PDA

View Full Version : Should we have a sports talk section?

Leon
11-23-2009, 10:58 AM
I was thinking that a lot of us, sort of "me" not included, like to talk sports. Would it make sense to have a sports chat section on this board? That way our members could talk about anything they want to, from any sport, and not worry about it being off topic......Just a thought.....And of course major events could still be put on the main board and treated as an off topic thread.

Rich Klein
11-23-2009, 11:05 AM
We figured that after the beloved Yankees won their 28th World Championship; maybe our call to show all pre-war Cards and Memorabilia of the beloved Yankees won't be drowned out by a politically motivated post :D

And then that OTHER post could be moved to such a forum :p

Regards
Rich

Leon
11-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Win their 28th World Championship; maybe my call to show all pre-war Cards and Memorabilia of the beloved Yankees won't be drowned out by a politically motivated post :D

And then that OTHER post could be moved to such a forum :p

Regards
Rich

Rich- by my calculations you should be driving to Tin Star right about now to meet me for lunch.......Don't be late. I am hungry!!

drc
11-23-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm not one to ordinarily post about the latest games, but I think it's a good idea. Certainly, there would be no harm. Be forewarned, I'm not a Yankees fan.

Bamacollection
11-23-2009, 01:00 PM
What about a "General" page that would include all "O/T" threads as well. Sort of an open forum. This would be great for those who want to talk about the goings on in the sports world, eBay and it's problems, and a place to vent about any other situations. It can also serve as a place to post the "I didn't know where to post this" post. Just a thought.

Leon
11-23-2009, 01:16 PM
What about a "General" page that would include all "O/T" threads as well. Sort of an open forum. This would be great for those who want to talk about the goings on in the sports world, eBay and it's problems, and a place to vent about any other situations. It can also serve as a place to post the "I didn't know where to post this" post. Just a thought.

Not bad suggestions Lance however, most of what you said can be done on the main board. I just thought/think there might be enough folks wanting to talk current sports that it might make sense to have a section devoted to it. For the most part I think too many sections is not a good thing. That being said I wouldn't want to prevent conversations concerning sports because we don't have an area for our members to chat about them...that's all. We'll see....

ChiefBenderForever
11-23-2009, 01:42 PM
I voted yes since I don't really read any other boards like espn or radio stations boards. I did want to mention the latest Joe Mauer rumors since he is the best hitter in baseball but didn't want to start an off topic thread, anyways latest is Red Sox are going to offer 7 years at 25 mill and twins are only at 4 years so Yankees better get moving !!

Kawika
11-23-2009, 02:10 PM
One vote for YES (but please let's still keep the politics and incivilities to a dull roar).

barrysloate
11-23-2009, 02:18 PM
No longer a rumor...Mauer is the MVP.

RichardSimon
11-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I voted yes since I don't really read any other boards like espn or radio stations boards. I did want to mention the latest Joe Mauer rumors since he is the best hitter in baseball but didn't want to start an off topic thread, anyways latest is Red Sox are going to offer 7 years at 25 mill and twins are only at 4 years so Yankees better get moving !!

7 years at $25 mill,,, that is what they pay for a middle reliever now,,,
i think Mauer is gonna wind up with a heck of a lot more money than that.

Bamacollection
11-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Leon- I know you permit most of what I mentioned. But it always seems when someone posts an O/T, there is someone else who thinks it should be removed or becomes irritated that someone else has any concern other than vintage cardboard. I know what this board is all about. But, I also know that most of us are human as well. I personally would love a section devoted to the random mishaps of life. You'll kill two birds...No more O/T on the main board & no more arguing about what should be on the main board. It is nice to be given an opinion and this is all this is... my opinion. Thanks for the great place to hang out!

Lance

sbfinley
11-23-2009, 03:07 PM
I think it's a great idea, but not because I think it clutters the main board. As a fan of all sports, I love discussing it all. In general I think most of the people on the board are the same way. I would never think to drop a post about say, college football, on the main board, but if we had somewhere to discuss such topics I think it would be a hit. I also think that the quality of the conversations would be much better and smarter than what you get on Fanhouse, ESPN, etc.

ChiefBenderForever
11-23-2009, 04:09 PM
7 years at $25 mill,,, that is what they pay for a middle reliever now,,,
i think Mauer is gonna wind up with a heck of a lot more money than that.

25 mill a year for a middle reliver ? Twins are trying desperately to get him signed but right now stuck at 25 mill a year for four years. Red Sox let his agent know they will go 7 years at 25 mill a year. Same thing happened with Hunter and the Angels but you really can't compare Mauer to Hunter. Yankees have yet to step in but they have a lot of time so hopefully the Twins get something done before it's to late.

drc
11-23-2009, 08:19 PM
http://nsslha.rso.wisc.edu/images/Bucky_Badger.jpg

+++k 'Em Bucky, Go Blue

Kawika
11-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Ya might want to do some editing there.

teetwoohsix
11-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I think Lance nailed it,and I think it sounds like a good idea(just my opinion).Then I can exploit my fanatical hopes of THE DODGERS actually making it to the World Series next year.LETS GO DODGERS!!!!!!!!!!

drc
11-23-2009, 09:02 PM
David Mc, it is an obscene word that was edited by this site. It's a standard old time U of Wisconsin phrase, though not officially endorsed by the university administration.

