PDA

View Full Version : D303, D304, D322, and D359 set/group survey

caramelcard
12-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Continuing a bit more bread card research.

Do any of you collectors have complete sets or know of any complete sets of these four issues?

Or, are any of you working on one or more and have a partial group or have in the past?

If you know of someone else who has a complete set, I don't need a name. I know some don't really want to share this info and that's fine. Just trying to get a roundabout feel for how many larger groups or sets are out there.

If you are working on one and feel like sharing more. Which cards do you need? Do you collect different backs?

Thanks for any input!

Rob

E93
12-05-2009, 10:20 PM
There was a dealer with a complete D304 set at the National.
JimB

terjung
12-05-2009, 10:47 PM
There is a full set of D304 listed on eBay right now. I think that is the same dealer that Jim was referring to.

caramelcard
12-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Yeah, Tony is selling that set. Thanks for reminding me of that one. Nice cards.

Epps
12-06-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm pretty sure that Leon is working on the D303 set.

caramelcard
12-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks to a couple folks that have emailed me too.

Unlikely, but has anyone seen any advertising for D303 General Baking, Tip Top that is linked to D322, or D359?

Rob

uffda51
12-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi, Robert. I've got complete sets of both D304 & D322. I had 13 D359s but finally gave on acquiring the set. I own one D303. The D304 & D322 sets can be viewed here:

http://imageevent.com/uffda51

Kawika
12-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Robert: As you are probably aware I have a player set of D304s plus two of the traded cards. I gave up on finding the rest. Have just two D322s and none of the others.

Everybody: Stop what you're doing and have a look at Bruce's collection. Minds were made to be blown.

calvindog
12-06-2009, 06:12 PM
David, I agree re Bruce's collection. Truly incredible.

fkw
12-06-2009, 08:24 PM
D303 Mothers cards, thats a whole different breed than the normal D303's. I dont think anyone knows how many in a set of them. They are much much tougher than the related Tango Eggs cards. I had some that were uncataloged about 10 years ago, and Im sure there are some that are not checklisted yet now....... Dan. :)

Frank

Leon
12-06-2009, 10:48 PM
I have a few of each of the D303 types....slowly working on the set....the cobbys and wagners are fairly expensive.....Don't know if I will continue but am still trudging forward...I know someone that is around 8-10 away from a D303 General Baking set...but he doesn't differentiate backs....

caramelcard
12-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Incredible Leon. Keep on a trudgin'.

Are you aware of any D303s (either back) that haven't been confirmed?

I assume there a quite a few Mothers that haven't. Have all the GB cards been confirmed to your knowledge?

Thanks.

Rob

Leon
12-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Incredible Leon. Keep on a trudgin'.

Are you aware of any D303s (either back) that haven't been confirmed?

I assume there a quite a few Mothers that haven't. Have all the GB cards been confirmed to your knowledge?

Thanks.

Rob

I don't know the answer to your question but my guess is all of the D303 Generals have been confirmed. As Frank said, and I am sure you know, the Mothers are much more scarce than the Generals, probably 5x -10x as scarce, from what I have seen. There are a few individual Mothers cards (Louden for one) that have been on the market several times and can make them seem less scarce, but they aren't. I would guess that not all of the Mothers have been confirmed but I don't know anyone else doing the set so it's hard to say. As for advertising from them, I will dig around but don't think I have any. There have been some later (30's-50's) General Baking ancillary items available, but I have never gone after them as they weren't close to being period......Best regards

caramelcard
12-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Ok it's time for more theories on these uncommon bread cards.

The following quote talks about the history of the General Host Corporation which was the General Baking Co for many years.

"The history of General Host may be traced to 1911, when the General Baking Co. was incorporated in New York as an amalgamation of 19 former baking businesses covering many major cities between New Orleans and Boston."

This quote reveals quite a bit if you think about it. The D304 backs tell us some of those bakeries (Weber, Fleischmann, Martens) that General Baking owned around the region. I believe those backs are very scarce because they were only issued out of those three bakeries. The General Baking and Brunners backs which don't mention specific bakeries were more of the flagship premiums with the GB backed cards probably inserted into bread around the region at several different bakeries. Brunners at least at different bakeries around Buffalo instead of just one.

On to D303. We know (from the backs again) that Mothers backs were from New Orleans and were probably only issued in that immediate area. Now I know that NO issues are tough anyways, but these are REALLY tough even compared to GB backed D303s. It might be safe to say again that GB backed D303s (because they don't mention any specific bakeries) were inserted into the three different breads at many of the 19 bakeries "between Boston and New Orleans."

Any thoughts?

Rob

Quote taken from: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/General-Host-Corporation-Company-History.html

caramelcard
12-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Forgot, i have this ancillary piece. It's the little general himself. From 1911 too!

http://photos.imageevent.com/caramelcard/miscellaneous/websize/100_18672.JPG