12-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Please post

roarfrom34
12-29-2009, 09:38 PM
the relationships forged with like minded people

FrankWakefield
12-29-2009, 10:10 PM
ditto that.

Sometimes I'm able to give someone something they've been after for a while... And sometimes a card I've sought just appears in the mail. It is like having angels out there.

Once in a while someone can enlighten you on the nuances of a set, stuff that the guides and the magazines miss... there are some great guys out there. Many don't post here, they don't even look here. Still waters run deep...

Like how years ago I met Rich Klein when he was attending a Diamondbacks game with Lew Lipset. I was at the game, and went down to meet Lew, whom I'd known through letters and the telephone for years... Rich was with Lew. And years later, Rich and I realized that we'd met... (Jose Jimenez no hit the Diamondbacks, and won, 1-0, beating a dominate Big Unit, who allowed a broken bat single to drive in a run in the 9th). Hey Rich!

Kawika
12-29-2009, 10:36 PM
The chicks.

Bicem
12-29-2009, 11:08 PM
the hunt.

rhettyeakley
12-29-2009, 11:21 PM
The hunt...for Chicks

alanu
12-30-2009, 01:17 AM
the hunt... followed not so closely by the buyer's remorse

wolterse
12-30-2009, 06:34 AM
Reading about the hobby in OC, reading books on the deadball era, shows and connecting with other die-hards!

Exhibitman
12-30-2009, 06:34 AM
The chicks.

Yeah, chicks dig guys who collect cards.

The friendships.

Jewish-collector
12-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Fantastic topic !!!

A lot of you are (and will be) making jokes, but Rich's question is exactly the same question that I asked Josh Evans (Lelands) at the Net54 dinner question & answer portion in regards to his high end clients.

Over the years, I have also asked this question to some of the most prominent collectors in the hobby. I usually ask the question this way, "There's usually nothing in the auction catalogs that you can't afford, but I'm just curious what aspects of the hobby do you really enjoy the most ?" The responses usually address that they actual enjoy collecting low end material too, but only their winning/owning expensive material in the auction catalogs gets into the hobby newspapers. They also mention the relationships that they've formed with other collectors & dealers/auction houses over the years.

Alan

quinnsryche
12-30-2009, 07:04 AM
the hunt... followed not so closely by the buyer's remorse

I agree 100%, wait maybe I don't.

David W
12-30-2009, 07:08 AM
I've been collecting on a theme for the last year, the top 15 St. Louis Cardinals at each position.

I've been slowly chipping away and getting their cards.

For me it got me back into baseball history, which I used to love until I got to busy with kids and work. I never knew how good Ed Konetchy was, or who Fred Beebe was, or that Dal Maxville would make the top 5 shortstop list of anything.

Now I've got a 3 year goal to complete this.

Robextend
12-30-2009, 07:24 AM
For me it is all about owning a piece of history and learning about the game I love so much.

Also if chicks do dig baseball card collectors, can you steer them into Staten Island NY? I have yet to meet one that fully tolerates my involvement in the hobby.

D. Broughman
12-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Learning about the players and the game. I love to hear stories of how the players affected the game and our history.

mark evans
12-30-2009, 07:50 AM
The friendships. But, a close second: the adrenalin rush of finding a card I've been seeking for years, bidding, hopefully winning, awaiting/receiving in mail.

mcap100176
12-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Mark's close second is "it" for me. Nothing like walking to the mailbox hoping that the most recent purchase came. I feel defeated when they don't come.

Rob - My chick fully tolerates my involvement in the hobby. You need to move from State Island to NJ.

Robextend
12-30-2009, 08:18 AM
I agree with Mark too, when I open my mailbox and see only bills it gets pretty depressing.

I am in Jersey a lot!! My Brother is in Edison, my best friend is in Middlesex and SGC is in Parsippany!

drdduet
12-30-2009, 08:21 AM
The education.

Jim VB
12-30-2009, 08:25 AM
The obvious answer is: Free Parking

Myachelydra
12-30-2009, 08:28 AM
The chase/hunt...whateve you want to call it. Just as important are the relationships.

