PDA

View Full Version : Max Silberman -- Pre Obit

Rich Klein
12-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I recieved a very sad email from a mutual friend of ours that Max is now in hospice and will not be with us much longer.

I traded with Max on and off for more than 30 years and we always had a lot of fun talking to each other as well.

This is very difficult for me to write, in this holiday season but I can guarantee you when the time comes, Max will be headed to a better place!

In the words of TS O'Connell who wrote a tribute column to Max several months ago; Max is a mensch and will be missed greatly in the hobby and as one of the key people in the Philadelphia A's historical society

Regards
Rich

tedzan
12-15-2009, 12:05 PM
This is a very sad note. Max has been a great friend to me and many of us in this hobby.
I first met Max in 1981 at the Willow Grove Show. Besides trading BB cards, we hit it off
because Max is a true "trivia king", and with a great sense of humor. It wasn't that long
ago when I chatted with Max and I was hoping he would recover from his recent illness.

May GOD Bless him and comfort his family.

TED Z

oaks1912
12-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Rich... I posted the last time, and I'll try not to be repetitive, but met Max at the old Willow Grove shows and enjoyed his regular column in BHN. His wit, enthusiasm for the hobby, personality & character is really what this hobby needs more of. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to meet him.

ethicsprof
12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
my prayers are with him and his family.

best,
barry

Kalineman
12-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Max embodied all that is good about our hobby. I got to know him when we both were writing columns for BHN many years ago. He was simply a joy to be around. He understood the love for the hobby better than most. I consider my time spent with him to be some of my best times in our hobby. A great man.

mets41
12-15-2009, 11:08 PM
I agree with what you've all said about Max. I've known him since the late 70's and he was always a great guy. He'll definately be missed.

Rich Klein
12-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Sad news; albeit expected, to go with the other sad news I posed this morning

"Good morning. I am Max's son in law. We want to let everyone know that Max passed away last evening peacefully in his sleep.

Funeral plans are for this Sunday, December 27th. We will email more details to everyone once we have arranged them. You all meant a lot to Max and we appreciate your kindness."

Best regards,

John Scalzi

ethicsprof
12-23-2009, 10:53 AM
a great loss.
my heartfelt condolences to family and friends.

in deepest sympathy,

barry

Rich Klein
12-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Max was a prince of a guy, loved our game, adored his collection and family and was a fine friend to many. Others have captured him in their posts here.

In 1979, Max was the very first subscriber to Baseball Hobby News and we still have his canceled check. Soon after he became a columnist and he penned some of the greatest stories we ever had the privilege to publish.

There was a rule in the Baseball Hobby News office, and remember this was before email. The person opening our mail was directed to bring any envelope from Max directly to my office. No matter how busy I was, I shut my door and immediately read what he had written. His tales were always beautifully written, requiring virtually no editing. Max was a brilliant story teller, the rare hobby writer who totally captured the essence of baseball and card collecting, and often with a well-developed sense of humor.

His BHN subscription label included his name, address and the notation, No. 1. To Vivian and Frank Barning Max Silberman will always be No. 1.

Frank Barning
Las Vegas, NV
fbarning@gmail.com