PDA

View Full Version : Grandson to Yanks... Tigers/Arizona/Yanks 3-way Thoughts?

canjond
12-08-2009, 12:50 PM
So - what are your thoughts on this "potential" deal [As of right now, it's on the verge but not official]. I think the Tigers get some good prospects, but not sure about the Yanks giving up Austin for Granderson. Not too disappointed to se Kennedy go to Arizona...

barrysloate
12-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Granderson gives the Yanks immediate help, and he is only 28. Prospects are unpredictable; often they never pan out. I like the idea of the Yankees getting younger, and with a really fine talent. Matsui no longer plays the outfield, Damon's skills are waning, and Cabrera is inconsistent. I like the deal.

Robextend
12-10-2009, 08:04 AM
I like the deal, especially if you can now sign Damon to a 2yr deal for him to play LF/DH and have Cabrera be your 4th OF and come in to LF for defense late in games.

I think the Jeter/Damon 1-2 punch really propelled them last year, and I hope that doesn't change. Granderson batting 7th or so should really help the Yanks as well as himself. Jackson might be good, but it doesn't seem like he is going to hit for any power. Kennedy and Coke are absolutely expendable.

Overall I think it is a low risk high reward deal for the Yanks.

abrahamrudy
12-11-2009, 12:02 AM
The deal could pay off if Granderson learns to hit Left-handed pitching. If he doesn't, Yankee fans will get sick of him in a week. I just hope they don't let Brett Gardner go. That guy has more heart than the rest of the Major Leagues combined.

ON the other hand, you can't really mourn the loss of a player who you never saw play. And it's not like solid-but-not-great middle relievers in the mold of Phil Coke are incredibly valuable. Besides, Coke became expendable when Marte decided during the World Series that he knows how to throw strikes after all. Kennedy, for all his potential, would never have made it in New York, although it wouldn't surprise me if, pitching to the NL, he flat-out dominates.

GrayGhost
12-11-2009, 07:51 AM
I'll comment on Granderson and the other stuff all in one place, if thats ok.

I like the deal overall, from a Yankees fans perspective. He does K a lot, and needs to improve vs Lefties. But, added power, in his prime, etc. makes him a big plus. Coke wasnt a given, Jackson, hey, you take a gamble giving up prospects, its part of the game.

Id like to see Damon resigned, Him and Melky can play left field. Damon and Posada do the bulk of DHing and on days when Damon was in left, Posada DHing, they could put Melky in right, to give Swisher the days off. A lot of versatility there if it works out. Matsui is gone I think.

I like Jason Marquis as a 4th starter too, tho I wouldnt be shocked on Haliday. I dont think they will get Lackey.

Pettitte was a must and excellent move.

End of Bullpen next year, I can see it being Aceves. Robertson, Marte, Joba (I hope) and Mo. I'll take my chances with that setup.

canjond
12-11-2009, 10:24 AM
I'll comment on Granderson and the other stuff all in one place, if thats ok.

I like the deal overall, from a Yankees fans perspective. He does K a lot, and needs to improve vs Lefties. But, added power, in his prime, etc. makes him a big plus. Coke wasnt a given, Jackson, hey, you take a gamble giving up prospects, its part of the game.

Id like to see Damon resigned, Him and Melky can play left field. Damon and Posada do the bulk of DHing and on days when Damon was in left, Posada DHing, they could put Melky in right, to give Swisher the days off. A lot of versatility there if it works out. Matsui is gone I think.

I like Jason Marquis as a 4th starter too, tho I wouldnt be shocked on Haliday. I dont think they will get Lackey.

Pettitte was a must and excellent move.

End of Bullpen next year, I can see it being Aceves. Robertson, Marte, Joba (I hope) and Mo. I'll take my chances with that setup.

Scott,

Don't forget Hughes in that bullpen mix.

- Jon

canjond
12-11-2009, 10:25 AM
And further - we still don't know what is to become of Wang. A return to the rotation?

Kalineman
12-11-2009, 01:16 PM
In my view, all 3 teams win - just some (Yankees) quicker than others (Tigers).

Robextend
12-11-2009, 01:40 PM
I would hope that the Yankees would take another look at Hughes in the rotation. I do think Joba is best suited for the pen, however Hughes still looks like he has the make-up to be a successful SP.

abrahamrudy
12-14-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't think the Yankees will make a serious bid for Holliday. Look at his numbers. The guy hits .320 in the National League and then transitions to the American League and FLOPS. His average in half a year in the superior league was a full .40 points below his career average. And, not surprisingly, when he headed back to the NL and hit next to a guy like Pujols, his average jumped right back up. I don't see how that makes him attractive to an American League team, especially given his history in the field under pressure, and given the ask price a la Scott Boras.

Regarding Hughes, I think Cashman believes (and will always believe) that a pitcher is more valuable as a starter than as a reliever and will continue to try to get Hughes and Joba ironed out as starters. Furthermore, I watched every one of Hughes' appearances last year, and he was VERY much hittable towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. His strikeouts were way down towards the end of the year, and people were hitting the ball hard more and more often, because, as it turns out, you're not going to get by in the Major Leagues with just a plus fastball. You need off-speed stuff. And Hughes has off-speed stuff, and he has a starter's makeup. So there's no reason to use him as a set-up man when the team needs a starter.

David Robertson, on the other hand, is ideally suited to be a reliever. The guy has late life on his fastball that makes it seem like it's moving 5-7 mph faster. He has good location too. He has excellent potential and I think Eiland knows that (he spent a lot of time working with him one-on-one while Robertson was rehabbing from his injury at the end of the year. Expect to see more of him in 2010

abrahamrudy
12-14-2009, 02:13 PM
It looks now like Halladay is going to Philadelphia and Lackey is going to Boston, according to ESPN insider. Looks like the Yankees aren't interested in acquiring 31+ year old pitchers. A surprising change of heart...