PDA

View Full Version : The Memorabilia/Autograph that got away

mr2686
12-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Just curious as to which piece of memorabilia or autograph that you regret not getting.
For me, it was a nicely matted litho or painting (can't remember which) of Ty Cobb with a matted Check underneath. No big deal really, except the check was dated the exact day, month and year that I was born. Unfortunately, It was at the first big show that I had attended and was at one of the first tables I saw. By the time I came back to it, it was long gone. The other one was a cut of Claude "lefty" Williams from the 1919 Sox. The price was REAL good but I could not find an exemplar and had never seen his autograph, so I passed. Although not positive, I do believe it turned out
to be good. Oh well.

jacksons
12-15-2009, 12:36 PM
This Tony Lazzeri signed photograph:

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=59573#

perezfan
12-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Pair of 1910 Testi Baseball Satues that were on Ebay around 4 years ago. This was before I was familiar with snipe services. With about 8 seconds left to bid, my computer froze, and my snipe bid got in half a second too late.

The pair sold for $550 to an esteemed Net54 member. The only pair I have seen since then recently appeared in Hunt's, and was in lesser condition. It had a reserve against an estimate of $5,000 - $6,000. So I guess one man's pain is another man's pleasure (and you know who you are!)

packs
12-15-2009, 02:01 PM
A few weeks ago someone sold a Baseball Cabinet on the BST of a player from Chester, NY with a Goshen, NY photographer stamp on the back. I am from Goshen, NY, which is tiny, and was too late to the party. JMANOS got it for $295 and I later saw it listed on eBay for I think $795. Probably never see another one. Most frustrating thing is it might have some inherent value because of the age but it really only means anything to me. Might try to trade him for it at a later date.

slidekellyslide
12-15-2009, 03:54 PM
A few weeks ago someone sold a Baseball Cabinet on the BST of a player from Chester, NY with a Goshen, NY photographer stamp on the back. I am from Goshen, NY, which is tiny, and was too late to the party. JMANOS got it for $295 and I later saw it listed on eBay for I think $795. Probably never see another one. Most frustrating thing is it might have some inherent value because of the age but it really only means anything to me. Might try to trade him for it at a later date.

Packs, I'm sure you could work a deal out with Jim. He doesn't seem to hold things for long as he's a wheeler dealer.

packs
12-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Most definitely. He's contacted me about a trade but I just don't have anything for trade right now. I'm hoping to pick it up sometime in the near-ish future once I have something I think he might want. He seems like a guy who is more than willing to work with you.

steve B
12-15-2009, 05:52 PM
The one that got away for me was a really interesting Cobb letter. 2 handwritten pages responding to a fans autograph request. Nice condition, and in green pen of course.

The first page was typical "thanks for remembering me" sort of stuff. The second......Pure cobb like you read about. Todays players are no good, the game isn't what it used to be, racism etc.

A stamp guy that I hung out at had it when he was just getting into a phase of dabbling in baseball stuff. The price was decent but not great, and it would have been a major stretch to buy it on a college kid budget.

Wish I'd bought that one.

A second one got away and then got found again.

Fenway real photo postcard showing the hill in left field and a bit of game action. Signed and dated on the back by Frank Navin. Passed on it because it was a bit too expensive. Went to buy it later, but he'd sold all the baseball stuff.
Found it about 3 years later at a show a state away.

Steve

Rob D.
12-15-2009, 06:17 PM
In 2003 Mastro auctioned the trophy that Lou Boudreau was presented by Sport magazine in 1948 for being named its athlete of the year. It was a modest trophy, but that award by Sport was quite prestigious back in the day.

The trophy sold for $3,700. Who knows what the buyer was willing to go, but I always have felt I dropped out of the bidding too soon.

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=37269

lefty147
12-15-2009, 06:19 PM
When we first moved to Boise in 1993 I saw a fingerless glove at an antique store for 75.00. I thought it was too much. Oops. I would like to have that one back.

Mike

Fuddjcal
12-16-2009, 10:24 AM
this was back in early 1970's when Sports Hobbyist (I think) hit the streets and you could order by mail. I was probably 12-14 years old. I saved all summer for that $75.00!!! My dad wrote the check and he told me I was "nuts".

After checking the mailbox everyday for 3 weeks. My package arrived or did it? The card I saved all summer for was not in there:(. What was in there was a 1955 Sandy Koufax, 1956 Warren Spahn and a 1951 Roy Campanella along with about 10 other cards I can't remember. Also, there was a credit memo for $25.00.

The card I worked so hard for that summer. A 1952 Mickey Mantle.:eek: OUCH!

GrayGhost
12-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Mine didnt really get away, but had a sad ending. My friend and I had a "joint" card collection in the middle 70s or so. We went in on a card for Seven dollars, w a corner crease. Sadly, the collection was in his basement at the time and a flood from his washer ruined ALL, including..our.

HANK AARON ROOKIE CARD. :(

sylbry
12-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Mine is simple.

Not really an autograph collector any more but I do still collect autographs of Hall of Famers personalized to me. Since many are no longer here to personalize an autograph to me, when I find a signed item "to Bryan" I buy it.