Kawika
12-30-2009, 09:04 AM
The most enjoyable part of the Hobby is the escapism it affords me from the godforsaken realities of the 21st Century. The old cardboard is grist for imaginings of a world that used to be (but probably never was), a cinema in my mind of characters in baggy flannels acting out a grand American fantasy. And the chicks.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/bbbofsfirstclass/holygrailcards/websize/ny_082749.jpg

barrysloate
12-30-2009, 09:16 AM
David- I think that world from the past really did exist, I just don't think it was as idyllic as we might imagine. It would have been wonderful to spend some time strolling through 19th century America...unless you had some strange disease they hadn't even named yet. Then maybe it would be better to be alive today.

hank_jp
12-30-2009, 09:24 AM
That's an easy one.
The relationship that it has cemented between me and my son.
It's probably close to 25 years since Scott got me back into collecting due to his early interest in baseball cards and the bond has only grown stronger over time.
Whether it is that magic connection between father, son, and baseball or father, son, and collecting - I loved having that with my dad and love having it with my son.
Everything else is just a bonus.

Hank

Jason Carota
12-30-2009, 09:26 AM
The history of the cards, players, and baseball itself. The people I have met (in person or online only) are also a large part of what make this hobby so enjoyable.

Rich Klein
12-30-2009, 10:00 AM
And that was a great game!

Rich

uffda51
12-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Seeing a card or photo you've never seen before. Spending time with other collectors of pictures of dead men. Standing on concrete floors for five days straight at the National. Finding the last card you need for a set or goal.

And the chicks.

PolarBear
12-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I was on the old forum last year but just recently joined this one.

I love the technical research. I'm particularly fascinated by Ted's T206 series and back research. I love reading those threads.

I also like the historical context that the players were part of, cf Ken Burns.

The best sports book by far I've read in the last couple of years was Crazy 08by Cait Murphy. I love her sharp wit and writing style. "Quoth the Turkey" makes me laugh every time.

Anthony S.
12-30-2009, 12:03 PM
That first moment when you notice that a difficult card you need (not want --- NEED) for a particular set you are building is up for auction.

teetwoohsix
12-30-2009, 12:24 PM
I,like everyone else,love the thrill of the hunt.And waiting for the next card in the mail(and getting it!).And learning details about all the different cards I don't know alot about(and a good amount of that is from this board:)).I have a great wife who is also a huge Dodger fan,and also supports my T206 addiction-but if you guys are getting chicks from collecting cards-more power to you:D:D:D
I also love owning a part of history,one of the reasons my interest in cards is about 96% vintage pre war,4% post war and current.
And,last but not least-finding Net54.I have learned so much from this board and everyone on it-thanks Leon,and the moderators,and the participants(and even the lurkers)for running this wonderful project,I've seen the most amazing cards on here,alot of which I will probably never own,but LOVE to look at them!!!Also-thanks Trae for turning me onto this site!!
Thanks,Clayton

Leon
12-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Part of the fun of the hobby is finding new stuff. I was just looking for some dupe cigs, from vintage packs for my good friend Jon C., and when I opened one of my Mecca packs this was inside. I don't know how long I have had the pack but it's not every day you can pull a 100 yr old card from a pack.....

ethicsprof
12-30-2009, 02:08 PM
As Leon said to me elsewhere, it's all in the
QUEST.

best,

barry

jbsports33
12-30-2009, 02:40 PM
the History!

and the people I work with and meet

Jimmy

mark evans
12-30-2009, 07:27 PM
As Leon said to me elsewhere, it's all in the
QUEST.

best,

barry

The 'quest' is the foreplay.

rc4157
12-30-2009, 07:51 PM
For me it was the discovery of a completely new world of vintage baseball cards.

Having collected from around '67 to probably '73 or so and then picking up on the craze of the late '70's and early 80's only to have it disappear until just a few years ago with the emergence of '33 Goudey's from a friend's dad's collection....then on to some tobacco cards, which other than the Wagner, I knew nothing about... to my current addiction as it is today.

How's that for a run-on sentence Barry?

RC

PS - This site has provided an abundance of knowledge and cyber friendships so it has to rank near the top as well. Please don't tell my wife about the chicks, although I don't believe she is too concerned after attending the National Net54 dinner this year.

oldjudge
12-30-2009, 08:18 PM
The people, and the acquisition of knowledge about what I collect (much more important to me than the little pieces of paper).

Rickyy
12-31-2009, 02:36 AM
I just love the simple excitement of hunting for new acquisitions. Now its not as exciting as doing it in person at shows like the old days, but its still a thrill none the less.

I also agree with the others, discovering Net 54 site for me has been a real blessing! :)

mart8081
12-31-2009, 04:15 AM
For me there are a number of reasons:

The excitement of opening a package and seeing the card(s) inside for the first time. Scans are great but to see the card in person is something else!

