PDA

View Full Version : Very Rare Pennants Indeed

mjkm90
11-15-2009, 04:10 PM
These are the only two examples of these rare pieces I've seen or heard of. The lucky buyers will not be sorry, as these will only grow in value and, more importantly, bring years of satisfaction as collection centerpieces. If I had the space, I would have gone hard after each.

Anyone know the winners?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170404486950&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170404475396&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

MGHPro
11-15-2009, 05:33 PM
They looked like nice pieces, but something about them worried me. I kind of felt like they could be made up fantasy pieces. I'm no expert by any means, but that was my first thought.
Matt

mjkm90
11-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Good question Matt

If you look closely at the Reach, you will see the dimples or bumps in the felt. This material has not been made since the 50s. You can also see the cracking from the stiffening print. I'm confident the Reach is good. The images of the Spalding are not clear or tight enough, but it is probably fine as well.

Any other thoughts on these.

BrockJacob
11-15-2009, 06:14 PM
They look like the genuine article to me. At first glance I thought they would be mini-pennants but once I checked the descriptions and saw they were full size I was really taken back. I figured both would sell for $1,000+. I was surprised to see the Reach pennant bring less than half the Spalding version. Someone got a steal on that one. Both are incredible though.

perezfan
11-15-2009, 06:23 PM
I think they were good as well...

The felt looked correct, as did the "puckering" of the painted graphics. The only thing that seemed odd is that the seller would obtain these unique pieces without some type of explanation in the descriptions. Would have been nice to know how he/she acquired these, or if they had access to an old Sporting Goods store, etc.

I wonder how these would have done in Hunt's, Legendary or Lelands... rather than on ebay. The Hunt auction that just concluded was rich in figural pieces, but was very light on pennants.... fewest I've ever seen in one of their Catalogues. Some absolute steals on the figural stuff.

It used to be that ebay prices would be 30% lower than in the Catalogues. That may be changing. I actually think the ebay prices realized have been just about as strong lately. Even better in some cases, oddly enough.

rickybulldog50
11-15-2009, 07:30 PM
I actually contacted the seller on these and told him/her that there would be a lot of interest on these and his/her best bet was to let the auction run its course. I asked the story on them and here was his/her reply from my Ebay mail:

Dear rickybulldog50,
No real story on them; I collect pennants, mainly patriotic and local ones. Sometimes I've had to buy entire collections to get one I want or have been sold at auctions as lots instead of individual pennants. These came in a box full at a flea market in Iowa. The price was decent so I bought the lot. Thanks for looking and good luck!