PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what causes this?

teetwoohsix
11-20-2009, 03:57 PM
I bought this card raw a while back,the seller said "the registry"was a little off.I don't have a scanner,so I hope you can see what I mean.The color of his lips are actually above his lips,and you can see the color of his hat is above the hat line.I don't think this is considered a print freak-is it?I am wondering if all of the other cards that came from this sheet would be the same way?Thanks for any input-Clayton

Jacklitsch
11-20-2009, 04:05 PM
That's too bad.

Here's what he's supposed to look like:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/jacklitsch1/T206%20Graded/ONeil.jpg

Jim VB
11-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I bought this card raw a while back,the seller said "the registry"was a little off.I don't have a scanner,so I hope you can see what I mean.The color of his lips are actually above his lips,and you can see the color of his hat is above the hat line.I don't think this is considered a print freak-is it?I am wondering if all of the other cards that came from this sheet would be the same way?Thanks for any input-Clayton

Generally, all of the other cards from that particular sheet would be the same way. The sheet went through the press multiple times (one for each color.) This sheet wasn't aligned properly on at least one pass. It's a pretty common problem, especially back then.

teetwoohsix
11-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the explanation JimVB,I knew I could get the answer here.
Steve-how about a trade?Wouldn't you rather have the "red above the lips version"?:D

iggyman
11-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I like it....I think you have a unique card there. Doesn't add anything to the value but interesting Marilyn Monroe card nonetheless...

Lovely Day...

Jim VB
11-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the explanation JimVB,I knew I could get the answer here.
Steve-how about a trade?Wouldn't you rather have the "red above the lips version"?:D

Clayton,

Talk to Ted Z. He's the expert here. He can tell you how many different color passes were made and, I think, in what order.

drc
11-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Each color had its own printing plate (usually multiple for black), and if the plates weren't aligned in printing, one or more colors were off. Same thing can happen in Topps cards.

tedzan
11-20-2009, 06:03 PM
The American Lithographic Co. (based in NYC) printed most of the T-cards from 1909 - 1917 (except T204's
and T216's). It's founder, Joseph P. Knapp, invented the machinery which perfected the 6-color lithographic
process. The ink colors were applied in the following order......

BLACK
YELLOW
BROWN
BLUE
GREEN
RED

Therefore, 6 passes through the printing press were required. Occasionally, the cardboard was not precisely
aligned in the press track, poor registration resulted (such as your O'Neil card). Quality Control, for the most
part, would reject such a copy. However, many T206's were not rejected.

TED Z

teetwoohsix
11-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks Ted,I was hoping you were watching,and I appreciate your knowledge.It amazes me how much knowledge you have on T206's,and I learn alot from your threads and posts-thank you for responding.
Iggyman-it's a Marylin Manson card,not Marylin Monroe:eek:

Jantz
11-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi Clayton

I just wanted comment further on what Ted Z. said. Problems like this also occurred with the borders on T206s if these sheets were mis-aligned during the cutting process. Thats why the borders on T206s are so erratic.

I have the privilege of working with a gentleman who has 34 years of experience in the printing industry. He was the top print setter for a company when he retired. Periodically I ask him questions like yours and have shown him a few of my T206s. The guy is very knowlegeable and I've learned alot from him already.

To me, it looks like Mr.O'Neil has a Kool-aid moustache. :D

Jantz