PDA

View Full Version : Ladies Baseball - St. Louis Stars cabinet photo

FourStrikes
11-29-2009, 02:10 AM
can anybody provide any info on The St. Louis Stars Ladies Base Ball Club?

size is 4 1/4" x 6 1/2"

I have seen (and possess) a number of womens baseball postcards, photographs and a few other womens baseball-related items, but have only seen a few cabinet photos / cabinet cards which feature the same.

am curious whether or not other players from the St. Louis Stars were issued in cabinet photo (or any other) format as well.

thanks in advance.

slidekellyslide
11-29-2009, 01:14 PM
The team photo looks like a postcard glued to a cabinet backing. I have that exact postcard. I don't know much about this team at all other than they may have actually been based out of Cincinnati... It's interesting to me that in order to contact the team you had to write to a publication called "The Bill Board" which was a magazine dedicated to entertainment and generally traveling shows like circuses..I have read that the Nebraska Indians advertised in the magazine, but locating copies is difficult...maybe Joann will chime in here as I believe she has the same postcard and perhaps a photo of this team as well?

driver095
08-08-2013, 01:05 PM
I think I have a cabinet photo card. I know where it was found and nothing else. Any information would be appreciated!

keating3620
08-09-2013, 07:34 AM
What's the deal with the swastikas?

packs
08-09-2013, 07:45 AM
They used to be a symbol of peace, life, and good luck. The symbol has been around for literally thousands of years and has been appropriated by most major cultures around the world at some point in their history. It was only until the Nazi's adopted the symbol that it's meaning changed.

drcy
08-09-2013, 06:18 PM
They're found in Ancient Egyptian tombs and Charles Lindbergh had a Pre-Nazi lucky swastika pin when he flew. Some American Indian tribes used them.

Also, unlike the ones in the photo, the Nazi swastikas were diagonal. The angle and direction of the swastika will often tell the difference between a Nazi and non-Nazi swastika. Interestingly, the Nazi swastika was intentionally angled to resemble a Christian cross.

I've seen other early 1900s baseball team photos with swastikas, so it wasn't rare. And dated to before the German Nazi's existed.

Forever Young
08-09-2013, 11:13 PM
They're found in Ancient Egyptian tombs and Charles Lindbergh had a Pre-Nazi lucky swastika pin when he flew. Some American Indian tribes used them.

Also, unlike the ones in the photo, the Nazi swastikas were diagonal. The angle and direction of the swastika will often tell the difference between a Nazi and non-Nazi swastika. Interestingly, the Nazi swastika was intentionally angled to resemble a Christian cross.

I've seen other early 1900s baseball team photos with swastikas, so it wasn't rare. And dated to before the German Nazi's existed.

great post