Jantz
11-23-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't see any harm in having a forum for sports talk. So I guess it would be a good thing. I probably won't be on there much since I'm a Cleveland fan.

Seriously, the Browns had a 6 point lead with NO time remaining on the clock and still lost! :(

Oh well, maybe next decade...oops...I mean next year.

Jantz

Kawika
11-23-2009, 09:15 PM
It's an obscene word that I employ at least twenty-five times a day. I can work it in three times in a five word sentence. But it's a slippery slope as far as Net54 is concerned. Use it once and before you know it we're just another internet cesspool. Just sayin'.

drc
11-23-2009, 09:18 PM
David Mc, it is an obscene word that was edited by this site. It's a standard U of Wisconsin phrase that is older than I am.

teetwoohsix
11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Don't give up hope Jantz-I don't think you'll have to wait ten years-and,nice edit Leon..................another Dodger fan maybe?:D

toppcat
11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
An O/T subforum would be a good idea IMHO, just keep religion and politics out of the mix....

Leon
11-24-2009, 07:30 AM
David Mc, it is an obscene word that was edited by this site. It's a standard old time U of Wisconsin phrase, though not officially endorsed by the university administration.

Actually David, I consider you a good friend and member, but I am the one that edited it. We can't have the F bomb flying around, regardless of how it's used or where it's used elsewhere. We have some very young audience on our board. It can be a phrase anywhere else (I use it under my breath, often) but please, not on this board. thanks much

Leon
11-24-2009, 08:32 AM
BTW, we are getting a fresh back up on our forum (never hurts) so if I hit the wrong button, and we go into outer space, we will be able to be back up and running in no time. Once that is done, hopefully today, I will fiddle around a little and go ahead and make a forum for OT and one for Sports talk. I think a little bit of OT on the main board is a good thing so don't want to ever stop that totally. To me, it keeps things a bit more lively. Also, I doubt we will have too many rules in the OT area....so I guess politics and religion can be discussed? Once we make those forums we can chat and see what most folks want. Unless I see, or hear something different, I am leaning towards doing/trying these areas.....

barrysloate
11-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Why would anyone want to discuss religion on Net54?

Jim VB
11-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Why would anyone want to discuss religion on Net54?

So we can sell cards of Jewish players?

Leon
11-24-2009, 09:02 AM
I am a little curious of anyone's thoughts that voted against trying this section? I always like to hear the other side of the story to make a more informed decision. Would anyone that voted "no" like to chime in as to why? I am sure there might be some good reasons and would like to hear them. The only thing I can imagine is that it could take away from the main board but maybe (probably) I am not thinking of everything. Anyone?
BTW, as I said in the initial post, this section certainly isn't about "me" wanting it as I don't keep up with most current sports too much. I am in the vast minority but I just don't care to keep up with them. I watch them a little but that's about it. My wife is an avid sports fan though and keeps up with a lot of them. Quite honestly I could care less about most current major league sports.... but that is just me.

barrysloate
11-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Couldn't one sell a rookie card of Sandy Koufax without feeling the need to quote passages from the Old Testament?

JohnBrownsElbow
11-24-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm just a long time lurker but I voted no. My reason is that anytime over the last 12 years or so that I've been active on the internet that I've seen a good topic-specific message board like this one start to go down that off-topic path, it ends up tearing the board apart. People can be very intense about their sports and politics. There are plenty of message boards for that stuff, and I think that the current system of only having the occasional off-topic thread here on the main board is a good way to keep the sports/political emotions in check.

Even though I only lurk, I love this message board and would hate to see it go downhill.

Leon
11-24-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm just a long time lurker but I voted no. My reason is that anytime over the last 12 years or so that I've been active on the internet that I've seen a good topic-specific message board like this one start to go down that off-topic path, it ends up tearing the board apart. People can be very intense about their sports and politics. There are plenty of message boards for that stuff, and I think that the current system of only having the occasional off-topic thread here on the main board is a good way to keep the sports/political emotions in check.

Even though I only lurk, I love this message board and would hate to see it go downhill.

Thanks much for chiming in. It is this kind of feedback I need/want to hear. I will keep it in mind as we wade through the decision making process. The good thing about this site is we can be flexible and make changes...then if it doesn't work out, we can revert back to what it was before. I like having seperate sections to keep mostly on topic on the main board......Thanks again for the good feedback!!

barrysloate
11-24-2009, 10:10 AM
If we limit the off-topic section to current sports talk, it should remain reasonably friendly. Even two people arguing over who is better, the Yankees or Red Sox, are no different than two friends arguing sports over a couple of beers. It's harmless.

