PDA

View Full Version : Auction Houses for the not so big spender...

Robextend
12-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations on an Auction House where you can spend only a couple hundred bucks at most and pick up a great deal? I know there are many to choose from. My interests are mostly picking up cards (raw or graded) to add to sets I am trying to put a dent into, some pre-war, and some post. Does anyone have any solid opinions?

Much appreciated as always - Rob

barrysloate
12-02-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure any auction house wants to see in writing that if you bid with them, you will pick up a great deal.

Robextend
12-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Excellent point...should I rephrase to "dreadful deal"?

barrysloate
12-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Any auction house has the potential to sell a lot for top dollar, or on occasion leave a little money on the table. Best thing is to do your homework with every auction house and hope you can find a reasonable deal. It can happen anywhere, but it's getting tougher to do.

Leon
12-02-2009, 02:50 PM
No auction house wants to see that a buyer got a GREAT deal as that sort of means they didn't get a good price for their consignor. That being said there are some higher end premium auctions that have very few lots under $1000. I participate in probably 20 different auctions a year and most will have a great deal or two, if you know what you are looking for. Then there are the smaller auction venues, like ours and a few others, that have many lots starting out at $50 - $100. Those auctions might be your best bet for the budget you mentioned. Remember, knowledge is key....

Bosox Blair
12-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Then there are the smaller auction venues, like ours and a few others, that have many lots starting out at $50 - $100. Those auctions might be your best bet for the budget you mentioned.

I heartily recommend Leon's auctions (B&L) for having lots in an accessible price bracket. Great auctions for collectors.

Steve Verkman (Clean Sweep Auctions) often has many lots in that collector's price range too.

Cheers,
Blair

mintacular
12-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Auctionzip.com occasionally has sports memorablia/card auction that you may occasionally catch a deal on (so I've been told :))