PDA

View Full Version : How to Look up a Boxscore

barrysloate
12-28-2009, 07:33 AM
We get regular requests from board members who need to look up a particular boxscore but don't know the best way to find it. Retrosheet is the best resource around, and most members don't realize we are linked up to it on Net54.

Let's say you want to look up some boxscores for the 1961 Yankees. Follow these steps:

1) Hit "vintage links" at the top of this page
2) Hit "historical links" in the box provided.
3) Hit "retrosheet" at the lower left
4) When on the retrosheet site hit the dropdown menu at the top of the page and look for "games", and then "regular season."
5) You will be given a chart with every year from 1871 to 2009, so hit the link for "1961."
6) You will be given the final standings for the 1961 season, hit the link for "New York Yankees."
7) You will be given several choices, choose "game log" from among them.
8) You will now have the dates, scores, winning and losing pitchers, and standings for each of the 162 games the Yankees played. Just hit "boxscore" for the game you want (it may be abbreviated) and you have not only the full box score but often a batter by batter summary for the entire game.

Keep in mind not every season has boxscores, as some of the earlier ones only have line scores. Don't know if they are still in the process of updating more information but even if they aren't, there are a staggering number of statistics available.

Enjoy the site, it's easy to get hooked...and Leon if you want to move this over to the memorabilia side please do.

Matt
12-28-2009, 07:36 AM
thanks Barry!
One can also click here (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/index.html) and skip to step 5 of Barry's instructions.

Leon
12-28-2009, 07:49 AM
We get regular requests from board members who need to look up a particular boxscore but don't know the best way to find it. Retrosheet is the best resource around, and most members don't realize we are linked up to it on Net54.

Let's say you want to look up some boxscores for the 1961 Yankees. Follow these steps:

1) Hit "vintage links" at the top of this page
2) Hit "historical links" in the box provided.
3) Hit "retrosheet" at the lower left
4) When on the retrosheet site hit the dropdown menu at the top of the page and look for "games", and then "regular season."
5) You will be given a chart with every year from 1871 to 2009, so hit the link for "1961."
6) You will be given the final standings for the 1961 season, hit the link for "New York Yankees."
7) You will be given several choices, choose "game log" from among them.
8) You will now have the dates, scores, winning and losing pitchers, and standings for each of the 162 games the Yankees played. Just hit "boxscore" for the game you want (it may be abbreviated) and you have not only the full box score but often a batter by batter summary for the entire game.

Keep in mind not every season has boxscores, as some of the earlier ones only have line scores. Don't know if they are still in the process of updating more information but even if they aren't, there are a staggering number of statistics available.

Enjoy the site, it's easy to get hooked...and Leon if you want to move this over to the memorabilia side please do.

Hey Barry
Informative posts like this can go everywhere/anywhere :). Thanks for helping out. I haven't used that site but if I need to, now I know where to find it.....and of course Matt finds a way to skip 5 steps..

bijoem
12-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Barry Sloate is giving internet tips. (and a good one at that)

what has this world come to?

barrysloate
12-28-2009, 08:16 AM
I figured somebody with real computer skills would find a quicker way to do it...I use the hunt and peck method...Joe knows what a boob I am when it comes to technology.:(

DixieBaseball
12-28-2009, 08:49 AM
This is a great resource tool... Now only if the Minor's had such an animal !

JJ