bit. Reningers and all those antique places seem to have good stuff on occasion, but it seems to be hit or miss.