PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion...Wagner t206-the age old question

sportfan23
11-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Hello,

This is my first post and I found this place because I have a Wagner T206 card which I believe to be a reprint-as the possibility of it being real is horribly low.

I took some large pics of the front and back (there are scratches on the case of the front of the cards). The back is printed in blue and most card collectors in my area can't give me an answer. Anyways, I wanted an expert opinion because I am willing to send mine in to PSA.

BUT I am hoping I can save money by coming here first.

Any opinion is welcome and I heard this place is an excellent source for collectors like me -who probably have been "taken for ride" in the card business before, as reprints are everywhere and increasingly easier to reproduce.

Thanks Phil
http://i47.tinypic.com/apjs0h.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/1tmxvk.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/33vi5gl.jpg

dstudeba
11-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Sorry, but your gut is right. I would not send it to PSA as it is a reprint.

SethY
11-26-2009, 08:16 PM
I am the furthest thing from an expert and if I were you I would not get too worried after reading my post because I know nothing regarding this subject compared to most of the guys around here, but I still might as well put in my opinion.

I can't tell anything from the front, but the "wear and tear" on the back of the card shows patterns that seem very calculated, and too perfect regarding their placement and variations in design. Does any one else see the same thing as I do? I have seen wear and tear on many cards and do not often see such perfect grooves and similar marks across an entire card.

This is just my opinion and I am sure many others can help. I hope it is real just as much as you!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Seth

rdwyer
11-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Player Name and Team Name:

All genuine T206s, they are printed in solid, deep BROWN letters, not fuzzy dots. Reprints show they are printed in composition of color dots.
You can clearly see the different under a high power (x10) magnifier.

Border Line Around the Colored Photo:

Every genuine T206 cards, they are printed in solid black pinstripe separating the white border from the colored photo. Reprints show the line as a string of dark dots. You can see the different under a high power (x10) magnifier.

Letter Size on Team Name and League Designation:

On a genuine example, the first letters on team name and league designation are in larger size than the rest of other letters. Reprints usually has one size on all letters.

Steve D
11-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like a fake to me.

There should be a solid black line around the central image (orange background and uniform). I do not see one on this card. Even with the wear on the card (which just doesn't look right), there should be evidence of this black border. Many of the known fake Wagners share this diagnostic condition of a missing border.

Also, regarding the wear around the edges.....real T206s don't wear like this. The wear on this card matches the contrived wear inflicted on fakes, to try to make them appear old.

Therefore, I would not waste my money on submitting it.

Steve

ChiefBenderForever
11-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Nice rust effect

FrankWakefield
11-26-2009, 08:50 PM
For under $20 you can get a uv light on eBay... Last one I saw was $16 for shipping and all. If that card of yours is illuminated with black light, it will fluoresce, because it is printed on paper that is 60 years old or less, paper that has had brighteners added. As they're saying above, the card is a reprint. I suggest you get a black light, a uv light, then illuminate some real T206s along with that one, then you'll see the proof.

iggyman
11-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Just in case you need a 12th opinion...

coun⋅ter⋅feit

1. an imitation intended to be passed off fraudulently or deceptively as genuine; forgery.

By the way, even the rust is fake...

Lovely Day...

Ladder7
11-26-2009, 09:13 PM
There's always hope., I hear these guys can help! ;)
http://www.bobconnelly.com/honuswagnert206.html

GrayGhost
11-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Sorry your card is a fake, but if you consign it to Coach's corner, theyd send it to FCG (Famous Card Grading) and it would be entombed FCG 1

fkw
11-26-2009, 10:01 PM
That card is an easy one, missing the thin black line around the photo and the "G" on the uniform is touching the border. Both of these show that the photo was cropped when they designed this reprint.

Leon
11-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I know of some guys that might buy it :eek:.

Rich Klein
11-27-2009, 11:52 AM
But there is about 0 percent in 1000 that your card is anything but a bad fake.

Don't even need to look twice

Rich

sportfan23
11-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

Oh, god, I know about the Cobb/Edwards wagner issue. To think of it this card does look alot like the Cobb/Edwards "wagner". Well, I guess my dreams of living easy for a couple of years are gone .lol.

I guess I'll keep my day job. :D

Marckus99
11-27-2009, 12:45 PM
ah..nope.

Mark

Jewish-collector
11-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Has it ever happened on this or any previous Net54 board where someone actually found a (unlike Phil's reprint) a REAL T206 Wagner ?

John V
11-29-2009, 06:17 PM
I just read the article in the Winter 2009 issue of Memories and Dreams and wondered the same thing. Is anyone familiar with any T206 Wagner finds?

Steve D
11-29-2009, 06:59 PM
I just read the article in the Winter 2009 issue of Memories and Dreams and wondered the same thing. Is anyone familiar with any T206 Wagner finds?

The only recent one I can think of is the Beckett Wagner last year.

Steve

John V
11-29-2009, 08:33 PM
What's the story?

Steve D
11-29-2009, 08:48 PM
What's the story?

Follow the Linky :)

http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_70.html

steve B
11-29-2009, 09:32 PM
I was at the auction in Ct of one that was found a few years ago. Thanksgiving weekend auction, big batch of t205 + 206 sold through an auction that mostly does antiques.

Funny thing, I watched it pass through 4 more auctions in the next year and a half or so, and its condition got better each time. No modifiications, just hype. Went from a solid pr-fr to a solid vg. Still with the same multiple creases and writing in the back.

The other odd thing was that I'd figured on being excited seeing it, but had almost the opposite reaction. It was just a card, and a pretty beat one at that.