PDA

View Full Version : Someone's going to be disappointed

slidekellyslide
11-20-2009, 11:21 PM
When they pay an exorbitant amount for a baseball with a bunch of facsimile signatures on it.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?itemid=5488463&r=y

Ladder7
11-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Jeez, good thing it's a write-off

prewarsports
11-21-2009, 09:23 AM
I did not know Goodwill did online auctions. I guess it is smart but I bet it hurts their business in the long run because people will stop going trying to find something old and valuable if they are putting everything that fits that criteria on their online auctions.

I put myself through college in the late 1990's by buying antiques at thrift stores and selling them on ebay. I am glad I dont have to try and do that again.

slidekellyslide
11-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Not every city participates in the Goodwill online auctions, but for the most part it's no longer worth going to Goodwill to try and find a treasure...I know I rarely go anymore...Not necessarily because of the online auction aspect but because they no longer carry toys since the Made in China lead paint scare...which means they no longer carry any toys at all and I used to find valuable vintage toys there all the time.

theantiquetiger
11-21-2009, 01:08 PM
I look on ShopGoodWill all the time. I bought four little handpuppets (Wonder Woman, Green Hornet, Spideman, & Thor) for about $150. Got them in, cleaned them up, had a friend make reproduction header cards, and sold them for about $700.

I did let the people bidding on them know the packagings were reproduction.

The Green Hornet was about a $2000 puppet mint in original bag. Wonder Woman was about $1200 MIP.

theantiquetiger
11-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Vintage bobble heads come up on ShopGoodWill all the time (hope I didn't spoil someone's secret).

It is not much of a secret though, because the bobbleheads never go cheap.

drc
11-21-2009, 01:52 PM
I met a local woman who's elderly father got a vintage school notepaper book with like 200-300 Pre-War baseball signatures inside include Ruth, Thorpe, Bender, Foxx, etc at Goodwill in the 1970s for the price of an used notepaper book. She showed it to me and it was the real deal.