PDA

View Full Version : Another 1954 Bowman "loop" variation

Bob Lemke
11-16-2009, 06:59 AM

Collector Peter Eilenberg has reported another 1954 Bowman loop / no loop variation. More details are on my blog posting linked below.

mintacular
11-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Very cool variation. How many do you think exist/how rare?

GoldenAge50s
11-17-2009, 06:59 PM
It just so happens that my recent submission to SGC included both the '54 Roe & Erskine & I know for a fact that the Roe has the loop because I noticed it in preparing them--I have no idea about the Erskine until I open the package.

It is sitting here right behind me on the floor and as soon as I get them unpacked I'll post some pics.

PS---I like to "age" my newly graded cards for a few days before I open them---I have this firm belief the grades get better that way! LOL!!!

GoldenAge50s
11-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Bob--

Unpacked some of my graded cards today---Here is the Roe w/ loop:

The Erskine is rather interesting! While it does not have the 2 loops shown on your Blog example, it certainly has the remnant of the 1st loop!

Leads me to believe it was partially airbrushed, but not completely.

Looks like we could possibly have several versions out there, depending on the thoroughness of the airbrushing---kinda like the '89 Fleer Billy Ripken maybe?????? Heaven forbid!!! LOL!

JasonL
11-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Why would these loops exist if they are not present in the white borders of these cards? Were the images somehow linked before they were separated and printed on card stock?
I know I am not very bright, so please forgive me if I am just not aware of the printing process, but I would appreciate it if someone can explain how the loops would merge onto another image without being present on the borders...
Thanks!

Bob Lemke
11-21-2009, 11:37 AM
We'd have to see one of the 1954B printing plates from that attic find to get a clue.

My best w-a-g is that the card images were laid out, then the borders stripped over them.