PDA

View Full Version : Old Cardboard magazine

badger_9
12-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Do any of you subscribe to Old Cardboard magazine? Is it worth subscribing, I'm also thinking about buying the past twenty issues for the holiday rate.

Any thought?

HRBAKER
12-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Yes I do, and YES it is.

Jim VB
12-19-2009, 01:33 PM
I subscribe. It's definitely worth it (I wish there were more issues per year.) And picking up the back issues is a good idea. They are a great source of info.

Griffins
12-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Definitely worth it. And while you're picking up back issues, add to your list the full run of VCBC, and Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards.

badger_9
12-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. I just bought the past 2o issued and subscribe for two years.

nolemmings
12-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. I just bought the past 2o issued and subscribe for two years.

A wise decision you'll be glad you made.

BleedinBlue
12-21-2009, 10:16 AM
I just bought the first 20 and subscribed as well. I'm reading through the back issues trying to catch up. Currently on issue 6. A great investment that is well worth the marginal annual fee.

Do it, you won't regret it. I have also recently picked up all 38 issues of VCBC and will be reading through those as well.

Any other publications worth subscribing too?

Brian

Leon
12-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I just bought the first 20 and subscribed as well. I'm reading through the back issues trying to catch up. Currently on issue 6. A great investment that is well worth the marginal annual fee.

Do it, you won't regret it. I have also recently picked up all 38 issues of VCBC and will be reading through those as well.

Any other publications worth subscribing too?

Brian

AS mentioned, Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards, is an absolute must have if you are a serious pre-war collector. It might be the single most informative book ever put out concerning our cards.....next to the current Krause SCD, which does an amazing job at cataloging and explaining (though very briefly) so many sets. So.....if you were to pick some here are the ones I would get (and you are already most of the way there)...

1. Oldcardboard subscription and back issues.
2. VCBC = the complete run of 38-39 issues
3. Lipset's Encyclopedia (around $30 all the time on ebay)
4. Current Krause SCD Baseball big book

If you get those 4 things you will be in really good shape for collecting pre-war and for having a good understanding of our cards, imo. Other than those only "time in" and experience will do any better. Also, looking at the Archive section on this board (upper right icon) will help quite a bit too. Good luck and happy collecting!!

BleedinBlue
12-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Lipset's encyclopedia is on the way. I have a Krause SCD guide but it is 2-3 years old. Good enough for now.