PDA

View Full Version : What happened with Legendary Auctions?

Vintagecatcher
12-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I was waiting to bid on an item that I previously had bid on, however, all the lots closed at the same time? The auction never gave me a chance to bid in extended time. It was bad enough that they extended the auction by a week, but this is nuts!

Anyone know what happened?

Patrick

Vintagecatcher
12-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Anyone else bid on the Legendary Auction?

I won, I believe, one George Gibson photo, however, the one I really wanted I never got to bid on, because all the auctions I bid on ended at the same time without an extended period.

I guess that will teach me to read the auction rules.

Maybe they changed the ending procedure when they extended the auction by a week? Never received an email either way?

Patrick

calvindog
12-16-2009, 05:25 AM
When you consider the confluence of great guys who were involved in this auction -- sort of like the mafia's 1957 Apalachin meeting but instead for morally challenged great guys -- are you surprised that something funky occurred?

Peter_Spaeth
12-16-2009, 06:08 AM
The Apalachin Meeting was a historic summit of the American Mafia held on November 14, 1957 at the home of mobster Joseph "Joe the Barber" Barbara in Apalachin, New York.

It was attended by roughly 100 mafia crime bosses from the United States, Canada and Italy. Expensive cars with license plates from around the country aroused the curiosity of the local and state law enforcement, who raided the meeting, causing mafiosi to flee into the woods and the surrounding area of the Apalachin estate. Over 60 underworld bosses were detained and indicted due to the disastrous meeting.

The direct and most significant outcome of the Apalachin meeting was that it helped to confirm the existence of a National Crime Syndicate, which some - including J. Edgar Hoover, head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation - had long refused to acknowledge.

Exhibitman
12-16-2009, 06:23 AM
Just in case anyone is confused:

Magilla Gorilla = Joseph Barbera

Thuggish Gorilla = Joseph Barbara

scottglevy
12-16-2009, 01:52 PM
I rarely slam people or auction houses in public. But I have to say a similar thing happened to my father Hank and I many months ago with two T205 drum cards. We were notified that we were the winners of two lots then told at a later date that we won neither.

While I am not prepared to cry outright fraud, I feel that the situation was handled excessively poorly and I have refused to participate in any Legendary Auction since that time.

Notwithstanding Coaches Corner, Legendary is my least favorite auction house.

SGL

Matt
12-16-2009, 01:58 PM
We were notified that we were the winners of two lots then told at a later date that we won neither.

Scott - can you clarify a bit - were you the high bidder when the auction ended?

scottglevy
12-16-2009, 07:06 PM
The exact details are a little blurry....but something very close to this happened:

We bid on two T205 drum cards and were being shown as high bid with the auction closed on one of Legendary screens. I believe that Legendary had a '30 minute' time window for topping bids. Had someone outbid us during the course of that auction which we happened to be carefully watching, I certainly would have placed another bid and possibly several other bids. But it showed us as the winner with the time expired.

I'm unclear as to how Legendary determined that we did not win those lots. Their explanation did not appear to make sense to me and a vague "we had technical problems" that night didn't seem like a very good answer either.

So that is more or less my story.

calvindog
12-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Scott, "technical problems" is a great fallback answer for great guys. I'm guessing another great guy just wanted the cards more than you.

Matt
12-16-2009, 07:41 PM
...it showed us as the winner with the time expired.

I'm unclear as to how Legendary determined that we did not win those lots. Their explanation did not appear to make sense to me and a vague "we had technical problems" that night didn't seem like a very good answer either.

Scott - I would be furious.

illini805
12-16-2009, 09:47 PM
The Apalachin Meeting was a historic summit of the American Mafia held on November 14, 1957 at the home of mobster Joseph "Joe the Barber" Barbara in Apalachin, New York.

It was attended by roughly 100 mafia crime bosses from the United States, Canada and Italy. Expensive cars with license plates from around the country aroused the curiosity of the local and state law enforcement, who raided the meeting, causing mafiosi to flee into the woods and the surrounding area of the Apalachin estate. Over 60 underworld bosses were detained and indicted due to the disastrous meeting.

The direct and most significant outcome of the Apalachin meeting was that it helped to confirm the existence of a National Crime Syndicate, which some - including J. Edgar Hoover, head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation - had long refused to acknowledge.

My Father's business partner was at this meeting. Frank Zito from Springfield Illinois.