PDA

View Full Version : neat 1911 Zeenut "box" variations....

shammus
11-28-2009, 01:07 PM
I think a lot of people have seen these already but figured I'd show off a couple of the more obvious 1911 Zeenut variations that are out there. On the left is a normal looking 1911 Zeenut. The next two have a unique "box" variation that I've not seen on any other players in the set. The subtle differences on these two cards are several in number as well -

Seaton - has a lighter background overall and a thicker black border around the edges not seen on any other cards. Both boxes contain a block-style font.

Ryan - Normal background color however the boxed areas contain a unique script-style font seen only on this card.

Anyone have a guess as to why these two cards and only these two contain these sort of variations? Both are Portland players, however the other portland players I've seen resemble the Shaw and don't contain these variations.

Anyway, not sure if anyone's covered this in the past but thought I'd throw it out there for discussion. Thanks guys!
Brian

rhettyeakley
11-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Brian, I have no idea why they made the 2 players with the boxes and not anyone else, but it does make the cards unique. Of the two the Seaton is the most unusual in my opinion. His photo border being that dark line as opposed to the thin double lines normally seen. Also, notice how much taller top-to-bottom the photo portion of the Seaton is as well--his photo portion is several millimeters longer than others resulting in thin borders on the top and bottom, mine also shows this...
http://www.starsofthediamond.com/seatonzee11.JPG

Also it is strange that they would add the boxes to the Ryan card, it seems more likely that they 1st issued him w/ the boxes and then made him like everyone else, but that is a guess. Anyways, here is the Ryan sans boxes...
http://www.starsofthediamond.com/11zeeryanportland.JPG

-Rhett

Vintagecatcher
11-29-2009, 11:35 PM
While putting together my virtual library of scans of 1911 Zeenuts, I have been surprised that no one has mentioned the unusual design on this card:

Patrick

ethicsprof
11-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Brian,
very,very interesting.
i have only the NORMAL 1911 zeenut and am my 'usual green with envy' self when i see your fascinating anomalies.
best,

barry

shammus
11-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Rhett - nice observation on the Seaton. I noticed something similar - it seemed to me that my Seaton is physically taller than several other z11s I held it up too. Almost as though it was cut to entirely different dimensions. I didn't really pay too much attention to that though because we all know how inconsistant Zeenuts are with their dimensions sometimes!

Patrick - like the Patterson...HUGE lettering! I think I have that one too with captions that size....

Barry - appreciate the kind words and support as always buddy!

tbob
12-01-2009, 10:33 AM
If anyone wants to tackle a master set of 1911 Zeenuts, a word of friendly caution, there are a ton of subtle size differentials in this set, some cards have as many as 3 different sizes, a "small", "medium" and "large" pose variations. I thought that there weren't that many Zeenut collectors who were aware of some of the subtle changes but then I saw a "large" pose variation of a card on ebay about a couple of months ago in F-G condition which went for a ton and shocked most non-Zeenut fanatics because of the price at which it sold, so there are some astute collectors out there :-)

Eidted to say that the seller probably had no clue about the size of the pose as there wasn't any mention of it in the copy.

Leon
12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Tbob- you are absolutely correct in the font sizes. When I got the Trucker boy find there were over 100 1911 Z's. I ended up keeping examples of a large font, Weaver and a Halla.....These were new to the hobby and it was great seeing how they were collected. It is very interesting to see the different varieties. I called the fonts ....small, medium and large :). Here are 2 showing the differences well

Jacklitsch
12-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Leon:

The font size is a new wrinkle as well. I think Bob was referring to the "pose". There are a number of Z11's where the same pose is sized differently the three ways. I know Ben is a collector who goes after the pose size variations. I don't, so it wasn't me. :)

Leon
12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Leon:

The font size is a new wrinkle as well. I think Bob was referring to the "pose". There are a number of Z11's where the same pose is sized differently the three ways. I know Ben is a collector who goes after the pose size variations. I don't, so it wasn't me. :)

Hey Steve
I guess I read into it what I was thinking :(.

Ok.....have ya' ever noticed those different font sizes? Man, are they wild or what? :cool: