PDA

View Full Version : Problem - Faded autographs

John V
12-03-2009, 06:46 AM
I borrowed ErikV's photo from the "everything Dodgers" thread to illustrate the following:
Obviously, certain ink colors or ink types behave differently over time. Other than Sharpie, has anyone pinpointed what survives best over the years?

mr2686
12-03-2009, 01:24 PM
I've had good luck with Bic medium point pens (on balls). There is definately a problem with some inks fading more than others, although most of the ones that I've seen were already light right after they were signed and then faded even worse. On the other side, I've seen some inks that will turn more of an aqua color while still being fairly dark. The latter discription isn't even an environment or light issue since I've had a couple balls do that even when they were kept air and light tight for 20 years.

drc
12-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Blue ballpoint pens aren't perfect, but decent. I think black ballpoint is more likely to fade on balls. I'd be wary of felt tip pens on baseballs. Old fountain pen on vintage letters, contracts and such often last very well-- though letters and contracts usually weren't displayed in light.

RichardSimon
12-04-2009, 06:31 AM
I have been asked similar questions many times.
I always tell people the same thing, keep the ball out of sunlight and away from flourescent light and in a cool dry place. Though if you looked at my single signed baseballs of Terry and Hubbell you can see that that rule does not necessarily always work.
I don't think anyone has ever quite figured out what is the best ink to use on a ball, though I do think Bic medium point is probably the best pen to use now. Remember, you are placing a chemical on an animal hide,,, anything can happen, unfortunately.

william_9
12-04-2009, 11:38 AM
It really depends on the leather, some are prone to bleed while others aren't. I've found that a ball with a thick hide and a really tight, smooth grain is best for ball point. Nothing that've found is 100% stable. Staedtler fine tip markers seem to be the best available today. They completely dry before the signature is finished and they don't fade. Problem is that most people have heard horrible things about sharpies on baseballs and won't use them. As a result, if you are collecting for today, but may sell down the line, they don't seem to hold value as much as a ball point. With autograph prices the way they are, it's a valid concern.