PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Topps MAGIC

GoldenAge50s
12-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Sent a few of my '51 MAGIC set in to SGC to test the grading waters--Thought some would enjoy seeing the results. I have had these cards since original purchase, but Boy, was quality control BAD back then! Many of my set are in NRMT condition, but are cut too badly OC to send in!

clamendo
12-07-2009, 08:10 PM
I have had alot of discussions with SGC on this. How can you call a card NM if the back is scratched/rubbed off? This was part of the reason
I went with PSA on that issue, plus the guy I was trading with wanted only PSA. I actually talked to Joe Orlando and now they designate the cards
as "unrubbed" - unscratched implies something bad. PSA would not grade a card higher than a 6 with the back rubbed off, so it made sense to designate such
on the front. Their are many other issues 1981 Topps hockey comes to mind - I wonder if you sent in a perfect Gretzky with the hockey puck rubbed off
if they would grade it NM/M. I don't think there is a standard in the hobby about these type of issues - but maybe we can get the grading companies to
handle it similarily. Kinda like the dotted lines around 1962 Post and 1959 Bazooka...the current standard has evolved to where it should be

GoldenAge50s
12-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi Carl--

When I submitted I never even thought about the backs because all of mine are cleanly "rubbed off" w/out any scratching on the photo---but I understand what you mean!

Most of the ones I've ever looked at, on Ebay or at shows, are pretty rough on the scratch area!

drdduet
12-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Nice looking cards Fred.

GoldenAge50s
12-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Thank you, Dr! I wish the rest of my set were centered as well as these!