PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Breakouts

John V
12-14-2009, 04:47 AM
I'm not one to break a card from a slab. (My collection is small and I still like the protection provided by the holder.) However, I enjoy reading the threads regarding breakout methodology. Most discussion involves hammers, screwdrivers, goggles and rubber gloves, oyster shuckers, etc.
I don't remember reading about the use of power tools such as a Dremel or jig saw. Seems these would be quick and safe for the card.
Thoughts?

autograf
12-14-2009, 06:37 AM
For me, it's a simple pair of pliers to a corner, break it off, then flathead screwdriver all around. Works like a charm.

shammus
12-14-2009, 09:01 AM
I've done a few breakouts but really only because some sets I like to enjoy in a binder and to do that, I gotst to free the card from the giant clunky slab they're in.

For SGC and PSA, my method is simple - position a butter knife right on the seem between the top and bottom portions of the slab. It helps if you position it over that little notch in the center where there's just a wee bit of additional space. While holding the knife and the slab in one hand, take a hammer and tap at the end of the knife handle until the blade pops between the two halves. (There will be a satisfying *crack* once this happens) After that, I set the hammer down and move the knife around the sides of the slab without ever getting the knife anywhere close to the card. Usually, after I move it down one of the sides, the entire slab falls apart at this point freeing up the card.

Hope that makes sense! :)

Al C.risafulli
12-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I use a dremel. Actually, it's a Black and Decker "rotary tool."

I begin my cut just underneath the flip, and saw down about halfway deep into the plastic, from one end of the slab to the other. Then, I just insert a flat-head screwdriver into the gap, pry upward, and the whole top half of the flip pops right off.

The whole thing takes about fifteen seconds, and no sharp instruments ever get near the card. It works with all slabs, although the Beckett slab is a little tougher to cut through because it's made from space-age polymer.

WEAR EYE PROTECTION. Eventually the blade weakens and breaks (I use the disposable, round, sandpaper blades), and goes flying across the room.

-Al

kylebicking
12-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Take pair of pliers, bust off top corners of slab. Jam flathead screw driver into where flip is, watch your fingers! Rotate 90 degrees until you here a popping sound. Insert flathead further into slab, rotating to pop more. Once the case is fully breached, drag tip of flathead down each side. You'll get through two or two and a half sides and the entire thing should pop out. I've done this method on many, many dozens of cases.

tbob
12-14-2009, 11:30 AM
For me, it's a simple pair of pliers to a corner, break it off, then flathead screwdriver all around. Works like a charm.

I do it the same way as Tom and it has worked well.