PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know this seller??

danmckee
12-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Can anyone do anything about these junker cards???

http://cgi.ebay.com/1938-GOUDEY-PROOF-BASEBALL-FRANK-McCORMICK-GAI-AUTHENT_W0QQitemZ230410935541QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _Baseball?hash=item35a58fdcf5

Al C.risafulli
12-11-2009, 01:26 PM
I was going to post about this last night, Dan, but thought maybe I was nit-picking.

In the seller's description of the Hartnett that sold last week, he said it was the only one in existence. In this listing, he says "I've only seen one other!"

The one other that he sold last week? Or is he referring to one other McCormick? Is his listing next week going to say "I've only seen two others!"?

I'm sort of surprised that Global would misspell Goudey, as well.

I know that there's been a lot of talk about tampering with holders and flips, but somehow Global has managed to escape those discussions. I know that this is one of Global's newer flips, which is supposedly tamper-proof. But to misspell Goudey? How could a reputable firm in the card industry misspell the name of one of the major card manufacturers, over and over again on each of these cards that have surfaced? Could it be that these are tampered holders, and the cards were never actually authenticated?

I'd love to hear from somebody who could explain how/why these cards got in holders, and what makes them "authentic." Absent of that, I cannot possibly imagine how these cards got into holders - either there's horrible authentication at work, tampering of holders, or we '38 Goudey guys are missing an incredible piece of knowledge that really should be shared with the hobby by whoever discovered these "cards."

-Al

Peter_Spaeth
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Too bad they don't have a cert. check. Oh wait, that wouldn't be a good idea. :D:D

ctownboy
12-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Hello,

Not having owned any 1935 Goudeys, my question is this; knowing what the back of the card looks like, can you tell who the players on the front of the card are?

If so, could people be buying these cards HOPING they can soak the magazine cut-outs off the front and have a decent looking card underneath?

Why I ask is because when these cards were sold before the backs were not shown. Now that this seller is showing the backs, a potential buyer might have a better idea what they could possibly be getting.

David

Al C.risafulli
12-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Yes, Peter, this is one of those situations that a cert check was made for.

Plus, it would be awesome to see how many of the 300 surrounding cert numbers were rejected for trimming. My guess: none.

-Al

danmckee
12-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Ruth can't be on the front of all of these, plus I doubt the scammer that glued the cut outs to these and submitted them would use star cards to cover up.

What amazes me is the seller with an outstanding rating, ignoring my emails and selling this garbage.

simply mindboggling

Peter_Spaeth
12-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Yes, Peter, this is one of those situations that a cert check was made for.

Plus, it would be awesome to see how many of the 300 surrounding cert numbers were rejected for trimming. My guess: none.

-Al

Has Global EVER rejected a card for trimming? :D

Al C.risafulli
12-11-2009, 02:59 PM

Irwin Fletcher
12-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm confused - why are the backs of the cards from the 1935 Goudey set?

I may be wrong, but I think puzzle piece #4F is the Pepper Martin card. No HOFers on that card.

Tom S.
12-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Hello,

Not having owned any 1935 Goudeys, my question is this; knowing what the back of the card looks like, can you tell who the players on the front of the card are?

If so, could people be buying these cards HOPING they can soak the magazine cut-outs off the front and have a decent looking card underneath?

Why I ask is because when these cards were sold before the backs were not shown. Now that this seller is showing the backs, a potential buyer might have a better idea what they could possibly be getting.

David

This may be what you are looking for...

http://www.oldbaseball.com/cardsets/goudey35.html

Hope this helps!

ctownboy
12-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks Tom S. that is helpful.

I looked in my big SCD catalog and all it has listed are the four players picured on the front of the cards and says the backs are puzzle pieces.

Thanks again,

David

mickey7mantle7
12-13-2009, 03:51 AM
I went to the GAI website to see if the # on the back was even in the data base and it wouldn't pick it up...? Weird.

danmckee
12-14-2009, 08:09 PM
This scumbag seller has blocked me from bidding, no response to my emails, just blocked me. I hope this idiot gets what he has coming!

Peter_Spaeth
12-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Why were you bidding? :confused:

danmckee
12-14-2009, 08:42 PM
for $10, I would bust one open and show both pieces of this garbage. Plus I bust slabs better than anyone I know, I have the most practice!!!

Next ?

Edwolf1963
12-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Can't you click the "Report An Item" link and note its fake/fraudulent..? I think there's a place to notify eBay of why, etc.

danmckee
12-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Ebay won't act cause it is graded by 1 of their so called respectable companies which is another joke. I couldn't get a color fro joy that was graded by PSA taken down, then again maybe Crandal would have bought it thinking it was real since it was graded.

Peter_Spaeth
12-14-2009, 09:33 PM
I doubt ebay has any in house expertise and for an item with a $9.99 opening bid that is going nowhere it probably just isn't worth whatever investigation they would have to undertake to determine the item was fake.

rhettyeakley
12-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Dan you stated..."I bust slabs better than anyone I know, I have the most practice!!!"

I could give you a real run for your money!!!--SGC is the easiest. I just clocked myself from entombed to "free" at 7.62 seconds (and I am not joking!)

-Rhett