PDA

View Full Version : 1970's Autographed Sets

Dalkiel
12-12-2009, 01:11 PM
I recently purchased a collection of several hundred cards that were signed in the mid 70's to very early 80's. I know that some people try to assemble complete autographed card sets, and I was wondering if there was a resource that would show which autographed cards from a specific set may be scarcer than others... if that makes any sense. For instance, obscure players that passed shortly after the set release etc..

I know it's a longshot, but I figured if there was some sort of reference that someone here would know.

Thanks!

David

HOFAUTOS
12-12-2009, 02:53 PM
David, I highly suggest you go over to sportscollectors.net and sign up for the forums. There are tons of set collectors from those years and they can tell you exactly who the rare ones are for each year.

There is a ton of knowledge over there.

Dalkiel
12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
David, I highly suggest you go over to sportscollectors.net and sign up for the forums. There are tons of set collectors from those years and they can tell you exactly who the rare ones are for each year.

There is a ton of knowledge over there.

I'll do it. Thank you!

edit: Am I missing something or does it really cost $15 to use the forums?

rfurnish
12-12-2009, 09:12 PM
David,

I may be able to offer you some help. I've been a member of that site for a few years now. There are some players, like Mike Marshall for example, that are notoriously difficult with any card. Which sets do you have?

Ron

Dalkiel
12-13-2009, 07:38 AM
David,

I may be able to offer you some help. I've been a member of that site for a few years now. There are some players, like Mike Marshall for example, that are notoriously difficult with any card. Which sets do you have?

Ron

They aren't really sets, just a notebook completely full of cards this guy got signed over the course of what looks to be 10 or so years.

The bulk of the cards are from 1974-1979 with some deviation.

Yeah I know Mike Marshall is semi-difficult on any medium. Unfortunately there are none in the book.

Thanks for the help!

rfurnish
12-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Here are a few other difficult names.

Jim Ray Hart is at the top of the list. Thurman Munson obviously. Ron Slocum, Mario Guerrero, Bill Sudakis, Bobby Mitchell, Herb Washington, Skip Pitcock, Pete Vuckovich, and just about any Latin player who has disappeared from the baseball scene. If you have specific cards/players that you want me to look into for you, please feel free to send me a pm.

Ron

Dalkiel
12-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Here are a few other difficult names.

Jim Ray Hart is at the top of the list. Thurman Munson obviously. Ron Slocum, Mario Guerrero, Bill Sudakis, Bobby Mitchell, Herb Washington, Skip Pitcock, Pete Vuckovich, and just about any Latin player who has disappeared from the baseball scene. If you have specific cards/players that you want me to look into for you, please feel free to send me a pm.

Ron

Thanks Ron for the information. Naturally I don't believe I have any of those guys. I really appreciate your help.

Unfortunately there were no Munsons. That would have been fantastic. 4 Billy Martins, 2 Aarons, 1 Koufax, 10 Nolan Ryans, and others. Below is a partial list of the guys included. All are on cards and 99.5% are signed in ink. I have multiples of most:

Tony Armas
Benny Ayala
Sal Bando
Jim Barr
Don Baylor
Mark Belanger
Larry Biittner
Larry Bowa
Al Bumbry
Rick Burleson
Mike Caldwell
Bert Campaneris