PDA

View Full Version : storage ideas

rhaynes74
12-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Hi folks, I am curious how people here store their cards - any innovative ideas? I am probably pretty typical.

Star singles in top loaders and "shoeboxes". Sets I like look at in 3 ring binders and 9 pocket pages. I also have a lot of hockey singles from the 50-80s (probably 50-75K) that I store in a couple of old library card catalogue cabinets. The cabinets are getting hard to find but make perfect storage.

Best,
R Haynes

Leon
12-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Nothing fancy here. I use a few three ring binders but mainly top loaders, with penny sleeves in them, with not too tight rubber bands around them.....For my not too valuable cards I have them in a small firesafe x2, inside a 1200 lb jewelers safe in my house. It is in a monitored alarmed room. For my valuable stuff I use a safe deposit box with the same methodology, sans my own safes.....nothing too fancy. Oh yeah, I have a few on display in my home-office, on some built in bookshelves. I have a feeling I am fairly typical.....(well, at least for storage of cards).....best regards

Jason Carota
12-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Red Sox type cards:

All raw cards are in a penny sleeve/top loader/team bag combo. Graded cards are in a graded card bag.

N172 cards:

Three ring binder with tobacco pages.

The cards are stored in three and four drawer storage cubes such as this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41H8SPPCT5L._SS500_.jpg

"Regular size" Sox cards are in the four drawer cube, while oversize cards (T3, M101-2, etc.) are in the top of the three drawer cube. The middle drawer contains the N172 binder, while the bottom holds a binder for my modern collection (Adam LaRoche player collection.)

I have another three drawer cube that contains storage and mailing supplies.

rhaynes74
12-03-2009, 04:21 PM
does the three drawers in the cabinet have partitions ? Either across or back to front? Moveable partitions would probably be best - I really like the card
catalogue cabinet but it is limited in the width of the item to be stored. See pic (not my basement!!!)

Jim VB
12-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I use the Raiders of the Lost Ark system.

Jim VB
12-03-2009, 04:41 PM
In all seriousness, I've purchased some from these guys:

http://www.aboxfactory.com/

I didn't try the chipboard ones, but the wood ones are pretty sturdy. Biggest drawback is shipping, but I got an email yesterday that they are running a flat rate shipping special of $10 shipping, from now through 12/24.

JasonL
12-03-2009, 04:53 PM
that your methods are typical!
Just curious, -how do you get a 1200lb jewelers safe into your house?

Me?
Well, I don't have any room to store anything, so I have to throw it away a few hours after I open the mail.

Kawika
12-03-2009, 05:02 PM
I use the Raiders of the Lost Ark system.
I believe that is Jim Crandall's basement.

GoldenAge50s
12-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Jim---

Is that just your '88 Donruss?

Jim VB
12-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Jim---

Is that just your '88 Donruss?

'87 Topps. The pile on the right is Canseco rookies!

GoldenAge50s
12-03-2009, 06:28 PM
I've got ALMOST that many Andy Benes RC's! LOL!

PolarBear
12-03-2009, 07:08 PM
If you like albums, Glen's cigarette card albums are about 100 times better than ultrapro pages and 3-ring binders.

I wish SGC made a nice cardboard box like PSA'a black boxes.

D. Broughman
12-03-2009, 07:38 PM
The first one swivels with 3 sides that was a watch display case. I have 16 t206 Southern League cards per side all 3 sides lock. The second is a whiskey display case with 4 sections that has 3 locks. I have Memorabilia in it. I have 2 other swivel cases but they don't lock that I put secondary cards and pins in. My wife found 3 of these in a resale shop and our son got the Memorabilia one from a party store near him that was going to throw it way. I have boxes on racks in the basement for more common cards. D.

Jason Carota
12-03-2009, 08:04 PM
does the three drawers in the cabinet have partitions ? Either across or back to front?

They do make partitions for the three drawer cube. They are made to form a 16 cube grid to store ribbon for scrap-booking (that is how I discovered the cubes - my wife is as addicted to it as I am cards.) You can break the partitions apart, however.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_msy6FA80tjg/RZMBNMGhQVI/AAAAAAAAACY/bUFKgBNMSf8/s400/IMG_2749.JPG