PDA

View Full Version : Need help! ... I'm planning a Break Out! .....

Potomac Yank
12-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Pssst ..... Ova heah!

I'm wanna doze dat collek card sets.
Weneva I geta a card dats bin slabbed, I crak dem opin en put dem in my book.
With a hamma en skredriva, I'm a masta wit da slabs called PSA & SGC.

Da problim I hav is dat I'm getten a few cards in BVG slabs.
I undastand dat dey ar tuff mammy jammas.
Wil I nede a jackhamma, or can dey be had?

NE help from da savy peepl arownd heah wil be grately apreesheateit.

Tanks,

Joe in cell # 666

Jantz
12-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Joe

BVG slabs can be tricky since the front part of the slab fits over the back piece like a lid, but I have broken them open before though.

I laid the slab down so that I was looking at the back of the card. Then I used a regular screwdriver and pried the slab apart near the top, close to the label/flip. Once you get it started, you'll see what I mean by "lid". Just take it slow.

Hope this helps

Jantz

Potomac Yank
12-14-2009, 10:38 AM
I'll keep that approach in mind when I get the BVG's.

Thanks again,
Joe

sportscardtheory
12-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Gently chipping away the top with a hammer and chisel has always worked perfectly for me.

bbcard1
12-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Gently chipping away the top with a hammer and chisel has always worked perfectly for me.

Thanks for the tip. I have been thinking about busting out my 1978 Dave Parker PSA 1 because I think it can get a 2.

Matt
12-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the tip. I have been thinking about busting out my 1978 Dave Parker PSA 1 because I think it can get a 2.

:)

matthew
12-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Careful with those BVG slabs, you could lose a finger!
My experience with them is "one & done" as I'm too scared to try another.

White Borders
12-14-2009, 07:48 PM
When breaking BVG slabs:

Step 1: Make sure you have medical insurance.

Step 2: Make sure you have someone available to take you to the ER.

Step 3: Forget about breaking a BVG slab - sell it on ebay and buy a card in a PSA or SGC slab.

But seriously, I use pruning snips to crack the corner and then a small screwdriver to separate the front from the back. I'd suggest picking up a cheap card to practice on first.

Best Regards,
Craig

ChiefBenderForever
12-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Be careful, a kid ended up in the emergency room after trying to open one with a screw driver. Another damaged the card after taking a hack saw to the end of the holder, he did get the card out but wrecked a corner.

Potomac Yank
12-14-2009, 11:13 PM
I've got 6 BVG's coming my way, and now I have to worry about whether my coverage will cover? :)

packs
12-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Knock three times. The password is "bacon"

GehrigFan
12-15-2009, 06:25 AM
But seriously, I use pruning snips to crack the corner and then a small screwdriver to separate the front from the back. I'd suggest picking up a cheap card to practice on first.

Best Regards,
Craig

Craig is correct, at least in how we do it. Use large bolt cutters to snip a corner off at the top, then use a small screwdriver (like those little ones made for eyeglasses) to GENTLY pry up around the top of the slab, and it will separate the slab. Also, if you do this and want the Pop Reports corrected, just mail me the old flips and I can have them taken out of the report.

FrankWakefield
12-15-2009, 06:38 AM
At this point in time, it is way too late to correct pop reports by mailing in slips.

I have a small stack of slips. Initially I did not save them. But one day I held onto one, and since then I've kept them.

Pop reports are incorrect due to some cards being broken out and the slip information not sent in... and the reports are incorrect due to mistaken identification resulting in incorrect slips at the onset. The matter is way beyond being correctable. At best they could be rendered less incorrect.

Fred
12-16-2009, 10:20 PM
I bet a Dremel tool and one of the handy attachments could safely and quickly open one of those slabs.