I like the fact that I'm constantly learning from other collectors, websites such as this and books.

Finally, its good to be part of a group of collectors who share your interests (there are too few of us on this side of the Atlantic Ocean.....)

cardswin53
12-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Accumulation of Cardinal history as told through their baseball cards and related memorbilia & acquisition and display of these artifacts and relics

JasonL
12-31-2009, 10:40 AM
ditto that.

Sometimes I'm able to give someone something they've been after for a while... And sometimes a card I've sought just appears in the mail. It is like having angels out there.

1) the STUFF!
For me this hobby's enjoyment has always just been about the stuff to collect.
2) The People!
I found this Board in 2006 and since then, I have had a few occasions where something pertinent to my collecting shows up unannounced in my mail. Freebies. But not like 1989 donruss freebies. Serious freebies. Nothing worth more than $50, but serious personal value. Here's a few examples: Rich Klein sent me a fantastic photo of one of my cousins that I had never seen before, and just said to send him sometihng small back if I ever feel like it. The photo is amazing, and I never would have found it if not for his help and generosity (paying it forward, you might say), so I had no worries at all about hooking him up with a pretty decent Whitey Ford card that no longer fit in my collection. Dan Bretta gave me the most amazing gift of knowledge in March of this year when he alerted me to a listing for two of my cousin's bats. I have never dropped $600 faster without even a whiff of a second thought! And for the first time in a long time, I experienced the exact opposite of buyer's remorse - I don't know what it is, but I love it. On a couple occasions I have also received Burke photos in the mail from a couple of prominent West Coast collectors...This kind of experience is not to be overlooked when examining why we collect, and post and read on these types of boards, etc...

3) the chickens. If you follow the early portion of this thread, you will see that the question is begging to be asked: Has anyone here experienced buyer's remorse after the thrill of the hunt for the chicks is gone? :cool:

calvindog
12-31-2009, 11:44 AM
The great guys in the hobby.

Bicem
12-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Exposing shady auction practices.

Koufax
12-31-2009, 01:23 PM
A fascination with how baseball took hold in the 1800's and the rare surviving little pieces of cardboard that played a role in the spread of the sport. Wish I could go back in time, even for just a few minutes. It's the nostalgia that does it for me, even if it was a rogue game. And I agree with Bruce, standing on concrete for 5 days. And the chicks ...

Yes, Sandy (me) is a guy ... :D

ChiefBenderForever
12-31-2009, 01:37 PM
Being a newer collecter to preWWI and pretty much only collecting Chief Bender every card I get is pretty much an issue I have never heard of or really even knew was out there. Of course the history of the game and how it really hasn't changed all that much is also very facinating. It is also entertainment and does bring one back to a simpler time where we only think of the good times and peaceful kodak moments, forgetting that women had no rights, minoritys were pretty much banned from the game, pollution was at an all time high, child labor was widespread,ect ect. We like to think things were different but really they were just as messed up as today. It's like dreaming of the Roman days and all the great buildings but forgetting that most people lived in shacks and went to the bathroom in a pail and when finished just threw it out in the streets.

cfc1909
12-31-2009, 01:38 PM
I share almost every move I make in my collection with my oldest daughter Janna. She is home on Christmas break from college until Jan.25 and we are having a wonderful holiday.

She should make the National this year in Baltimore and we should be at Dan McKees table. Stop by and say hi.

Both of my girls Sara & Janna

drc
12-31-2009, 01:42 PM
I enjoy learning about the history and material-- collectors are mini historians, whether or not they realize it--, and I've also made many collecting friends. I also like seeing the cool artifacts in person, auctions, other collections, etc.

olsport
12-31-2009, 01:52 PM
A friend got me started collecting by showing me his collection of 1800s to 1920s baseball memorabilia. After seing his collection I was excitingly shocked by the beauty & history of each piece. I enjoy the excitement that the knowledge I have acquired for many years can help me hunt down items that others don't have the same knowledge about, thus finding a good deal. There is something very special when I acquire, hold & look at items from the past that are from a time so very different from today.

deadballera
12-31-2009, 01:57 PM
The history of the cards, players, and baseball itself.

Watching Ken Burns "Baseball" is great for every vintage card fan.

Thank you to Net54. There are some great people I have met (in person or online only). Without you this hobby would not be so enjoyable.