But if you do allow politics then the discussions can and will get ugly. It's a very polarizing area and there is very little agreement on any politically charged topic.

So I don't see any way the board can go downhill simply by letting people chat about what's going on in the sport's world.

Bamacollection
11-24-2009, 10:34 AM
2 Rules: Choose your battles wisely and respect your opponent. We are all here for the same respective reason in the first place.

Jim VB
11-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Couldn't one sell a rookie card of Sandy Koufax without feeling the need to quote passages from the Old Testament?

I was joking Barry, but I always find it humorous when a seller thinks he's marketing well by screaming "Jewish Ballplayer!"

Even Legendary did it in their just closed auction. Pages 354 and 355 specialized in that sub-category. I find it insulting to collectors.

teetwoohsix
11-24-2009, 11:34 AM
I agree that the talk of religion should not be part of a sports talk section-there are other places for that,and it does seem like the O/T subjects that go on have something to do with sports,selling sport related item,ebay card transactions(or ebay flaws),birthdays/places of birth of sport stars,etc........

barrysloate
11-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Jim- I was joking too, but I find it a little offensive to market players as Jewish (I'm guilty of it too). Can I offer a card by saying: "Joe Smith was a fine Episcopalian pitcher." It sounds a little offensive, don't you think?

calvindog
11-24-2009, 12:20 PM
So we can sell cards of Jewish players?

LOL! Mort, you're killing me here!

drc
11-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Leon, you'll be happy to know the other UW saying is "Go Badgers." I was indoctrinated young, as one of the first stuffed toys given to me as a toddler was a Bucky Badger. And, yes, I've heard my mother and sister say the other saying.

p.s., for those who missed it, Leon jokingly 'bleeped' over 'Badgers' in 'Go Badgers.' I thought it was my error and went back and fixed it.

Leon
11-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Leon, you'll be happy to know the other UW saying is "Go Badgers." I was indoctrinated young, as one of the first stuffed toys given to me as a toddler was a Bucky Badger. And, yes, I've heard my mother and sister say the other saying.

p.s., for those who missed it, Leon jokingly 'bleeped' over 'Badgers' in 'Go Badgers.' I thought it was my error and went back and fixed it.

Hey David, no worries. For the record though...the only thing I did was put x's where the f u c were....as I don't really want F-bombs on the board....I understand it might be an old alumni saying but still.......

On a final note on this subject- It looks like roughly 83%-84% of our respondents don't have an issue with a sports talk place. For the moment I am not going to institute an off topic place because our main board can still be used for them as long as they are per the forum rules.....which basically says that OT is permitted mainly for everyday members and they should be kept to a bit of a minimum. HOWEVER, we just had our data back up finished this morning and I have asked Brian M to change the icon that says Net54 Postwar Sportscards to Net54 Postwar Cards and Watercooler Talk. After he does that, which should be in the next day or two, I will add a "Sports Talk" forum to that section. I am going to put it right under the Net54 Postwar Baseball subcategory, which will be 2nd from the top. The reason for that is because that is where I feel the importance stacks up. ALL of the categories will still be there, they will just be pushed down one notch. ANY and ALL sports can be talked about in that section. That does NOT mean you can't do an off topic about a sports situation on the main board, when warranted, but it will give a place where it's not off topic and no one needs to have worries on posting there...Hope this helps as we/I try to make Net54baseball.com the best place on the net....especially for talking pre-war baseball cards. :)

yanksfan09
11-25-2009, 10:00 AM
I vote yes but also feel politics should be left out of this and hope people don't turn it into a slug-fest.

I listen to sports talk radio everyday and think this could start some good discussions. Let's give it a try. It could always be undone if it turned out bad I would think.

Leon
11-25-2009, 10:07 AM
I vote yes but also feel politics should be left out of this and hope people don't turn it into a slug-fest.

I listen to sports talk radio everyday and think this could start some good discussions. Let's give it a try. It could always be undone if it turned out bad I would think.

There was a discussion for 2 different places, actually. One for Sports Talk and one for Off Topic. ONLY the Sports Talk one made the final cut.....so any off topic will still be on the main board and nothing has changed with that....per the forum rules. And I agree.....if it doesn't work out it can be nixed. I can't imagine a Sports Talk sub-forum not working though.....:confused:

Leon
11-27-2009, 07:44 AM
It's over there....and I decided to make it the top category in that section. I/we can always move it, or even get rid of it, if it doesn't work out.....Thanks to Brian M for getting the Icon straightened out. I doubt this place will go to hell in a handbag from having that section......Thanks to all who voted and participated in the thinking. I feel with over 85% approving or not caring, it was worth a try.....breast regards