PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quote on our... hobby

Leon
11-30-2009, 10:35 PM
"Collectors often decried how money had ruined their hobby, making it hard for them to form meaningful friendships through their cards. Money, however, made the hobby not only profitable but also more serious, more instrumental, and therefore more manly. The same collectors who complained about greed often bragged in the same interview about the value of their cards. Yet money, in turn, made the hobby less akin to child's play and more like work: lonely, competitive, unfulfilling, and alienating." - Author John Bloom in A House of Cards (1997)"

Fred
11-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Interesting quote. I remember when it was just a hobby. Sure, the cards had value but the people involved really loved the cardboard for what it was, not what it was worth. I'm not saying that everybody thinks with $$$ signs but collecting photos/lithos of dead guys isn't the same as it was 25+ years ago. "When it was a hobby" it was pretty fun, not so cut throat and certainly not near as expensive (relative to what a dollar is worth now). It did remove some of that "nerd" status from collectors. Some of those guys now look like geniuses.

Ah crap, I still love these little pieces of cardboard.

Potomac Yank
11-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Those that collect, and those that have a stock portfolio with a price in mind.

teetwoohsix
11-30-2009, 11:12 PM
I agree Joe,but I may be a little of both.I love collecting pre-war cards,T206 being my main focus-and I love looking at everyone's CJ's,Caramels,Zeenuts,etc.,,,,,but I also think that 25-30 years down the road I may sell off my collection to add to my retirement.At that point I'm sure I would start building another collection,for I do love collecting these cards.I can stare at them for hours(just ask my wife:D).I guess my point is that I also enjoy the fact that they happen to be valuable,as well as very exciting to collect.

ChiefBenderForever
12-01-2009, 12:36 AM
As crazy as the hobby can be and where it has gone, I think we all get a calming sense of peace while working on an impossible puzzle. Just like anything, greed and corruption are around every corner but at the heart of it are a lot of good people. Right on to the real, death to the fakers !

sbfinley
12-01-2009, 04:04 AM
"Yet money, in turn, made the hobby less akin to child's play and more like work: lonely, competitive, unfulfilling, and alienating."

Then why the heck am I here 30 times a day?

FrankWakefield
12-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Yes, Joe...

We can be dicotimized into those of us who wish their cards were worth more, and those who wish the cards were worth less so we could collect more.

Leon, is this the book that explains about how Upper Deck owners sneaked into their plant and printed extra cards to privately sell? That is one eyeopening book, especially for collectors of modern cards.

Rich Klein
12-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Is Card Sharks; written by Pete Williams

Leon
12-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Yes, Joe...

We can be dicotimized into those of us who wish their cards were worth more, and those who wish the cards were worth less so we could collect more.

Leon, is this the book that explains about how Upper Deck owners sneaked into their plant and printed extra cards to privately sell? That is one eyeopening book, especially for collectors of modern cards.

First of all I have not read the book I quoted. I don't read much but do like looking at the pictures. :) Also, I don't necessarily agree with the quote I stated. I found it on the internet and thought it was thought provoking so annied it up. I love the hobby more than most and would love it without the money aspect. But, obviously the money aspect of it makes it more intriguing, at least to me. Don't get me wrong too, I am a capitalist and do believe in capitalism (but that is for some off topic forum we never created). As the poster above mentioned I think we can be both collector and capitalist in the hobby. If I had to choose I would still take the hobby, and all it has going for it, over the money. best regards

T206Collector
12-01-2009, 07:34 AM
"money, in turn, made the hobby less akin to child's play and more like work: lonely, competitive, unfulfilling, and alienating"

The author defines "work" as "lonely, competitive, unfulfilling, and alienating." He should have changed jobs. Not to turn this into Sociology 101, but this is a very Marxist comment, i.e., capitalism's alienating effect on people. That is, of course, the great debate that should not be taking place on this forum on a macroeconomic level.

Given this forum's very existence, the value of baseball cards has done anything but alienate collectors.

vintagewhitesox
12-01-2009, 07:45 AM
First of all I have not read the book I quoted. I don't read much but do like looking at the pictures. :) Also, I don't necessarily agree with the quote I stated. I found it on the internet and thought it was thought provoking so annied it up. I love the hobby more than most and would love it without the money aspect. But, obviously the money aspect of it makes it more intriguing, at least to me. Don't get me wrong too, I am a capitalist and do believe in capitalism (but that is for some off topic forum we never created). As the poster above mentioned I think we can be both collector and capitalist in the hobby. If I had to choose I would still take the hobby, and all it has going for it, over the money. best regards

Leon, I agree. Why can't we both love to collect cards, but also love that they appreciate in value? I don't see anything wrong with that.

