PDA

View Full Version : OT - Need advice on how to build a web site

orator1
12-13-2009, 03:53 PM
As a gift to my mother I would really like to build her a web site.
She is an author of children's books and just recently had a new book published.
It would be great if she had her own web site that she could refer people to for info about her books.

I've never built a web site before so I'm looking for advice.
What's the simplest way to go about this if I tried it myself?
If I can't figure it out or if it's too time-consuming for a novice, I would like to hire someone to do it.
Can you refer me to anyone who builds web sites?
Any information is appreciated.
Thanks!

Paul C.
Pr0726@aol.com

ethicsprof
12-13-2009, 05:09 PM
I remember some years back that our own Trae would help with websites and would take T206s in payment.
He's sure a master in this arena.

best,
barry

bbcard1
12-13-2009, 05:22 PM
If you want Easy and a cost of about $60 a year, go with the new Intuit website builder...it's easy...I worked through with a client. You can make it look good with a little work and requires little specific knowledge. This is pretty much my profession and I do a lot of website work fog good sized companies, but this is a good, affordabe solution for a lot of people.

http://www.intuit.com/

mdschulze
12-13-2009, 09:13 PM
I had no website design experience and used Microsoft Office Live Small Business for my website. For $15 a year you can design your own site, register a domain name, set up email accounts, and review reports for your site. If you are wanting a fancy site... DO NOT use this. This is very basic and the templates that you have to choose from are limited (although you can buy templates from third parties and use them here). You can check out mine for a reference:

www.transtexconsultants.com

I've never had any problems with this website host and I'll keep using them until something better and cheaper comes along.

orator1
12-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the ideas.
I'll try building it myself and see how it goes.
Paul C.

T206Collector
12-14-2009, 12:19 PM
...with a huge assist from my wife. I use Verizon since they also provide us with our Internet/TV/Phone service. The first chunk of memory is actually free with them and it only costs more if you upload more stuff. They have a site builder that basically walks you through it step by step. I found it really easy.

The results are found by clicking the link below: