PDA

View Full Version : 1934 goudey on ebay

Robextend
11-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Something seems off here, am I wrong?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1934-John-Blondy-Ryan-Goudey_W0QQitemZ200409365032QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ Baseball?hash=item2ea9543a28

Pup6913
11-26-2009, 10:16 PM
That is the most vivid 34 Goudey I have ever laid eyes on. Smells funny. JMO:cool:

fkw
11-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Are you asking if its authentic or altered?

It is easily seen as authentic, ........ dark blue strip at bottom extends farther than the light blue along the left and right borders, also the thin line below Gehrigs portrait is OK and the "y" in "Says" is OK too (all of these are often messed up when the reprints crop the photo)

But altered??? I cant say for sure

I see a print spot below his last name on front, and some corners that are very sharp (trim?)

ChiefBenderForever
11-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Someone may have erased a small mark in upper right hand corner but not bad. Extremely white borders was probably in a pack opened years later and not handled very much or exposed to light,very fresh decent card imo, probably wouldn't grade higher than a 5.

jabiloxi
11-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Looks good to me, maybe trimmed...I don't think so though. As far as grading goes, probably a 5.5, I hesitate because of the mark or whatever yo call it underneath the "Ryan". I really like learning more about what designates authentic cards from fakes. I have been collecting Goudeys for a couple years now and I always learn something new.

fkw
11-27-2009, 02:10 PM
This is where I look... edges of photo area, colors dont line up perfectly (red boxes), the bottom of the image area is usually cropped and the thin line under Gehrigs face and the bottom of the "y" is cut off (cropped).

Also the uniform and the border blend together good, most reprints will crop the photo and add a new white border (too white compared to the rest of the card)

But a homemade fake (inkjet printer glued front and back together) made from a scan of an authentic card will look authentic
http://centuryoldcards.com/images/1934r320example.jpg

Ladder7
11-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Though the borders look ample. That top edge is iffy. Clean card though.

Chris Counts
11-27-2009, 04:47 PM
He's got another '34 Goudey, plus a Play Ball and a couple Bowmans. Every card has perfect razor sharp corners, yet none are graded.

Robextend
11-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks guys, whenever I see something iffy I like to put it out there. I think I will stay on the cautious side this time.

tedzan
11-27-2009, 08:31 PM
The seller's Feedback history (low# notwithstanding) is very positive. He has sold T206's and Goudey's (mostly
commons) that are legit cards.

The fact that he chooses not to grade them (irrespective of how sharp some of these cards are) is immaterial.
I and many other collectors I know have Nr-Mint vintage cards that are not graded.

I don't know this seller, but consider this....if he was altering these cards, or if these were reproductions, why
waste your time with commons ? ?

TED Z

Robextend
11-28-2009, 06:10 AM
That is a good point, however I do know of cases in the past where sellers have sold trimmed commons. Might be a waste of time, but it does certainly occur.