Scott Gaynor had a Mantle signed promo photo to Bryan. It sold for the minimum bid of $100. I saw the auction one day too late.

jbsports33
12-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Everything I had and could have purchased from a

Rocky Marciano collection

Jimmy

MooseDog
12-21-2009, 09:50 AM
1934 Goodwill Tour of Japan Program I originally purchased from the Lefty O'Doul Estate auction. Was beautifully signed by the whole team (no Ruth) including twice by Gehrig. Was just out of school and short on money and sold it to Dick Dobbins for what I thought was a good price back then - $1500 but that's one I'd love to have back.

Always wondered where that piece ended up.

thekingofclout
02-10-2010, 07:43 AM
which is just about every single day! Several years ago I hemmed and hawed over an 8x10 TYPE I photo of Gehrig eating cereal. The same image that you see here...
(I didn't have this piece at the time)

It was sitting there for a few days and POOF :confused: it was gone. :(

At least I know who has it. I even sold him a Mantle/Wingfield TYPE I a couple of years ago. Hmm, maybe I could interest him in a trade...

springpin
02-10-2010, 09:26 AM
I passed on a 1920 WS press pin because I was looking for pinbacks. It was 1963 and it costs $10. I was tempted. If I had bought it I probably would have become a press pin collector.

Oldtix
02-10-2010, 09:58 AM
A really painful story...in the mid-1970s while I was away at college, my Dad dabbled in old tin can collecting and joined a small group that held monthly swap shows. A fellow collector and good friend always set up at the table next to him. He always showed Dad his new finds before offering them to anyone else. Dad was his best customer for several years.

At one of the shows, a rival collector rushed up to Dad's table and showed him a gorgeous die-cut full-color Babe Ruth counter display for The Sporting News. He had just bought for $15 from a guy as he was walking into the building.

Yep. Our friend sold it in the hallway as he was carrying it in...he didn't know Dad was interested in baseball stuff.

Some wounds never heal.

Exhibitman
02-10-2010, 02:28 PM
memorabilia-wise, I remember when the big raft of Cobb checks hit the market. I could have had one for $50 but the dealer had stacks so I figured why bother...d'oh!

Forever Young
02-10-2010, 02:36 PM
QUOTE=Exhibitman;781449]memorabilia-wise, I remember when the big raft of Cobb checks hit the market. I could have had one for $50 but the dealer had stacks so I figured why bother...d'oh![/QUOTE]

I have heard this story...before my time. Were Ruth cks only 100---250 at that time or close to as well?

My sob story....twice:

My dad bought me a R. Yount rc before 3000 hits and the Yount/Brett rcs exploded-only to go back down...but anyway.
I didn't care about Young nor did I even know who he was at that time so I traded it for a Billy Ripken F face card cuz that made me cooler in 6th grade.
I told my dad and will not forget his disappointment.
A year later(7th grade) at a show in the same place in ND, a diff guy had it. I knew it was the same one as it was in the same scratched up case with the same round/orange sticker in my hand writing for 20.00. Apparently, I thought I would buy it later OR my guilt was not great enough(at least didn't outweigh my yearning for some 1990 LEAF packs).
Now when I am older, the fact that I traded away this card my dad bought kills me. To this day, I look at the case and the presence of the little orange sticker on every Yount rc I see at shows.
I suck as a son...

HexsHeroes
02-11-2010, 06:01 AM

Orlin Collier single-signed baseball. Very obscure Detroit Tigers ballplayer and autograph, with considerable PCL/minor league history.

With four days left in the eBay auction for this item, there were bids placed by only two bidders (of which I was one). Next thing I know, listing no longer available. I'm left wondering what happened ? I attempt to contact seller numerous times, but no response.

I later found out the details when I just happened to meet the other bidder (it pays to be familar with eBay ID names) at the 2001 National Show in Cleveland. Turns out the SELLER contacted the other bidder and offered to sell him outright, this signed ball (which he accepted).

I'm still debating whether the moral to my story is that it pays to always be the high bidder during the course of an auction. I suspect that had I been the high bidder in this instance, I would have been given the outright offer to buy.

olsport
02-11-2010, 11:17 PM
I will try and tell this story as short as I can. The item is this huge 1890s baseball team photo. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/foospaul/Sports%20Memorabilia/1890sMamouthEclipseBBteam.jpg
I worked at a law office with a guy (Jack) that collected old baseball memorabilia, and he invited me over to check out some of it. I saw this massive Eclipse team photo in original frame on his wall and I was hooked! I asked if it was for sale and he said no.
That piece started me on a 20 year collecting adventure for any antique sports memorabilia item I could find. I went to garage sales, flea markets, antique & collectibles shows, card shows, ect. almost every weekend. Then about 10 years later, Jack said he would sell me the photo for 250.00. What I did to raise most of the money was sell an off condition Reggie Jackson Rookie card for 200.00, then added another 50.00. The photo has been on my wall ever since, and I enjoy it every day just as much as the very first day I saw it! If anyone has any idea who each player was, and where the team is from please let me know!
Olsport