PDA

View Full Version : 1962 Post experts - Is this another variation?

frankhardy
12-08-2009, 06:07 PM
I have run across a decent sized collection of Post cards. I have run across a short print that I have two of, but they are different. It is a 1962 Post #125 Jim Brosnan. There are not that many to compare to. There has been one completed auction and one current auction on Ebay. Both that I have seen are just like the bottom card in the picture below. Both have a dark blue background with a light blue name.

The card that I am questioning is the one at the top of this picture. It has a light blue background and a dark blue name. There is a distinct difference in the two. I was wondering if our detectives on this board could come up with some answers. Maybe you already know. I just know that there is not a variation in the SCD catalog.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/shanehardy/PSA%20Messageboards%2002/1962PostBrosnanVariation.jpg

Rich Klein
12-08-2009, 06:36 PM
(PSA board) and here; my instinct for what it's worth (about 3 cents) tells me that these are just printed at different times. One of the cards appear to be much sharper printed than the other one. Is that worth a variation line, I don't know.

Somewhere buried in my archives are two different Post Cereal pamphlets with real detailed access on these cards. If I ever find them, I'll post the information if any

Rich

frankhardy
12-08-2009, 07:10 PM
That was me that posted it over at PSA. Was that your reply?

As far as being a sharper print, my take is that every other detail (color shade and sharpness) is the same. It's like the blues are opposites. In one the background is dark while the name is light, and the other is the opposite. Am I way off here?

Chris Counts
12-08-2009, 08:31 PM
It's interesting that the photos are centered differently in each card. Notice the position of the black stripe on his jersey in comparison to the red line on the right border ...

hcv123
12-08-2009, 10:37 PM
While far from an expert on the topic, There are definitely known "tint" variations within the post set. This looks to be exactly what you have. That said, I don't know enough about them to offer a thought on any difference in value if any or which is the tougher one. Be well.

-Howard

fkw
12-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Dont know anything about Post cards, but I saw right away the 2 cards are cropped slighly different, or the print is way off. Look on the right side where the black strip hits the red design (bottom right corner of the image area).

edited to say... i wasnt the first to see this I see :)

ChiefBenderForever
12-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Not sure if they are cropped differently, I think someone cut into the red strip and that part of the card is missing, if cut the same would be there.

steve B
12-10-2009, 08:21 AM
They are cropped differently. The right edge is a bit hard to tell because of the trim, and the red could be off center. But on the lower left corner of the picture there's a tiny dark line that's probably a uniform crease. On one it's right at the edge of the picture, and on the other it's farther to the right of the edge of the picture. There's a couple other differences, but they could be from the different colors being out of register.

Steve

hoot-owl
12-10-2009, 09:05 AM
There are numerous color variations throughout the 1962 Post set. Different press runs for different cereals--with potentially different combinations of players on each box.

I don't believe there is any type of premium for the color variations--other than the blue line variations. Many players have the bright blue sky/gray sky tint variation.