PDA

View Full Version : 1934 Baseball All Stars in Japan Ruth, Foxx, etc.

FourStrikes
11-29-2009, 01:33 AM
looking for any info on these (I have six different)...Japan-issued(?)...size is about 2 7/8" x 4", and I believe these depict members of the 1934 Baseball All Star Team that toured Japan...

the backs are blank, and two have names written on the back in pencil: Babe Ruth / Clint Brown)

Jimmie Foxx features a facsimile signature on his pants legs

the catcher, I believe, is Moe Berg

all feature Japanese writing along the top, but unfortunately I cannot read Japanese.

any help whatsoever regarding their origin / approximate date of issue, vintage or ???, etc. would be appreciated as I have no cluewhat these are, and there's no doubt that there are plenty of people on this board that seem to have a helluva lot more knowledge than I do!

many thanks.

prestigecollectibles
11-29-2009, 08:20 PM
This set was issued in two series of eight cards (packs A and B) and was sold at the stadiums during the 1934 US Major League All Star Tour of Japan.
Despite the fact that “All US Baseball Team” is printed on the boxes, some Japan team members are also included in the set. Moreover, some of the Americans in the set were not Tour participants. Each card is printed in black & white ink on white stock, and contains a player image, along with the player’s surname in Japanese. The cards are white bordered. Backs are blank.

I can read Japanese however the names on the scans are too small. If you can send a larger scan I can read the names for you. I would be interested in purchasing them if they are for sale. BTW, do you have the two Japanese players from this series as well?

MacDice
12-01-2009, 08:37 AM
So there are 16 cards that were issued in this set? Do you have a checklist? I have always been really interested in this tour and this is the first time that I have heard of cards from it.

prestigecollectibles
12-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Here is a list of the 16 players

Moe Berg
Charley Berry
Clint Brown
Masao Date (pose 1 - end of delivery)
Masao Date (pose 2)
Jimmie Foxx
Lou Gehrig
Lefty Gomez
Jiro Kuji
Nobuo Kura
Connie Mack
Bobo Newsom
Lefty O' Doul
Babe Ruth (pose 1 - larger body)
Babe Ruth (pose 2 - smaller body)
Earl Whitehill

FourStrikes
12-05-2009, 02:51 AM
many thanks, Robert, for identifying these cards - I've had these since the 1980's and have always been curious about their exact origin.

these are the only six cards I have (none of which appear to be the Japanese players included in the checklist you posted).

I also have the B&W postcard which features the American and Japanese players from the 1934 tour, as well as the color postcard which shows Babe Ruth batting during one of the games.

I appreciate the information but am not looking to part with them at this time, but will try to provide a larger scan to help identify the other players.

thanks again - D.S.

This set was issued in two series of eight cards (packs A and B) and was sold at the stadiums during the 1934 US Major League All Star Tour of Japan.
Despite the fact that “All US Baseball Team” is printed on the boxes, some Japan team members are also included in the set. Moreover, some of the Americans in the set were not Tour participants. Each card is printed in black & white ink on white stock, and contains a player image, along with the player’s surname in Japanese. The cards are white bordered. Backs are blank.

I can read Japanese however the names on the scans are too small. If you can send a larger scan I can read the names for you. I would be interested in purchasing them if they are for sale. BTW, do you have the two Japanese players from this series as well?

kylebicking
12-06-2009, 07:40 PM
http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=92065

I found this auction on Mastro's page. SGC 10 Ruth that sold for $1400. It has japanese text on the front... who knows if it was written or printed on there.

Awesome items!

EDITED to add I just found this link too:
http://www.prestigecollectiblesauction.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=2398&getauctionid=69