PDA

View Full Version : Are There Ever Any Good Card Shows in Cooperstown?

Buythatcard
12-28-2009, 08:50 AM
Happy Holidays to All!!!

Are there any good card shows up in the Cooperstown area? I haven't been to the Hall of Fame since I was a kid and would love to get back up there. My wife and daughter have no interest in going so I thought I would be able to tie in a visit to a card show at the same time I visit the HOF. Does anyone know whether there are any upcoming shows in the area?

Thanks!

barrysloate
12-28-2009, 09:42 AM
I know there's a show on induction weekend. That may be the only one.

Northviewcats
12-28-2009, 10:48 AM
If you are going to look the Museum has one of the best collections of baseball cards in the world. I believe that some of the collection is on display on the third floor.

If you are going to shop there are several shops that sell cards on main street and near the Field of Dreams park just south of town. The prices are pretty high, but you may be able to barter. Barry is correct about the card show just across the street from the Hall on induction week. It is certainly worth going to, but is only available that one weekend a year. I've purchased cards from Ted Z and other vendors at the show every year. There is also a vendor in Ostego, Don Flewing (the spelling of Don's last name is probably incorrect), that has a nice assortment of vintage cards for sale. Don owns a antique store on Route 7 about thirty miles South of Cooperstown.

There are other members on the board that can give you directions to his store.

Cooperstown is a great place to visit anytime of the year. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Joe

bigtrain
12-28-2009, 11:43 AM
There are several fun winter events in Cooperstown. However, things are very quiet there this time of year. Many of the baseball-related businesses close for the winter and do not re-open until March or April. Also, it has been unusually cold the past few weeks (even for Cooperstown) with several single digit days and below zero nights and they are expecting the earliest lake freeze-over in many years. You should contact the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce for information as to events and businesses that may be open and check the weather forecast. I do like to visit the HOF at this time of year because you pretty much have the place to yourself.

tedzan
12-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Here are links to previously posted threads on Net54 regarding this annual show.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=114122&highlight=cooperstown+show

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=90353&highlight=cooperstown+show

TED Z

Jantz
12-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Here is the business card from the gentleman Northviewcats/Joe D. is referring to. I visited Cooperstown in October & went to Don's antique shop on my way home. Don and his wife are very nice people and their shop is easy to find too.

Hope this helps

Jantz

Kawika
12-29-2009, 08:03 PM
I googled "ephermera" and got 30,200 hits.