PDA

View Full Version : Circa 1936 Baseball Magazine Co. Ad

Leon
12-04-2009, 06:26 PM
We have seen the Baseball Magazine Company pictures for sale a million times. Here is an ad to buy them a bit cheaper, though it's about 73 yrs old. best regards

http://luckeycards.com/po1936baseballmagazinead.jpg

teetwoohsix
12-04-2009, 06:49 PM
The special 25 posters for $2.00..........how sweet would that be.It reminds me of the back of the CJ's...........if we could only get those deals now:D:D

FrankWakefield
12-04-2009, 09:54 PM
There was a collector about 35 or 40 years ago who was pretty smart on M113s and M114s. My understanding is that he'd crunched through most of these ads, and decided that some years they'd advertise a premium that was not available. He thought that most of the time what was in the ad was available, but not always.

And other collectors of the day believed him.

teetwoohsix
12-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Frank.......I'm not trying to be funny,but you lost me:DI keep reading your post,trying to decipher..................:confused:

FrankWakefield
12-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Golly, Clayton. Read it one more time, without deciphering...

That 1936 ad lists a bunch of premiums for sale. This old collector became convinced that some of these ads listed players who weren't available, there was no premium that BM had that they could send, they'd not made it. Maybe BM planned to offer a premium, but with low demand they decided to not make one. They'd substitute another player and slip in a note about 'temporarily out of stock' or somesuch.

The point is.... today, looking back, if you were to get ALL of the BM ads ( a project I commenced several years ago and then abandoned after I learned this) and you made note of the additions to the 'posters' BM was offering, you'd be mistaken to think that just because it was advertised and offered, therefor it exists.

Some of the 'posters' or premiums listed for sale were never made.

I think most folks who collect these are aware that you could order who you wanted. So more Ruth's and Mathewsons were printed than Nap Rucker or Reb Russell. Not generally the case with regular baseball cards.

teetwoohsix
12-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I understand now-sort of like the Goudey Nap Lajoie........:D

FrankWakefield
12-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Almost. The Goudey Lajoie appears in 1934, numbered to fit into the 1933 set. (In Goudey's contemporary Indian Gum set, they'd skip numbers in an effort to encourage sales, with kids buying packs in hope of a card that didn't exist.)

With BM, it isn't that some of those were available a year or two later; but rather that for some they just never were made. Nonexistent.