PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Delong Set Building Experience

drdduet
12-18-2009, 08:49 AM
About 5 years ago I put together the Delong set. Along the way I had difficulty locating a few cards. While the Gehrig was just a matter of $$$ it was always available. Foxx and Grove were at the time a bit tougher for me to find than most of the other subjects. Pepper Martin and Joe Vosmik were also a couple I had a bit tougher time finding.

I have not come across any significant resources to suggest that any of the subjects were short printed, but their general availability is most likely a result of their survivability. It certainly was a fun set to put together, and in my experience it is one of those issues that is not as scarce as once thought.

canjond
12-18-2009, 10:02 AM
I just finished a Delong set this week. I started the set in July/August. The final two cards for me were Foxx and Cochrane. I can't say I had any real difficulty with any of the cards. Foxx actually gave me the most trouble, but that was because most available for sale seemed to be way overpriced IMO.

BradH
12-18-2009, 10:07 AM
The '33 Delong set is one of my favorites of all time. It has great players, beautiful cards and a short checklist. I've been working on it for a few years and find myself two cards shy of the set (need #7 Gehrig and #10 O'Doul). I've really enjoyed the quest.

I started with a few raw cards, then won some auctions for graded cards, which I have since broken out of their holders and framed.

drdduet
12-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi Brad,

I recall that O'doul was another that I had a bit of trouble finding, and I totally agree--it's a great set!

barrysloate
12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I remember your set Darren, it was very nice!:)

36GoudeyMan
12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
I thought Riggs Stephenson was a tougher card to find....

uffda51
12-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Melillo was the toughest for me, for no apparent reason. I started with Gehrig, as a type, and then got sucked in. A cool set.

canjond
12-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Same thing Bruce - started with Gehrig, off the BST and got sucked in. It's my favorite 30s set.

ChiefBenderForever
12-18-2009, 09:40 PM
It's a wonderful set, very classic cards. I've never owned one unfortunately.