PDA

View Full Version : Capadura matchbox...

base_ball
12-29-2009, 02:54 PM
This matchbox sold for what I think was a very reasonable price on eBay yesterday. The other side of the box shows another miniature version of a Capadura baseball-themed trade card. Are these common? Period?

Leon
12-29-2009, 07:04 PM
I saw that and was watching it. My guess is that it is 2 very inexpensive cards pasted onto a matchbox. I could be wrong but for that reason I didn't bid on it.....I have never seen another one.

cincicards
12-29-2009, 07:35 PM
I believe I saw another one on Ebay about a year or so ago. I wasn't sure what to make of it, the seller listed the box @ 1.5" X 2.25", the cards these are fashioned after are post card sized.

Leon
12-29-2009, 07:54 PM
I didn't notice they were mentioned as smaller. That being said I just compared to a few regular Capaduras I have laying around and these pictures on the matchbox look very grainy/fuzzy compared to the real cards. I just don't care for the little matchbox that could :(......

cincicards
12-29-2009, 08:12 PM
It did look a little suspect that's why I passed.

FourStrikes
12-30-2009, 02:21 AM
the topic of this post caught my interest as I have a pair of these (smaller) Capadura cards that I picked up about 10-15 years ago, yet the pair that I have measure about 2 3/8" x 3 7/8", definitely smaller than a traditional Capadura trade card, but also larger than the size that was mentioned in the ebay listing for those on the matchbox.

I've seen (and possessed) a number of the standard-sized Capaduras over the years, but had never seen any smaller versions with the exception of the pair that I have...I agree with the statement by Leon that the image IS grainy / fuzzy when compared to the actual Capadura cards, as that is the case with the two that I have as well (shown below).

I too have been suspicious of not only the smaller size but also the lower-quality image, and the fact that an even SMALLER version has now surfaced further puzzles me...while I have seen (and owned) matchboxes on which the label is about the size of a playing card, I've never before seen a Capadura matchbox in either - or ANY - size, although I am certainly no expert on matchboxes of any type.

the smaller versions that I have and the ones on the matchbox that you purchased both feature the same two cards ( "Judgment" and "Where will you have them?" ), which I find rather interesting...there is a bit of paste or glue residue on the back of the pair that I own which which shows that at some point the cards were affixed to some type of paper surface, but I am clueless whether these were removed from a scrapbook or ???

DS

Leon
12-30-2009, 07:12 AM
the topic of this post caught my interest as I have a pair of these (smaller) Capadura cards that I picked up about 10-15 years ago, yet the pair that I have measure about 2 3/8" x 3 7/8", definitely smaller than a traditional Capadura trade card, but also larger than the size that was mentioned in the ebay listing for those on the matchbox.

I've seen (and possessed) a number of the standard-sized Capaduras over the years, but had never seen any smaller versions with the exception of the pair that I have...I agree with the statement by Leon that the image IS grainy / fuzzy when compared to the actual Capadura cards, as that is the case with the two that I have as well (shown below).

I too have been suspicious of not only the smaller size but also the lower-quality image, and the fact that an even SMALLER version has now surfaced further puzzles me...while I have seen (and owned) matchboxes on which the label is about the size of a playing card, I've never before seen a Capadura matchbox in either - or ANY - size, although I am certainly no expert on matchboxes of any type.

the smaller versions that I have and the ones on the matchbox that you purchased both feature the same two cards ( "Judgment" and "Where will you have them?" ), which I find rather interesting...there is a bit of paste or glue residue on the back of the pair that I own which which shows that at some point the cards were affixed to some type of paper surface, but I am clueless whether these were removed from a scrapbook or ???

DS

Not to belabor the point but these two just shown, of which one is the same pose as the matchbox, look sharper, from the scans shown, than the one on the matchbox....As we all know many reprints are not as nice as real lithography and look blurry. I am still wary of the matchbox....

base_ball
12-30-2009, 11:40 AM
I did not buy the box. There were two snipers, with the underbidder placing a skeptical bid. I might point out that the poor quality of the images may have to do with the poor quality of the photo itself. An in-hand examination would do the trick. If it's a period piece, it's great.