PDA

View Full Version : neolithic period of our hobby on the internet....

chaddurbin
12-11-2009, 11:50 AM
take into account al gore has only discovered the internet a few years back...afaik the old fullcount board was the first forum dedicated to vintage baseball card talk on the internet, started by Mr. Wonderful himself John Spencer (because jeff has ruined "great guy") in support of his retail website:

greetings from asbury park (http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://fullcountbcc.com)***

check out the cache dates from '99-'01 and go under vintage card talk. i've only browsed one page but you'll see some familiar names, some old regular posters, and some usual rants (tbob complaining about rising prices in '00 :D). sadly toward the end of '01 john/mike williams had to shut down the forum, but luckily for noobs like me back then Elliot went and created the n54 board...

***asbury park is a short driving distance to shrewsbury, nj where john spencer operated his hobby/business. so i thought it'd be witty to insert that title for his fullcountbcc link (OMG worst.connection.ever.!)

Wite3
12-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Quan and others...for a long time now, I have been thinking of writing an article on the emergence of the baseball card on the internet. I can say definitively that Full Count was not the first dedicated online bulletin board for baseball cards...I can say for certain that Prodigy online had a dedicated section to baseball cards as early as 1990. One of these days, I (or someone with better writing skills) will have to write an article on the history of baseball card discussions and groups on the internet.

Joshua

Vintagecatcher
12-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Quan,

Thanks for the flashback.

I found where I worked my first trade. In December of 2000, I traded Doug Allen a two-color, Gabby Street T206 printer's scrap for my D322 George Gibson. I was house sitting for a friend, who had a computer, and I found the forum. I worked the deal before I had a computer or an email account.

Patrick

ullmandds
12-11-2009, 09:27 PM
An article like that would be very cool! I remember the prodigy site. I bought a t206 w/lenox and a t206 o'hara st louis variation back from a gentleman on the prodigy site...I paid $170 and $150 for them. The gentleman sent me a d322 card as a bonus. I later sold the O'hara at the nat'l for $350 and was quite happy! I also met a gentleman from the prodigy site who had a friend who inherited a box of old cards and I met him at a McDonalds off the garden state parkway. His friend had a tobacco box with 2 complete e94 sets minus 1 McGraw...20-30 other caramel cards...mostly e90-1's and hundreds of non sport including a t215 chinese character card I remember. I wish I had made him an offer...but I was more a collector looking to help him out.

ScottFandango
12-12-2009, 05:43 AM
An article like that would be very cool! I remember the prodigy site. I bought a t206 w/lenox and a t206 o'hara st louis variation back from a gentleman on the prodigy site...I paid $170 and $150 for them. The gentleman sent me a d322 card as a bonus. I later sold the O'hara at the nat'l for $350 and was quite happy! I also met a gentleman from the prodigy site who had a friend who inherited a box of old cards and I met him at a McDonalds off the garden state parkway. His friend had a tobacco box with 2 complete e94 sets minus 1 McGraw...20-30 other caramel cards...mostly e90-1's and hundreds of non sport including a t215 chinese character card I remember. I wish I had made him an offer...but I was more a collector looking to help him out.

glad you didnt go "Al Rosen" on the poor guy!

Rich Klein
12-12-2009, 06:39 AM
The demise of the Full Count board led to the Net 54 creation. By the last year, there were so many fights and arguments that no one really liked reading that board any more.

The growth of Net 54 with dedicated monitors was a major step in helping the pre-war section of the hobby crystalize and probably played a big role in helping fuel that growth.

So, to everyone who has been around since 2001 or just come aboard in the past week; TY for making this board must-see reading with tons less drama than the old Full Count board

Rich

mickey7mantle7
12-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Yep...this is a good place to be.

Sixtofan
12-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Having missed that period of collecting, it is interesting to browse some of those old threads. Some very similar debates it appears