Rich Klein
12-01-2009, 08:42 AM
The book Leon found the quote on actually focused on a bunch of collectors from Minnesota. I have that book somewhat buried here and from what I recall it's not that well written nor does the book really break new ground.

Regards
Rich

Exhibitman
12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
"money, in turn, made the hobby less akin to child's play and more like work: lonely, competitive, unfulfilling, and alienating"

The author defines "work" as "lonely, competitive, unfulfilling, and alienating." He should have changed jobs. Not to turn this into Sociology 101, but this is a very Marxist comment, i.e., capitalism's alienating effect on people. That is, of course, the great debate that should not be taking place on this forum on a macroeconomic level.

Given this forum's very existence, the value of baseball cards has done anything but alienate collectors.

Oh puh-lease, that is not a Marxist comment about capitalism, it is simply a comment from someone who doesn't like his job. No need to label it with a grandiose political commentary--sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

As far as the actual issue of the post goes, I collected when I was part of a community of nerds meeting once a month in a church basement with other nerds to trade cardboard pictures of our idols, I collected as it became big business, and I will collect even if it fades back into the background. It's in my DNA. My collection isn't going anywhere regardless of whether it goes up or down in value, unless someone offers me life-altering money for it, which ain't likely to happen. I just wish I could afford to buy even more cards than I already do, so I vote for a temporary price drop, just until I can finish some sets.

sox1903wschamp
12-01-2009, 11:22 AM
The book Leon found the quote on actually focused on a bunch of collectors from Minnesota. I have that book somewhat buried here and from what I recall it's not that well written nor does the book really break new ground.

Regards
Rich

There are "bunches" of collectors in Minnesota? :)

sportscardtheory
12-01-2009, 11:57 AM
I think people take this topic far too seriously. Just because "you" (no one specific) don't enjoy the hobby anymore, doesn't mean everyone else no longer does. I am 32 and have been collecting since 1989. I mainly sell and I also collect mainly HOF graded RCs. I am having more fun now than I EVER have in the hobby.

Potomac Yank
12-01-2009, 12:04 PM
I have no idea where this guy gets his Marxist/Capitalism ideas from.

The facts are that there are some that collect cards for the enjoyment of filling an empty slot in a set. __ A sublimation that has worked for me till this day.

We also have those that buy/sell, in order to buy cards that they collect at a savings.

Then we have the Investor/flippers, that get the enjoyment that the stock market fails to give ... mainly because they understand baseball more than they understand stocks ... providing that the market is up. :D

Ladies and Gentlemen, the fact is, all of the above is what makes up our cardboard hobby/business, and all of the above is legit and not a crime.
To each his own.

Now what's all this crap about Marxist, and Capitalism?
Some of you sound like Madam LaFarge, from "A tale of two Cities". :)

"Off with his head!"

"Burn the books!"

"Down with freedom of speech!"

"Delete it!"

Republicaninmass
12-01-2009, 12:37 PM
It did remove some of that "nerd" status from collectors. Some of those guys now look like geniuses.

Ever tell a girl you collect cards in the first 5 minutes of a conversation :)

drdduet
12-01-2009, 12:43 PM
For me personally, it's the love of collecting. Sure, I do sell for the right price, but that's because sometimes these little pieces of cardboard become too expensive to justify keeping.

I'd rather hold $100 of disposable income in a vintage piece of cardboard than one paper.

JasonL
12-01-2009, 02:03 PM
There are "bunches" of collectors in Minnesota? :)

Yes, they live in relative seclusion, coming out of their caves only at night to hunt for food and their favorite collectables. Like most creatures of the night, they are oddly interesting in their appearnace, but they are a peaceful people. If you are lucky, you might catch a glimpse of one if you leave out a few cards on your porch overnight!

FrankWakefield
12-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Thank you, Rich. Yes, that's the book. Anyone collecting cards should read that book. Most won't. But they should...

T206Collector
12-02-2009, 06:47 AM
First of all, my comment could hardly be termed "grandiose political commentary," unless you were reading into it some political agenda that uses Marxism as a sort of boogey man.

The simple fact is that the last time I heard about jobs being alienating was in college during Soc. 101, where we studied Karl Marx. I was not intending to suggest that the author of this book was a Marxist -- or that he even knows who Marx is -- but rather that the quoted language reminded me of Marxism. How can a statement that equates work with alienation not be considered Marxist in nature? Just like Gordon Gekko saying "greed is good" is a capitalist comment.

Let me try it another way, Marx, like the author of this book, failed in my opinion to see the communal value in a vibrant marketplace, e.g., our very own B/S/T.