PDA

View Full Version : OT, Heartwarming. Please read.

Ladder7
11-18-2009, 06:41 AM
A week ago I had made a comment in another thread, appealing for 'no longer needed computer peripherals'. For my son's High School computer workstations in W Africa.

I received an email from JimVB and he asked if there was anything else the kids needed. Mike had asked me earlier in the week, "If you can find anyone with an old Play Station 2, we (The American volunteers) could use it here!!!" They have a TV in the Peace Corps' office that receives two channels one is grainy, French soap operas :eek: and they could use a diversion.

Getting to the point., I receive the items below from JimVB. Yes, all brand new. They'll be thrilled! On behalf of the Burkina Peace Corps kids, my deepest thankyou Jim. You went well above and beyond!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/oche16/family/ps2.jpg

Also I want to thank AnthonyS for his box of optical computer mouses. I have received a good amount of peripherals thusfar and will begin packing them up this weekend.

The clearly-out-of-their-element American teachers begin to cruise the wild streets of Burkina. Later, they were charged by a pair of bull elephants protecting their herd and the guide was unable to load the shotgun because he brought the wrong shells! Luckily, the truck struck a small tree that must have startled the beasts.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2561/4016216219_4cf112f274_b.jpg

"No, we're not in Boston anymore."
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3625/3398270081_07cb17f7a9_b.jpg

Pardon my lengthy post. Gratefully, Steve F

Matt
11-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Nice job, all around. kudos to all!

GrayGhost
11-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Fantastic story. Jim VB..thats a great thing to do indeed, shows a ton of class and compassion as well.

RichardSimon
11-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Kudos to Jim VB, that was a great thing to do.

Leon
11-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Jim- that was a very nice thing to do. ......thanks from all of us.

Al C.risafulli
11-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Jim VB is one of the best.

-Al

Jim VB
11-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Jim VB is one of the best.

-Al

Crap.

Next thing you know Lichtman will be calling me a great guy.

ChiefBenderForever
11-18-2009, 09:31 AM
That was a wonderful thing to do Jim VB !

teetwoohsix
11-18-2009, 11:12 AM
JimVB and Anthony-the world needs more people like you two.Much Respect,Clayton

barrysloate
11-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Jim and Anthony are both great people...there is a lot of good in the world.

ethicsprof
11-18-2009, 12:16 PM
yes,indeed, kudos to two of the best fellows around!!!

a most worthy cause.

best,
barry

Ladder7
11-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Sorry to have embarrassed you Jim and Anthony, but feel it's an important acknowledgment.

This AM, I removed all the items from the packages and hid them inside food boxes! (So Mr Customs fellow doesn't charge the kids postal tariffs). Occasionally, the Americans are required to open the packages in front of an inspector. The box is now on the way to W Africa and should arrive in time for Xmas.

I was told by previous Peace Corp workers to always address the boxes using red ink, otherwise they may get pilfered. Some religious thing I reckon... It works., Thus far, we've sent close to sixty large, UNinsured packages to W Africa via USPS and he's received every one without a problem. His colleagues report similar good fortune. Unbelievable track record eh?

Next shipment, I have to replace his iPod Touch. Mike will be surprised to open the new 2G model. Thanks again for your generosity guys!

calvindog
11-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Crap.

Next thing you know Lichtman will be calling me a great guy.

Jim, you're such a great guy that you're NOT a great guy.