PDA

View Full Version : Help with Photo Dating - 1870's?

vintagesportflips
11-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Hey guys,

I picked up this photo in the last Mears auction, and wanted to see if I can garner some input as far as dating. I was thinking 1870's based on the equipment, the 2 toned leather shoes, etc. Do you think I am right on this? Mears called it 1890s, but I thought it was alot earlier than that. I hope to be able to id it eventually given the WC on the bib fronts, and the fact that the players are id'd. The photo measures about 9 x 11.

Also, one thing that bothers me a bit about it, and wasn't mentioned in the auction description, is that there are the following markings on back: Return to Library, (Sports - Baseball - Historic), and Filed 3/10/33. I know alot of libraries sell items/books from their collections, but would these markings bother any of you from either a collecting or resale standpoint?

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n193/kjjavic/WCphoto1870s.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n193/kjjavic/WC1870scanback.jpg

barrysloate
11-15-2009, 06:38 PM
I think ca. 1880 would be about right. Could even be late 70's. Those mustaches were popular in the 80's, but a few of the kids have long sideburns which is a bit earlier style.

slidekellyslide
11-15-2009, 08:31 PM
I agree with Barry...probably circa 1880..give or take a few years either way.

The library markings would bother me a bit...usually if a library gets rid of something they mark it so you know the library no longer owns it.

bmarlowe1
11-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Agree with Barry and Dan. It's probably already obvious that the C in WC likely stands for College.

prewarsports
11-15-2009, 11:32 PM
My guess is Wesleyan. They had a flourishing Baseball program in the 19th century and were among the best teams in the country. I could be wrong, but that is an off-the-hip shot at it.

I also would agree that the date is either the very late 1870's or the very early 1880's. I have an 1883 Cleveland Blues team cabinet with similar uniform types but even by then this style was "older".

Rhys

vintagesportflips
11-16-2009, 04:17 AM
Thanks alot for the help guys. My initial thought was possibly Wesleyan as well, but my research is only in it fledgling steps right now.
thanks again

drc
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
The writing on back doesn't prove the item was stolen. As noted, libraries do get rid of stuff and have sales and the 'library' doesn't automatically even mean public library. I have books with old public library stamps that I legally own. I purchased them from the library.

ramram
11-16-2009, 02:10 PM
I hate to say, but from what I'm seeing, I don't think that the image is from the 1800's, just the content. Hard to say without holding it but that image of the back doesn't look right and some of the front looks off. The coloring looks correct though.

Rob M.

barrysloate
11-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Interesting observation Rob. Based on the scan the sepia tones look period. But I questioned the typeface that identifies the players, as it looks modern. Also, the back of the mount looks white. Again, very hard to make these determinations from a scan; you really need to have it in hand.

If the photograph is a thin albumen glued to the mount, I feel good about it. If it is printed onto the mount, it probably isn't period.

19cbb
11-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Agree with both Rob and Barry.

vintagesportflips
11-16-2009, 08:27 PM
I see what you guys are saying. I'll take a closer look when I get home. The back scan came out odd, because of the size of my scanner bed (the photo is a bit larger) and it is slightly bowed making it appear a different color. The front scan that I took came out looking odd as well, so I showed Mears' scan here.