PDA

View Full Version : 1953 Bowman Blog - Vote for your favorite card

Dean's Cards
11-19-2009, 06:17 PM
We have posted our 1953 Bowman (http://blog.deanscards.com/2009/11/12/1953-bowman-baseball-card-set/) baseball card blog. Please feel free to leave your comments about the set and vote for your favorite card.

Also, feel free to sign up for the Dean's Cards (http://www.deanscards.com) Newsletter that comes out every other week. Just enter your e-mail in the lower left hand corner of the home page.

Thanks,

Dean

Chris Counts
11-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Here's my Top Ten:

1) Pee Wee Reese
2) Bob Feller
3) Whitey Lockman
4) Gil Hodges
5) Stan Musial
6) Roy McMillan
7) Luke Easter
8) Roy Campanella
9) Enos Slaughter
10) Minnie Minoso

Dean's Cards
11-19-2009, 06:56 PM
There is pictures of the top 5 cards.

Thanks,

Dean

JasonL
11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
but just for the sake of continuing this conversation here...
I voted for the Reese of the ones you have pictured, but my faves are actually not listed there...but I share your enthusiasm for the set in general. It is a standout pioneer in color photogrpahy on ball cards, in my opinion...and very unique imagery, I agree.

My 5, in no order, really:
Eddie Mathews
Warren Spahn
Roy Campanella
Minnie Minoso
Tie: Ashburn (bat rack card! sort of) and Rizzuto.

With special mention going to the:
Boudreau
Feller
Garagiola
and the aforementioned Reese card

GoldenAge50s
11-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Most people pick the Reese as their favorite card in the set--I find it to be a too far away shot & very blurry & grainy!

For the simple pure beauty of a photo on a card, how can you beat the #33 of Stan Musial?

drdduet
11-25-2009, 04:06 PM
The Bauer, Berra, and Mantle card.

paul
11-25-2009, 08:30 PM
My favorites are Reese, Berra, Ford, Musial, and Slaughter. And the Early Wynn is not bad. I also like Stengel and Mize from the black & white set.

ChiefBenderForever
11-26-2009, 08:43 AM
The Reese makes you feel like you are back in time at the game and the Mantle is just timeless.

Volod
12-17-2009, 01:59 AM
My fave has always been the Whitey Lockman card for reasons as subjective as the Reese card long being considered the standout in the set. The Dodger shortstop was caught high in mid-air in an unusual action shot that imprinted many eight-year-old NY-ers in '53 who apparently never forgot their awestruck first impression. In '53, in my area of Ohio, most cards of NY players were hard to come by, or not found at all. But, when I opened a wax pack of mostly doubles of A's or Browns, and uncovered a pristine shot of Lockman in an action pose, it burned into my childish memory like few other cards ever did.